Re: VERY COOL IDEA: VOTE FOR MODERATORS

questlover

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I that bad?  When's the last time I ever came around tossing my mod power on y'all.  Now KO, he can be a real hardhead HEHE....

SQF

"the friendly Moderator"..  

Heck there are people that are moderators we dont' even realize are moderators (unless you look).  It would just be a different thing to do.  Now i could see not giving that authority to a newbie.  But I think cycling through a group of moderators (say been here around a 1year) would good in the fact of bringing change every so often to the boards due to everyone's own personality.  Imagine Chiplee as a moderator, that would be entertaining.  Is this board for entertainment?  to keep people coming it should be sometimes,  but of course the car will always need be 1st.

I think unless you have been here a while and gradually learn everyone's personality alot of newbies get the "uptight" feeling.

I think fast has a good idea.  I like the idea of voting.  But that doesn't go to say we have to cycle them...Just means we would have to have Moderator meetings in chat or something.

Also I have been thinking of adding a runp to the ladder of exponentiality.  Like "Mentor"...to be between a pion and a god.   ;D  heh....have a good one guys.

now beeing on here a while i have found that not only do the newbys get the feeling that some ppl are uptight, but they actually are. But thats ok that is how some ppl are (and always will be) cant exspect to change their personality.  More then any thing their is too many Global monorators. Their should be just a few monorators that do stuff in their area or exspertese (their section).

There are a number of us mods, but there is a simple reason for that.........not all of us can be on the boards everyday, and we like to go on vacations as much as the next guy. I'm going to Vegas on Thurs....... :)

It's nice to have enough people to cover when you have 2+ mods out of town at the same time.

I'm sure some of you would make fine mods, but everyone should think about this before feeling they'd want to be one........

Most people don't understand that we each get several e-mails and messages in our inboxes a week, even a DAY, ( I once had 15 e-mails in one day!) about people complaining that "so and so is rude", "this post is wrong", "how can I become a mod", etc..... And amazingly, we get a lot of questions that could be answered if people would just look at the "site menu" on the left and nav bar the top of the screen! One person actually made a post ASKING HOW TO MAKE A POST!? lol

Some of them are valid points, while most are issues that an ordinary adult SHOULD be able to figure out for themselves. Some, I think, might just be lazy.....I've had at least 20 e-mails asking me to find an old post, "since our board doesn't have a search function"..........I can see the search button on the nav bar at the top clear as day.

And I don't tell someone I won't help, heck ALL of us ALWAYS try and help whoever asks. We even like to joke around like everyone else, but since we're mods, people think we're being, uptight.....mean.....power hungry......condescending.....etc.....

It's silly really.

Out of curiosity, but seriously, why would (any of) you like to become a moderator and what do you feel you would bring to the boards?

Lizzord - per section would be a great idea.

midnite - its sounds like you do need a vacation ;D, as far as any what anyone else can offer there can be an abundance of things.  One thing that could be brought to the table for sure - making it more open for these guys who are less likely to post generating more car talk.

Post get locked way to often and probably should never be.  There was a post about the GP dropouts along time ago.  Should of never got locked...let people speak thier minds.  Then you say (I would guess the sqclub.com moders) "We are in major discussions right now on how to set up a GP system that would protect the interest of both parties".   Like this needs to be controlled by the moderators or SQclub.com.  People use your forums to work out the deals and how they are running the GP.  That reply is suggesting you will control how the GP's are run.??  I would think the people running the GP's would control how they run.

The board users need to respond to see if this is a cool idea or not.  Thats all don't read any further into it.  It was just a neat idea to put on the wish list.

midnite - its sounds like you do need a vacation

See my post again, I'm going to Vegas this Thurs......... ;D

Post get locked way to often and probably should never be.  There was a post about the GP dropouts along time ago.  Should of never got locked...let people speak thier minds.  

That's not what everyone says when posts get out of hand on Trance's site. People beg for moderators, even offer to become moderators, over there when several BS posts generate over 40+ responses and CAN'T be locked or deleted.

Then you say (I would guess the sqclub.com moders) "We are in major discussions right now on how to set up a GP system that would protect the interest of both parties".   Like this needs to be controlled by the moderators or SQclub.com.  People use your forums to work out the deals and how they are running the GP.  That reply is suggesting you will control how the GP's are run.??  I would think the people running the GP's would control how they run.

We have no intention of controlling GP's, never did..... BUT, if you wanted to run a GP on our board, we wanted a system that was more professional. Remember, 99% of the time when doing a GP, people will say something to a company like, "I belong to a club (SQC.com in this case), and we wanted to organize a GP for your product. If we get xx amount of members to buy it, will you give us a discount?"

Right there you are representing SQC.com, and if the deal falls through, how does that make the club look for future business?

I suggest that everyone reread "About SQClub" in the left hand menu. We are trying to unite the entire SQ community worldwide, so there must be professionalism that you wouldn't need on a personal site.

