Mar-Hyde Vinyl Dye Photos! WOW!!

JasonKolda

• 1 month later...

wow great work and thanks a ton for sharing with pics and research and everything.  that's what we need more of around here.  I read every word I think and either I missed it or one question remains unanswered.

Is the buckskin door panel you pictured above a product of one of these vinyl dyes?

and if so, which one because that is damn close to the stock buckskin color and I'll be pulling my entire interior to do a restoration that shouldn't be nearly as involved as yours but will be well worth the effort.

Chip.

The picture above is one of my maroon door panels out of my 86 that I dyed black/tan....It turned out flawless. I used MarHyde brand off-white for that. The color looked a bit fleshy but there are a ton of different brands out there.  I'm sure there is one that is really close.

I would recommend sneaking a small piece of trim in to Wal-Mart. Go to the automotive paint section and look for the dye...I believe Wal-Mart carries "Duplicolor" brand....I think....either way, it's a blue can that says "Vinyl Color". Pop the lid off when no one is looking and give your stuff a quick spray.

You can also use the new Krylon "Fusion" plastic paint also found at Wal-mart. (found with the rest of the spray paint in the Hardware dept) They will probably have a wider selection of colors.

Let me know what you find. If you find a color that is really close PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!  I'm putting together a collection of restoration resources and documents and it would be of great help to have the Brand and product # that of the dye that matches the buckskin... Also...I found another 87 in town and am thinking of buying it and restoring it white with buckskin or yellow like yours.

If you find a color that works, I'm sure you'll be re dying your entire interior...The stuff is that great. I have re covered some of the black pieces on my 89 and I even use it as a touch up on my carpets before car shows.

I think ryddler is thinking about adding a "Restoration" forumn on this site for stuff like this... I cant wait...I'll finally be able to be worth half a sh#!t here :)

Thanks again!

J

Here are some pics of the redyed pieces installed in my 87 TSi...Note...they were once maroon and covered in years of sh#!t. The carpet still looks a bit maroon with the flash bulb...odd...they look black in sunlight... I'll have to give them another coat.

http://www.trendsetterdesign.com/mystuff/pur3.jpg

http://www.trendsetterdesign.com/mystuff/pur4.jpg

(the seats were not dyed...just reconditioned with Zymol Leather Conditioner...found at Target Greatland)

Brand spanking new!

J

Jason:

I was at WALMART yesterday, and they carry a brand of spray paint made to change the color of leather. Their website is http://www.bryndana.com . I went there and they have over 30 colors to choose from. You can also buy the paint online!

In this picture below, what brand & color did you use to paint the tan door panel?

Josh

• 1 month later...

what prep is required by the dye instructions?

detergent or soap might leave a residue or film. the rubbing alcohol can also dry out vinyl and leather.

maybe something like Griot's Vinyl Leather cleaner?

anmd thank you.. i was staying up at night trying to figure out what the heck to do with my god aweful ugly red interior :)

chemicals are awesome :D

• 5 months later...

LOL that stuff is AMAZING!!! I bought out autozone whole supply, I need to go to the autozone the next town over and buy them out. It took me 2 cans to do my trunk cover and rear seats. My rear seats look BRAN NEW its crazy, a little dye and armorall and WOAH, I was stupid and didn't take before and after pictures, but I will when I do my front seats ;D ;D theres 3 more cans right there lol.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...
I used the vinyl paint on everything, but it only worked on the carpets and plastic pieces, BUT not on the dash. It would not take at all and yes I did prep. It scratches off just by running my nail across it. I will be trying out VHT with a clear paint adhesive for metal. I got that tip from a local that fixes dash boards. I will post my results.

dupli-color has some new vinyl dye out that include the bright colors like yellow, red, blue etc.. it says it works on vinyl door panels, seats, and also on carpet. i bought some of the krylon fusion paint and that stuff wouldnt work on the vinyl seats but the duplicolr stuff works very well and doesnt scratch off. might wanna check it out. i got it from advance auto.

RJ is correct. Duplicolor has a product called Vinyl & Fabric color spray. I've used it in my car with excellent results. You can go to the Body/Interior Mods section of this site to find pics of my black/tan interior.

Josh

• 1 year later...

finally i find something i can use on my interior stuff, with opinions and whatnot. (BTW, NONE of the pics work)

im about to go get some duplicolour and get to it, but before hadn ive got a problem and a question....

did anyone find a solution for the dash besides taking it to a shop?

theres a little section of interior that goes over the taillight harnesses and misc things like that and i cant for the life of me figure out how to remove it. any help with possible pictars would be great.

PLZTHNKZ  ;D

i got most of the hatch area done, cept i cant get that peice of carpet off that goes between the taillight harnesses. so the rest hasnt ben reinstalled yet. ill have pics when it is.

still want to find out how to tell if its vinyl or leather im workin with.....since the seats are trashed i cant get a "feel" for the actual leather thats in the car.