Gauging interest in vertical doors

six_out_6

Great.  All I need is ANOTHER cool-a$$ thing to do to my car! haa.  

Keep working guys!  Best of luck to both projects.

-Matt

Wierd, I used dollar signs for the A-word as a pun, but it turned into the real a-word.  Anti-language filter eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As far as my camp goes, no it is not dead. But to those that have checked out the performance mods board, you can see my helping handywork in the engine swap going on.

We are hoping to have the Hard parts (engine/trans/driveshaft) done by the weekend. Hopefully we will also have alot of the soft parts done too, like the hoses. Joe is gonna get to the wiring when it comes in Friday, and hopefully be firing this pig over the weekend.

After that, my full attention will be put back on the little projects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

haa.  Those lights are crazy!  With only 3/4 of the door actually on the wing, that car could hold quite a bit of water in there if the windows/sunroof were left open!

It's a real shame threads like this are even made.  Its obvious there's interest based on past ones, but nothing ever seems to actually come from it other than cool pics.

-Matt

Well the problem is and will ALWAYS be the same... MONEY !

Not too many of us can afford to dump $2500.00 in the vertical doors project.

There's a shop here in Cali that makes them for any car you just have to take your car to them and let them play with it. Oh yes $$$$ up front.

So thats the problem, I will love to get the gull wings as well BUT I am NOT about to shell out $3000.00 + for this option.

And YES I preffer the Gull over the Vertical door set-up.

Just my $0.02 worth

Oscar

Yeah, I hear ya.  Just too bad the original research proposed on here has fallen to the wayside.  I totally understand their priorities.  Your right, the initial cost is immense.  I'm sure if a successful bolt kit was developed and put out into our market at an affordable price it would sell like hotcakes, as the interest in this thread shows.

The gullwing looks cooler IMO, but practicality of gas pump issues pushes me to the vertical concepts.  Those headlights could always double as a tanning bed too. ;D

The problem with designing vertical door hindges for this car is getting paid for it.  The costs of engineering these hindges could be well into 5k range.  For this I was offering putting my time and some of my bosses time into helping me.  The hindges would have tested by me (computer program and hand written calculations) and custom fabricated by my friend working for the Naval Shipyard.  All in all I thought the time and tallent we have to put into this would yield a decent profit.  Sadly I was mistaken, people were wanting these at near cost.  I don't see that as a good use of my time or any one else's.  But hey, you get what you pay for.. right?

I am puting some money on the side to purchase vert kit for my TSI, but I am still not sure if it will work fine on my  car.  I have seen the universal kit for $1800 but my body shop mech tells me that it may need mayor mods on the body of my tsi...  If i purchase them i will post a pic for you guys.  it will be in 2 months or so it all depends on where delta airlines goes..lol

Do a rought cost/benefit analysis with a function of variable resale kit costs and # of potential kits sold (interested replies at X cost).  See how it adds up.  It's obvious a good number of people are indeed interested, but you'll have to find that magic price number to overcome your fixed costs and give the profit margin you're looking for.

Likely that won't happen, but I'd bet that for every reply on this site, you'll have 2 to 3 times the interest elsewhere (other SQ sites, e-bay, and non-replying inactive SQ Club members).  

Toss around the numbers.  It would be a major addition to the SQ community to have a mod this cool out there!!

-Matt