Magna Gen2 Head

anyone running one of these? ive heard a word or two hear and there that it can be done but im wondering what is the REAL story. do i have to modify anything on the magna head to work on my g54b block? what kind of head gasket to use? can i use standard Quest TBI fuel injection?

please gimme some info...

thanks

Magna 2nd gen head is from the magna from down under, The head has no jet valves, and not even the passages (can port intake side alot more plus stronger) The head flows about 30cfm more then a stock JV head about 20 more then a stock Non JV head and about 10 more then a manral aproxmently (intake side). Overall the head is better made, Only one problem is that it doesnt have the same colant passages on the intake surface as our intake (its the same on both sides not small on one). Other then that making it so we cant use on our intakes only magna intakes it will bolt on.

• 2 weeks later...

so let me get this strait.. if I get a magna 2nd gen head all I will need changed over is the T-stat housing and the TB.. and the Magna head is actually better then the marnal (not by much but still)

ALOS can u use the 284can roller rockers schneider HD valve springs and stock valves in the 2nd gen magna head?

SpooledupRacing

No the colant port in the back of the head is not the same as the conquest stock one. Would need a magna intake with no addapter but the rest still needs modding from tb and t-sat. So to run magna head you would have to have a magna MPI intake, and all thats needed to conver to mpi. Stock vavles and stuff should work tho.

maybe I will go to the magna head then... I was pondering the idea since I know I can get one for cheeper then a marnal or CW..

so the only thing that dont have to be changed is the adapter plate.. cool.. I will find out if this guy can get me one

SpooledupRacing

If you run a GenII Head on your starion and stock ECU... You better either take the turbo off or drill holes in the pistons or Kaboom.

You can use it with MPI, as you can adjust the fuel and timing curves appropriately. Best suited for Race gas however.

Compression goes WAY up, with flat tops likely up in the 9.0-9.5:1 range.

Joel

sure u wanna go with the biggest ports on a turbo motor ?

Mitsu went with smaller ports on later 4g63. So did toyota on their boosted 4ag. Runners on a normally aspirated 2jz are hoooooge compared to the 2jz-gte

well I dont want to bump the compression at all so I will prolly just stick with a alabama head, CW or Marnal... but I will deff be hogging it out for sure with the cutsom header and MPI

I got alot to do so this will be quite fine for me

SpooledupRacing

I want a magna head for the greater flow capability... I'm pretty sure I'll outgrow a marnal head by the time everything is said and done.... and I don't want to buy twice.  Anybody got some austrailian connections?

I may be able to help you guy's out. Depends if you want a junk yard head or a reconditioned head. This engine is called the Astron by Mitsubishi Australia. The heads (whole engine) were made in Australia not Japan. This engine started life in rear wheel drive form in a car called the Sigma. This is a rear wheel drive Galant, not sure if you had this car in the US. The Magna (FWD) replaced this car.

Be advised this car was pretty common over here so supply should not be a problem however they are getting a bit old now. I can get multipoint manifolds as well but you would have to mod them.

• 1 year later...

Freight will be the killer.

Magna heads are available but it depends on your intentions. The stuff listed below I got when I did this excercise for somebody a while ago.

1. Head around $200 from a wrecker

2. check for cracks and flatness at a head place around $120

3. Ship to USA. If less than 20kg then air mail would be around $A280. What's a head weigh?

4. Port, polish, rebuild, intall rockers etc.

or

1. Head around $200 from a wrecker

2. Rebuild head or buy changeover head $ dunno, have to check but normally you give them your head and they give you a rebuilt one. Unsure of cost of purchasing one outright already built.

3. Ship to USA. If less than 20kg then air mail would be around $A280http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/

4. stick on car and see what happens

So there you go......

too much, you are right it all depends in my intentions, but going all that way to have in here after all that long trip, forget it> I will just get my self a Marnel Cylinder Head non jet valve with 3 angle valve job, that will be lot better, I Guess to avoid the Time just will be better choice the Marnel Head from Spain, using the ARP Head Bolts.

If you run a GenII Head on your starion and stock ECU... You better either take the turbo off or drill holes in the pistons or Kaboom.

You can use it with MPI, as you can adjust the fuel and timing curves appropriately. Best suited for Race gas however.

Compression goes WAY up, with flat tops likely up in the 9.0-9.5:1 range.

Joel

Joel, how ya been buddy?

hey man, I think you're talking about a magna genIII head there with the crazy compression. The genIIs are pretty much normal aren't they? or have you done more research since I was around last?

• 2 weeks later...