Questions about lowering the SQ...

OK, OK, I know this has been discussed a billion times, but I'm still a little foggy on it.  Truth be told we need an FAQ on it, but since said FAQ doesn't exist, I'm here asking questions.

It looks like there are 4 choices of lowering springs...

1. Suspension Techniques (1" drop) for under $200

2. Eibach Sportline (1.7" to 2.3" drop)

3. AntiMPower ( up to a 2.5" drop) for $250

4. Ground Control Coil-Over (up to 2" drop) $400

And 3 choices of Camber adjustment plates...

1. Stedebani: $300-$400

2. Cusco: ?

3. AntiMPower: Rear only $50?

4. Noltec (Oscar): $310

Now, we've got bump stops and crap like that to deal with, as well as what will fit what.  All I want to know is this; I purchased the Stedebani F&R camber adjusters, now I want to lower the car, I'm thinking the Ground Controls sound good, but maybe Art's are just as good and cheaper.  Lets say I purchase either one of them, what then, am I done?  Can someone tell me what is what here?  What works with what?  What effect if any that the different spring rates will have on my launch at the track?

I have Art's coilovers, and i'd reccomend them but I believe Art just sold out of his stock..  The spring rates are stiffer with Art's vs. GC's, but I heard you can get stiffer rates through GC if you ask them...

Anyways, the bumpstops aren't an issue.. You only need a little bit of them, I think Art told me to cut them in half and reuse them..

You may want to upgrade the struts at the same time.. I got some non-adjustable KYB GR-2's..  It's up to you, and I suspect your struts are still good..

As for the drag racing setup, i'd ask someone else..haha ;D   Seriously though, i'd imagine you'd want the rear lower than the front for quicker weight transfer.. I'm just shooting in the dark though...

Thanks for the reply :).

My struts are the SHP struts and only have 52K on them, they're still good.  It looks like all I need are the springs and camber plates, maybe I'll get Art's springs if he has any left.

Also, I thought the front camber plates would have a slot in them to be able to move the camber where I want, but they don't, only a single hole.  With that in mind, the front camber plates are only 5/8" above the stock mount, so does that mean I can only lower the front 5/8" to be at stock camber?

i am all out of the suspension parts for the time being. the only kits i have left are a few KYB GAXs

as for the bump stops. all you need is 1/4-1/2" of the rubber so it prevents metal to metal contact if the suspension bottoms out. just cut it with a saw.

Also, I thought the front camber plates would have a slot in them to be able to move the camber where I want, but they don't, only a single hole.  With that in mind, the front camber plates are only 5/8" above the stock mount, so does that mean I can only lower the front 5/8" to be at stock camber?

That seems odd to me..  But.. Is there two pieces to the front plates?  Meaning the strut's tip goes through the hole you described, and tightened down.. Now, this whole piece should move side to side, within another piece..  Am I close?  I've never seen the Stedebani plates...

I only have rear plates(Art's) and they're slotted so the strut moves within it..

You don't have to take the strut/spring apart per say more like lower it so that you can unbolt the aluminum piece rotate it and reinstal or just guess how far your out and hope that its right.  Either way big PIA.  

• 2 weeks later...

Art when do you think you'll have yours back in stock? I'm fixing to get the suspension done on my car, well what I can stocks coilover-s and camber plates, the bushings will be later on down the road. Another question, how come I can't find your products page on your web page? did you delete it?

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Last time I was looking around.. Summit had them for $170 shipped, but they were back ordered..  I ended up getting Art's coilover's.. Speaking of which, he's doing the same GP right now, and needs a few more people.. If you're justifying $200, what's another $50?  Plus, you'll go alot lower than some drop springs can take you... Higher spring rates too...

• 2 weeks later...

dude Mr. boost what up man havn't talked to you in a long a** time. go on aim or email me at kryle@qwest.net sometime

anyways

right now im putting in tokikos on all 4 corners, ST springs, and *edit(doorman not moog) mounts, I will post some pictures when I get it all done hopefully in less than a week or so. Thanks for talkin about the bump stop thing bcuz I was gonna buy new ones(mine are rotted on the top but only about 1/4 inch of it) so now I can just reuse them.

I am also waiting on all new inner/outter tie rod kits to replace all of those, everything else under my car seems to be in good shape but I'm also putting in wagoner brake pads and gonna clean everything real nice before I put it back in.

I just have one question......

well my camber all around is -1 through -1.6 on my passenger rear side... I'm not putting in adjustable camber plates but replacing struts, springs, and mounts.. when I get an alignment done on my car even though it will be lowered can they get my camber back to 0 so my tires don't wear so bad or am I still going to have negative camber because it's lowered?

If anyone could help me out that would be cool bcuz I'm only 18 and this is my first time ever doing any of this and I still don't know alot plus theres only a few people in AZ with starquests so it's tough to find help.

OH duh for those of you that don't know or never give any credit to www.modacar.com for selling parts for starions THERE ARE ALSO H&R SPRINGS AND THEY SELL EIBACHS, THEY ARE NOT DISCONTINUED(but if they are modacar.com has been selling them for about 3 years since I first saw them....)

I want to see someone buy the H&R ones and tell everyone what they are like... I was this - close to buying them but went with the ST springs because i never read about anyone using the H&R ones and they might be bunk but who knows H&R makes good stuff.

anyways www.modacar.com has a bunch of stuff for starions so people please don't forget about them when making a vendors list for starquests..... if anyone has not seen they sell a clutchmasters billet alum flywheel that weights 7.5 pounds... I've never seen anyone talk about that or the H&R springs. I hope this helps

• 1 month later...

man I'm not seeing those coil-overs on that site ???

I'm really starting to lean towards Susp Tech now for a few reasons

1. they are cheap 165 bucks Midwest turbo..great delivery time has been my exp.

2. 1.5 drop after they start to sag

3. proven, I've seen them used by people I know and the look/ride is good and the car is about as low as I would ever want it with the *DM exhaust.

If I had a choice I would want super stiff stock ride height springs but oh well