HOT AIR RELEASE

marksweet

Now that the pvc hardpipe/cold air package is done a hot air release is being considered. I once saw a Quest with a hood scoop over the turbo with the opening facing the windshield. I imagine such a system or something to attain the same effect could lower under hod temps by ??? 20 or more degrees easily. Anyone got something like this? Lets toss about some ideas. There must be some formula for HP increase to air temp. decrease. Perhaps this should be in the virtual mechanic forum. Let's see. Mark

the main advantage to this would be making everything under the hood last longer.  you'd want to find the low pressure area on the hood and place the vent there for best results.  somewhere around the center of the hood is usually about the best, as there's high pressure where the hood meets the windshield and high pressure at the leading edge of the hood.

Jon it's the opposite. It's the pressure OUTSIDE the car/hood that effects air flow. NASCAR cars get air for their motors from the area near the windshield because this is a high pressure area.

What we would need is something that I stated earlier with an opening over the turbo or as Superquest stated perhaps something across the hood near the mid way point. Mark

So why don't the 83 side louvers work that are in the hood?  Shouldn't they be expelling hot air since they are in a low pressure region of the hood?

it's hard to say without testing whether they are in a low or high pressure area.  i was just making generalizations based on what i've seen done before.  like mark said the area at the base of the windshield on any car is a high pressure area and would send air into the engine compartment (this is why cowl induction hoods work, even though they are opening to the rear).  on the flat area of the hood it's hard to tell exactly where the low/high pressure areas are.  the leading edge of the hood would be high preussre.  something just behind that is usually a lower pressure spot (where the air tumbles over from hitting the leading edge of the hood).

Check out this:

http://www.26liter.us/dugallery/pictures/craig10.jpg

And this:

http://www.26liter.us/dugallery/pictures/BLUE1.jpg

And especially this:

http://www.26liter.us/dugallery/pictures/staraero.gif

I like the idea of venting extra engine heat especially since I really only drive my car in nice weather and don't have to worry about rain getting in though any holes in the hood.

CJ

And it looks like the vents in the blue one may be too far forward to let hot air out according to the downforce/lift diagram. Unless, of course, they were ment to force cool air in at speed. 8)

CJ

I would like to see that blue one up close and check it out. The hot air out needs to have form and function together. The blue one looks like it has enough open area to do a decent job. It would seem that lowering under hood heat would not only extend the life of underhood components but add HP.

Hey Strong Bad, uh, I mean Superquest...  LOL  I didn't notice you had Strong Bad as your avatar till now.  He he  Anyways, you guys seen the new 2003 Cobra's?  Their hoods are the shizzle.  Also the 99 Cobra's have a vent in the hoods instead of a cowl to release air.  Too bad they are nonfunctioning.  Well just a thought.  I'm planning on putting a wide cowl on mine, kinda got to to clear the distributor and the air cleaner/carburetor.  But I was looking to incorperate a heat extractor in the hood somewhere towards the front to let all the hot air from the radiator out from behind it and out of the engine bay.  I'll play with designs and see what I can come up with.

All --

Have you seen the new Mustang (Mud-Stain) hood?

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/autoShows/...ept/default.htm

I like it.  It is very consertative and still functional.

arghhhhhh!  my eyes!  my eyes!  hideous, simply hideous!  sorry, i hope they don't do that to the mustang, i just got to liking the new ones.

those vents look non funtional though.

I read this thread and then went outside where my nieghboor had parked a Lumina Z34 next to my quest...  It looks like the angles of the Lumina vents might match our lines fairly well!!! Just a thought.

http://www.geocities.com/luminaz34page/luminasmoke2.jpg

Mark

Pondering the idea, why not use cowl induction and under car exhaust? Creating the vacuum under the car directly behind the radiator is easy to do. Think that would pull turbo heat down and forward between the motor and the radiator? Redquest's hood is great for this type cowl induction.

Mark

Looking at the sketch the area of lift is by the cowl. If correct how would cowl induction work? I still like the vents on the blue car only split in half and put one each on either side of the hood.

because it's a positive pressure region, as the drawing also says.

I don't know if this will help but I ran 1-1/2" PVC from the ground up the inside of my passenger fender and connected it to the air box. I know this works for fresh air to the airbox because before I put a screen on the inlet, I had gravel getting into my airbox. My thoughts on cooling the engine compartment are the same concept, but ont he drivers side. There is already a rectangular opening on the drivers side inner fender. I will plumb that fender the same as I did the airbox, but have it open to the engine compartment. It may not make power, but it will help with under the hood heat. I used a 90* elbow and ran it behind the opening at the lower airdam. Cheap ram-air like effect anyone?

I've had some nice, functional hood vents on mine for quite some time now. They're about 4X6 and located just above the strut towers, lowers the temps substantially. If someone would be nice enough to host them for me, I don't have a website, :( but can send a pic to ya. If someone can guess what car are they from, I'll give you a................... ::)no, I won't .   LOL zactek@aol.com

another one that can be used are the ones from 280ZX. they had a couple of different models. the one from the turbo model goes on the pasenger side only, over the turbo. its metal and looks nice. the other design comes one for each side and is plastic. i am not sure how it will stand up to the turbo heat.