vertical doors

creed

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a very minor setback. One of my main computers hard drive cables failed.

I already have a replacement on the way ;) I am on my wifes laptop right now, and I did not burn off my CAD program like I thought I did.

What I asked the machine shop to make these out of is billet aluminum (cheapest) Though he said that steel would only be slightly higher.

The hinge pins would be solid aluminum or steel (depending on material of hinge)  with zerk fittings (for greasing) and passages for the grease to lube the joint.

Just an update.

As far as production time, When one is finished and installed Joe and I will do our best to break it (with-in reason). We will try to induce stress simulating 40-50  MPH winds in all directions. If it lives, you all will know, and we will be keeping the machine shop very busy.

Joe already has plans to put in a remote door openera with a stronger door popper so it would have enough force to completely open the door by remote.

Well a very minor setback. One of my main computers hard drive cables failed.

I already have a replacement on the way ;) I am on my wifes laptop right now, and I did not burn off my CAD program like I thought I did.

What I asked the machine shop to make these out of is billet aluminum (cheapest) Though he said that steel would only be slightly higher.

The hinge pins would be solid aluminum or steel (depending on material of hinge)  with zerk fittings (for greasing) and passages for the grease to lube the joint.

Just an update.

As far as production time, When one is finished and installed Joe and I will do our best to break it (with-in reason). We will try to induce stress simulating 40-50  MPH winds in all directions. If it lives, you all will know, and we will be keeping the machine shop very busy.

Joe already has plans to put in a remote door openera with a stronger door popper so it would have enough force to completely open the door by remote.

MAD PROPS!  ...No pun intended.  HEY!  ...Is it possible to use ACTIVE lifts???  That way I can wire them into my remote entry?!?!?!  That would DECIMATE ALL.   ;D

I dunno..would it still  be possible to hand-raise them in case of a flat battery etc?

The set I am making would use hydraulic struts. Once the door opens so far, it lifts. Slight pulling force pulls the door down. Then pull it closed.

Joe is using a 35Lb popper that will kick the door out the 4" so it can get past the vertical stops and then go up by strut power. So no power is neccesary besides the remote actuator to pop the door hinge. He has an entire remote "brain box" that he is going to wire into the car. Power remote windows, locks, doors... the works. He is even thinking about remote start...

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THAT CAR?!  Wow, I mean, pretty decent work at giving us ideas, but I'm glad they wouldn't do that to the car hehe.  No hard feelings I hope.  Also, door poppers & hydro props is awesome.  And you're right about the pull...  With where you'd be pulling from I would think that it might almost be TOO easy.  On top of everything else I talked to my dad about getting in touch with my uncle, and he told me that my uncle wasn't on that part of the design team.  However, I'll see if I can even get his attention.  His name's Bruce Short.  Anyway, on to other things.  Reference to the body kit mods on another topic:  I'm designing one at this point.  It's still in pre-CADD stages, but I'll be adding on to my Cardomain page and give you all a link once I'm finished.  Hopefully you'll like it.  If not, it's still my design, so HA!  Just kidding.  ALSO!  I found some custom wheels!  Well actually someone else did...  They're deep-dish lookin' deals.  The car I saw them on was white and the wheels were gold but I KNOW I've seen them in chrome & hyperblack...  Does anyone know what they are?!  I'd pay anything.  And how do I get poppers?  I'm all about some of those for the rear of the car too...  Hit me back!