RUST!

tux

i'm starting to get rust for the first time on my starion

and it's been garaged for almost entire time i've owned it!

anyone know where i can go to get that taken care of cheaply... and i'm prolly gonna (soon as i can) get electronic rust prevention system

thanks

andy

• 2 months later...
Forget about that electronic rust prevention crap;especially now since it's started.Threat the rust now and inspect all the car you can get to for more rust.I just fixed my lower quarter panel in front of rear wheel on pass. side.lot of fiberglassing but very solid.Couldn't get a repair panel or a donor from a junk yard car.Gotta finish up paint to make look all pretty still.

Oh yeah;if it's a structural part of the car then forget anything but welding in a new panel.A rusted out unibody car is not safe to drive.You are probally just refering to surface rust but just a reminder of how far rust gets before you realize it.

if its only surface rust then you can sand it down to bare metal and paint it.  if you are noticing it then its probobly deeper. shops usually cut away a good portion and weld in replacement parts(custom fab usually).

dizzy dug, how did your fiberglassing turn out?  ive got some spots i need to cut out but i wasnt sure if fiberglassing would turn out good.  how did it adhere and match up to the rest.  did you use mostly resin? or cloth?

thanks

I did the fiberglassing too. It seems to be ok so far. I know the car will rust back out within a couple of years, so I kinda half---------------- it. The proper way would be welding, but I sandblasted then rust-morted everything and fibered it. My car was really far gone. The passenger rear floor had a basketball sized hole, rear wheelwells had holes into the trunk etc... It will look nice for a couple of years, then it'll be my floggin' car ;D