Carbon fiber Airdam

Tfreestyle

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, maybe a bit late in the game but how about making it a 3 piece airdam. Use the '88-'89 Conquest style and split it into 3 pieces, 2 corners and a middle piece. It will at least make for easier/cheaper repair. (I sure hope that all of you are aware of the fact that the carbon stuff can certainly crack and under adverse circumstances even break e.g. when it's cold)

Furthermore I think it would be very nice if the corner pieces could be made in such a way that they could be attached to the bumper skin without having to remove the bumper skin i.e. the whole bumper a**'y from the front of the car first.

Kind Regards;

DUTCHGPS

'82 Starion 4G63

'88 Starion 4G54

carbon fiber wont crack just because its cold, atleast not to my knowledge. It would actually cost more to make it a 3 piece because 3 different molds would have to be made which would bump up the price because 3 different pieces would have to be bought. Price is based more on labor costs, not on the amount of carbon fiber and there would be alot more labor on 3 pieces.

I am still trying to work out a price on them but I am going to try to keep them cost effective and not be some crazy price. I am working with two different companies to get the lowest price for you guys. I will keep everyone posted.

I have been really busy at work, 10 hour days everyday. I am still working out deals with different companies to get the best deals. I had an issue with the guy I was originally going with so on to the rest of the guys I know. I have a meeting set up alittle later in the week but everything is moving along just a minor set back. this isnt going to turn into a 6 month thing like the 83 hood.

I would be interested depending on cost/benefit... it's gotta be better than the stock air dam or it's not worth more than a stock replacement to me.

I did have a couple design ideas... didn't see many suggestions...

is there some possible way to make the lower 2-3 inches of the dam lip out of a tough but flexible rubber type material so scraping that occaisional too steep driveway apron you just gotta go over doesn't break the doggone thing? How about a way to extend that rubber lip so you can adjust to fit your own clearance? i don't see why the existing lip has to wrap all the way under the way it does, seems a rubber strip could simply wrap around the front, safely fold under when we hit min clearance.

How about a wire mesh grill of some sort in the side air inlets so rocks on the road don't hammer the front of the oil coolers flat... perhaps even over the intercooler opening? If not, perhaps provisions to mount some? dunno, maybe I'm just ramblin here...

This airdam can only be carbon fiber and its just going to be an exact copy of a brand new oem airdam, I dont want to make any changes to it. The mesh might be able to be done in the process and if I cant get it done its not hard to do it yourself, very simple process. I was trying to work out the deal for these airdams with a few different companies but couldnt settle on one thing before I left on vacation. I am actually writing this from london so the finalized deal is going to have to wait till I get back which sucked. I am sorry guys. I am working on it though, I just want to get the best deal for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
ok guys, I just want to update everything that is happening. I know you are going to blame me for all this but I am trying to get it done. Originally I had two companies interested in doing this and then started jerking me around. Since then I have contacted multiple companies and have been having problems with pretty much all of them. Either they dont even respond to the message or messages I have left them or they say they arent interested in such a small order(20-25 first run). Most companies have such bigger accounts and interests that they dont want to do it, doesnt really make sense to me, money is money. But anyways I am trying to get it done but since I do work fulltime and having to catch up from my trip I am very busy with that too, I will get this done and I dont want to half a** it, it needs to be right.

Hey freestyle. I am going top have to say I am out of this now. We have a baby due dec 8th and I have sent the money for the CF hood, so the wife is shutting the purse strings. Heck i am looking at having to sell the Starion and Quest and just buying another volvo. The wife dose not want the kid riding around in "Those pices of Junk you like to call toys" as my wife says. Sorry if this had happened when you started this I would have bought one. Now i have some higher priorities. Thanks for trying though.

Crump

I talked to a promising company down in oceanside. I am driving down there next week saturday most likely to have them check it over and so I can meet them face to face and to see what type of people they are and the quality of their work. After that I will get the quote and a timeframe and if everything goes well it will be underway. I have to call again on monday to confirm a time on saturday but everything is looking pretty good.

whats the concensus on a cf header panel and headlight covers? I'm currently doing mine, making the header panel a bit different than stock. I'm eliminating the pop ups. My cf hood is flat across the front, no cutouts for the pop ups, and the header panel has a lip across the top where the pop up cutouts would be on a stock one. Running small rectangular lights, sort of like a late 80's, early 90's camaro, but smaller. Working on a bumper/airdam assy. Just can't get a look I like. I could do this in a "kit" form, hood, header, airdam, and headlight buckets, but would run around 1200 bucks, can even do it with carbon/kevlar in a couple different colors. Let me know who's interested. As soon as I'm done with my airdam, I'll get some pics up. and I don't want ANY money from ANY one, until I'm finished, and you can see EXACTLY what you're paying for.

slowquest, what are you talking about? I plan on showing the header panel and headlight covers to this guy down in oceanside to get some approximate prices and then post those online, if I can get enough interest then I will make them. Is there anyone in san diego/oceanside area that would be willing to help me out with the airdam, I will cut them a deal once its done. I need a car to test fit the new airdam on when I am at the company, they have to do a few things to it while its on a car to make sure its straight since its urethane and I cant drive my quest down to SD and the truck which is bringing a few other parts they will be doing for me

My understanding was that all the stuff you're looking at having done is "stock" style, correct?

I simply wanted to gauge interest in a custom style hood, header, and bumper/airdam, without popups. Not trying to jack your thread, and after some thought, regret even posting at all in it. NOT trying to take anything away from ya tfreestyle. I'll probably even be looking at one of your stock style airdams if ya get it worked out. Just wanted to offer another option for those looking for such.

I dont really mind you asking questions but its pretty easy to start your own thread since it basically has nothing to do with my airdam at all. I would appreciate if you would start your own thread and not post in here again. thank you.

Hey Tfree, Im still in on this and I appreciate all your hard work to get this done. I know how much of a pain it is to deal with this kinda stuff. I know theres plenty of SQ's in the SD area cuz I was living there last year in the summer, La Jolla area, and in my 7 weeks there I at least saw about 5 different ones. Too bad Im not down there anymore, or else Id totally help you out. If you need any help getting this setup in LA, lemme know.