Sub box sizes and idead?!?

Hey all, I have 1 12 in. sub It is a Rockford Fosgtage 3112. It hits all of the low end really nice but i am thinking of a nother 12 or 10 in. for mid bass. I would like to know if anyone has made a costume box for our cars with a 1 or 2 12in. enclosure. I would like to keep the back carpet cover so nobody knows what i have :)

Thanks

Marcus

If it were me, i'd run two 12's in the back, ported... and put two 8's in the front.. One in each door, with 100w on each.. Of course the 6.5's would have to be moved to the kick panels, but I don't think anyone make's any kick-pods for our cars.LOL..

I'd stay away from adding smaller speakers to the rear.. There's a thing called imaging...Basically you want the sub-frequencies behind you and everything else in front of you... So if you were to put some 6.5's back with the 12, the 12 would drown them out easily...

You could add another sub for midbass, but the two subs need to be crossed over at different points.  Two different sized subs playing in the same frequency range will almost always give you a cancellation at some frequency.  An 8 or pair of 6.5" would be best for mid-bass.  In my truck I have 6.5" components running 150Hz up, a pair of 8" for midbass crossed over for 70-150Hz, and a 10" low passed at 70Hz.  Awesome set up and more sound than I'll ever need in a regular cab truck  ;D

Doing a bandpass crossover for midbass can be tricky.  I had to utilize a high pass crossover coming out of my head unit @70Hz and a low pass on my amp set @150Hz.  You can buy special crossovers for this, but they're tough to find.  You could also make your own active crossover out of capacitors and coils, but that degrades sound quality and eats up some of the amp's output.  A good 6.5" component set and a 12" sub running of a big 3 or 4 channel amp should be all you ever need for a good sound quality set up in a starquest.  Just my opinion.

ADAM

I saw this dude on a jap sit who mounted 2 12's facing in on the back of the rear seats. He had some pics of the steps, very sharp.

Certain subs also require a certain amount of air space depending on type,if you already didn't know.

• 1 month later...

I have a custom box for two 12s. they face up to the rear hatch. we tried making them face the rear seats but they didn't sound very good.

I haven't used it in a long time since I dont drive my car much anymore and will sell it if you are interested.

I don't really have an idea on a double 12 inch box, but I just thought I would let you know... I have one twelve inch in my car and I have found it sounds the best aimed at the back of the car, not up at the hach glass. So you might want to consider that route too. Just my .02

Draggin_Quest

• 4 weeks later...
NO NO i only read the first and second post i made a custom fiberglass box for my quest DONT USE PORTS there s***, only use ports in a car with a trunk... 2x 12's dont mix match 10/12 my cousin is a proffesional car sterio installer has about 5 years in the buisness making custom boxes and such ill post pics of how mine turned out omfg it pounds point them towards the rear window so they fire off of it boom bass slaps u in the head :D if anyone needs tips on making custom fiberglass box id glady give info *edit i took the time to read all the posts it really depends if u fire towards the rear and not off the window i got alot of rattling when i had a regular sub box when it was faced back then when i sat it so they fired off the rear hatch window no rattle and it sounded better to me not such a deep bass but alot clearer

There's no reason to only use sealed boxes in a hatch.. If that's your preference based on what sounds good to you, then so be it.. But to say ''ports are crap'' leaves alot to be desired..

The install itself will determine how it sounds.. Throw a sub in a prefab ported box and yeah, it'll sound nasty.. But do your research, build your own box based on the sub's parameters and you'll be just fine..

One of the loudest design's for hatchback's is "sub up, port facing the rear"...

Sound quality is subjective. ;)

you definitely want the sub facing up towards the glass. I have mine at an angle so that it its face is parallel with the glass. it sounds real tight and the only that rattles is the hatch itself and that's because it's old and a little loose. i used to have it face straight to the front, but with it facing towards the glass the hits are much more precise and solid.

If you go with 2 seperate subs for seperate frequencies you can do a couple different things. You can always put crossovers inline. You can also set up your boxes differently. if you want to have ported boxes, depending on what kind of subs you have and what frequencies you want them out, you design the tubes for the ports at different lengths. this controls where the subs cut out. The only problem with ported boxes that i've encountered with hatchbacks are that they tend to sound a bit airy because of it moves the entire car's air, while with a trunk, it only moves the air in the trunk.

I'd say go with 2 eight inch subwoofers and put them in where the rear speakers go, that way they'd be above your main woofer so they don't get too drowned out. also make sure that you have crossovers to control what frequencies are going where. Keep your 12 in the rear facing the hatch, and make sure you've got some mids and highs up front. that would sound ideal i think.

• 4 months later...

Use the spare tire well and most of the depth of the hatch area.Ofcourse the box will be flat with the subs pointing up.Ported or not should sound good.Just seal the sides to the bottom of the car good.Before fiberglassing become the thing to do lots of people use a bunch of caulk and a cut rubber innertube.The hatch cover will rattle If left in place so you could make some other cover for a stealthy look or tint the window really dark.

Just keep in mind that with subs and amp;people won't have to see what you have to know what's in there.

get the picture?

• 4 months later...

This might help you out. Ive got 2 Pioneer 12"s, and an Alpine amp in a sealed wood box. Ill have to get the dimentions on the box for you, but i also have the hatch cover in so no one can see. they hit pretty deep and hard ( they cracked a set of neon accent tubes, if that counts for anything)

I suggest cutting holes in the hatch cover and putting in a set of Alpine Type S 6x9's in the hatch cover, you can power them with a cheep amp if you got the money.

I used to have infinity 8" subs inplace of the rear speakers, but I like the 6x9s better b/c they are 3-way 6x9's and help fill in the sound spectrum better, and they kick like a mother too. I'll get the demetions on my box. you get an over all coverage of high and mids that is relitivly equal and alot of bass.