New Idea........looking for any and all feedback..

Ok....now i know a lot of us are finally getting a taste of the MPI bug.  Well, I am tempted to try an ITB(individual throttle body) setup :o  Now this would have to be fabricated over time, or find something that is "close" to fitting and modifying it.  I'm just shooting off the top of my head so..please bare with me.  

The only thing I see that "might" be a problem...is finding an intake mani. that would have the right, or close, water flow paths(and for those of us with smog checks, an EGR vavle).  There would still have to be an intake plenum, due to the turbo, but....if something like this could be done....it would def. open up the flow from the intake side of the cylinder head.  

This again is just "thoughts coming off the top of my head" as I sit here at work...but...it would be a BAD Mo Fo of a car if someone could do this.  I haven't ever seen anyone mention going to ITB's before, and thought I would just be different and throw it out there.  

There is huge potential to be gained here  when it can be accomplished($$ is the only restriction).  

Anyone have experience with an ITB system?  What are your thoughts?

It's been done, and it does work.  I've seen pics of a G54B.  It is not often done for two reasons;

1 - $$$$

2 - it usuayl limits the low end torque.  The design options you are left with are limited by the space available, going ITB only leaves you with ~6" of runner lenght, that won't support torque below 4000 RPM.  

I though about it on my own car sice I can fab all the nessesary adaptor plates,  I chose not to because of the added expence of the 4 TB's vs one good large one.  The design wouldn't be any more compliceted than the $700 MPI I make, but who would want one if it cost $1200 ++, and the benifits would not justify the added cost.

That was doen a few years back on Arlan Faustino's red Starion at RPS Automotive in Canoga Park.  His car was in turbo mag a few years ago and I remeber seeing him run at Battle of the Imports.  Never was fast...I gues they never got it to run right but it had individual t bodies and t3/t4 with a tecII if I remeber correctly.  Nice car, nicer rims......same as the rims on Zactek's shirts ;D

Juatpaus, That's the one I was saying I had seen, I have another pic of that same setup, Chauncy E. had that made, the car it was in did a best of 9.51 in the 1/4.

It would work on teh street, but not as well as a more conventional setup.  It's like big turbos on street cars, yes they do work, but not well.

Those are cylclone like intakes.... the dsms have a Cyclone manifold that has 4 TB's....maybe one of those could be modifyied??

you'd be looking at making a round port out of a rectangle one... you would more then likely mess things up (not saying you personally) but honestly just about everyone would have a good chance of messing them up.

But yes, I love the Cyclone intake's, nothing like boost controlled secondaries for a boost in flow right when ya need it and not before.

Half the reason I am going 2.4...plus headers for 250...

Those are cylclone like intakes.... the dsms have a Cyclone manifold that has 4 TB's....maybe one of those could be modifyied??

Didn't DJPowerhaus say awhile back that the mounting flange of the 4g63 intake is the same as the g54b's only upside down?

yeah he did say that..............

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the possiblities...........

now my mind is really thinking....

but aren't the intake ports shaped differently on the 1Gdsm's?

even so....I'm sure there is a way, I'm still interested in doing this...if I find out anything I'll keep you guys posted.  I like the sound of a ITB setup on our engines....

Didn't DJPowerhaus say awhile back that the mounting flange of the 4g63 intake is the same as the g54b's only upside down?

That is completely untrue.  Nowhere near.  I have seen both and own both and I call bull.

As for the individual throttlebodies, it's very very easy.  You get a twin weber/dellorto/mikuni/sk/solex, etc intake manifold (they probably still make them for the 2.6 and I see them on Ebay sometimes) and then just goto TWM Induction and they sell the throttlebodies that bolt right on to the Weber, etc style manifolds. Easy, done.  I did this on my crx years ago, worked very well, but as Chad said it's more a race setup argumenting the mid to top end.  Also engine management can be troublesome, sds especially (amoung others map equipped) does not work well with it as engine vacuum is very low.  They speak of this very topic on their site.

KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.  Awesome shocking looks, but too many moving parts and s*** to go wrong.  No thanks.

Take care

Shawn