Go to any other big car site like DSM.org or 3Si and see if they allow for members to act irresponsible. You could also ask how they handle GP's.  

The board users need to respond to see if this is a cool idea or not.  Thats all don't read any further into it.  It was just a neat idea to put on the wish list.

No problem, but also remember, there are more things that go into it than just...... "voting for moderators." You don't just run for office without knowing what the office is or responsible for.

The only time I could understand needing a new moderator would be if one of them got out of hand and had to be relieved of duty.  But other than that, our mods do what they should and this board hasn't gotten out of hand, which I find incredible because generally it doesn't take too long for a loosely moderated board to become and few guys who throw insults at anything and everything, and generally ward off any new-comers to the site.

When I first found this place, I was new to the SQ world and I was treated nicely even though I was obviously such a noob.  If you feel that somebody's uptight about something, then go ahead and expand on the idea. What did they do to make you feel uptight? Maybe it's nothing to do with moderators but maybe somebody just doens't come off as very approachable.  

Also, I can really understand why we have so many moderators. It takes quite a while to read through many many posts (try not checking up on the club for 2 straight days and see how many new posts you can find, and just try and keep up), and a lot of times the mods have to get on at night after work and try and squeeze in time to check lots of posts and there's a good chance they could miss something.   And I also understand the whole vacation thing too.  If you're out of town for a week and never get to check any posts, it's a nice thing to know that you've got some guys covering your back to keep up with things and to make sure that things don't get out of hand.  Plus, after that week vacation, I wouldn't exactly what to come home to have to sort through 3 pages of unread threads. Ugh.  

Just a few points to ponder.

Jason

all of you have made good points, but I think things are run too tight around here, we need to see all that goes on around here good, and bad. each and everyone one of us has our own starquest world, and we have to deal with these people everyday, who are the moderators to decide what we should look at, we all old enough to make decisin's on our own, form what goes on, we don't need to be kept from all the evil stuff here.

"We have no intention of controlling GP's, never did..... BUT, if you wanted to run a GP on our board, we wanted a system that was more professional."

What do you mean by "our board" is that the moderators board, or a board for all the people.

"Remember, 99% of the time when doing a GP, people will say something to a company like, "I belong to a club (SQC.com in this case), and we wanted to organize a GP for your product. If we get xx amount of members to buy it, will you give us a discount?"

Right there you are representing SQC.com, and if the deal falls through, how does that make the club look for future business?"

Well the starquestclub is not buying anything from the gp's, it the people here, and there not always from this board alone.(this is not the only board) Therefore I feel starquestclub.com has no right to even talk about it unless the gp was set up by rydller, and we we buying directly from him.

I think we need moderators, but to tell us how to organize gp's, and to lock threads, is a bit to much.

What do you mean by "our board" is that the moderators board, or a board for all the people.  

This was a board created for ALL enthusiasts of the StarQuest. How would you like it if you approched a company for a product, told them your club affiliation, and they said, "Oh forget it, we tried to do business with you guys once, but the deal fell through." This happens in the world of business, just look at the news and stock market of late. The StarQuest community is so small, that we can't afford to alienate too many companies.

For example, like "our" country....a lot of people hate Americans not based on any contact on a personal level, but by affiliation.

Well the starquestclub is not buying anything from the gp's, it the people here, and there not always from this board alone.(this is not the only board) Therefore I feel starquestclub.com has no right to even talk about it unless the gp was set up by rydller, and we we buying directly from him.

See my reply above, reread SQC Policy in the left hand menu and think of it this way too..... Ryddler set up this site for enthusiasts, wouldn't it be nice if they had the respect to represent the club well? How would you organize a large GP without this site?? Plus, I bet you get your foot in the door at more companies for GP's if you are part of a club buying a product instead of a group of buddies off the street.

I think we need moderators, but to tell us how to organize gp's, and to lock threads, is a bit to much. we all old enough to make decisin's on our own, form what goes on, we don't need to be kept from all the evil stuff here.

Here are 2 links to examples of why we do what we do. You guys remember Kelly? He left the SQ community altogether because of idiots. On Ryddlers old board, there weren't enough moderators and posts could only be deleted, not locked. When a post is locked, it is for specific reasons, and we can look back at it to determine the problem, AND show it to you guys.......BUT if a post can only be deleted, people forget what the EXACT wording was and we can't refer back to it. (Exact wording is important when you get someone saying, "I never said that!" Then someone that missed the post to begin with chimes in that it was never that bad to begin with).

Notice too how the garbage never stays on one board, but makes the "rounds" to the others. We can stop that here........FINALLY!

If it weren't for Gabe, (a moderator), Kelly may have never come back to the SQ community!

Trance's

Trance's #2

I'm new here and I think this site is a little uptight, and I think this is a good idea!

Funny how this is the guy's first post and he registered just 12 minutes AFTER this post was made. Kinda fast to have such a strong opinion of the site, no?

Cummon folks, you don't need to artificially boost your side of the story by logging in from multiple member accounts. Funny how the IP address for a couple of people who posted was from the same place... hmmm. State your point and with a good argument... and facts.

See my post again, I'm going to Vegas this Thurs......... ;D

Gee do I sense a moderator losing his cool? I did read your 1st post thanks for the reminder.

That's not what everyone says when posts get out of hand on Trance's site. People beg for moderators, even offer to become moderators, over there when several BS posts generate over 40+ responses and CAN'T be locked or deleted.

Yet his board is still popular and everyone goes there.........

We have no intention of controlling GP's, never did..... BUT, if you wanted to run a GP on our board, we wanted a system that was more professional. Remember, 99% of the time when doing a GP, people will say something to a company like, "I belong to a club (SQC.com in this case), and we wanted to organize a GP for your product. If we get xx amount of members to buy it, will you give us a discount?"

Right there you are representing SQC.com, and if the deal falls through, how does that make the club look for future business?

A system sounds good.  IF SQC.com is representing the GP they can run it anyway they want.

I suggest that everyone reread "About SQClub" in the left hand menu. We are trying to unite the entire SQ community worldwide, so there must be professionalism that you wouldn't need on a personal site.

Go to any other big car site like DSM.org or 3Si and see if they allow for members to act irresponsible. You could also ask how they handle GP's.  

Same as above.

No problem, but also remember, there are more things that go into it than just...... "voting for moderators." You don't just run for office without knowing what the office is or responsible for.

Who's running for office?  I think we better understand what it responsibilities it entails from your proir post.

buzzkill your technical abilities shine again and again.  I do not artificially boost anything and only have my 1 account.  Wait, let me hack into everyone's account and respond for them.  Your replying is enough fact.

Funny how this is the guy's first post and he registered just 12 minutes AFTER this post was made. Kinda fast to have such a strong opinion of the site, no?

Cummon folks, you don't need to artificially boost your side of the story by logging in from multiple member accounts. Funny how the IP address for a couple of people who posted was from the same place... hmmm. State your point and with a good argument... and facts.

Gee do I sense a moderator losing his cool? I did read your 1st post thanks for the reminder.

Thanks, you just proved my point from my earlier thread.............

" We even like to joke around like everyone else, but since we're mods, people think we're being, uptight.....mean.....power hungry......condescending.....etc..... "

I was making a joke since you said it sounded like I needed a vacation........so I pointed out that I am going on vacation.....but since I'm a moderator, you took it the wrong way.

buzzkill your technical abilities shine again and again.  I do not artificially boost anything and only have my 1 account.  Wait, let me hack into everyone's account and respond for them.  Your replying is enough fact.

It wasn't you, at least not that I could tell.  ;)

Disclaimer:

The portion of this post following the comma was meant to be in jest. It was a poke at fun, not to be interpretted as suspicion or doubt, not meant in any malicious way of any kind. Gabe AKA BuzzKill, StarQuestClub.com and anyone else who cares are not to be held not responsible for any misinterpretation or ill feelings inferred by this post.

OAC, OBO, DOE, EOE, DOA, MIA, BFD

I think a few members are a little uptight.

Chances are there won't be any voting done.

Ryddler has this site the way he wants it. He pays the utilities on the board, it's his code and his choice who and what goes where and does what.

Bottom line.

Vote for me!!!!  LOL, schit you wouldn't want me to have that damm job.  We'd have about 10 members.  I'd be bootin' people for misspelled wurds and improper punctuation.  If you leave the color, year, interior color, location or mileage out of a "starquest for sale" post, you're gone.  If you double post, your gone.  If you disagree with me, your gone.  Take offense to my sarcasm, bye bye.  Any moderator fail to concur with my vote to ban a member and it's curtains for you jack.  Â Oh I'm just serious, but anyway.   Gotta say Gabe that you might have wanted to keep that IP addy post to yourself.  I had always suspected/assumed that you guys could check that stuff but this confirms it and tips people off to be a little more creative if they want to lead a double/triple/quadruple life here.  It only hurts your ability to scan for the scandalous if you know what I mean.  What I have noticed in general is a fatherly maturity from all of the mods and I simply couldn't do that.  I need to be able to raz people and speak my mind or I wouldn't be happy here.  So I say it's not really a position to envy.  

um hey buzzkill yea i dunno i don think it would hurt that much just a little ol peice of coal, hurd you were into that kinda stuff lol, just think dog cupal minits of pain and then we can go cash in on a diamond and then we can go and have the bestest sq's in the sq cominty dog woot woot

jk

hey gabe we need to get together dog i need a ride in the quest ima bout to go crazy from the insainty of olny being able to do 0- 60 in 12 seconds well ill give you a call tomaro peace