OEM '83 retainers & locks*GP#2*07/30/03Closed

Tim_C.

These are the retainers & locks for the longer, early style mechanical lash adjust valves. They are better to use on all performance mechanical set-ups due to all performance cams are reduced to some degree, even new blanks that are ground, are reduced smaller than stock. The extra length valve helps restore the geometry. The valves can be used on hydraulic performance cam set-ups too. They have different keeper grooves cut into them. these are the retainers & keepers for those grooves. They are getting very scarce, so now is the best time to get them, even if you are not quite ready, but will need them in the future. These parts will no longer be available from anybody. I have yet to see an aftermarket maker for them either.

$65 shipped. I need another 5 people total so I can order in more sets. I shipped my set to Dave-ROR, so I am #1 again. Have to order 5 sets at a time due to they come in multiples of 10 only, so I order 4 sets of 10 to get 5 sets total for us.

I can only take Money Orders right now. I will update the list as payments are received.

GP2 list starts here. Smiley's Paid.

1.  :) Tim C.

2.  ;)Dan Shipped 07/30/03

3.  :DFOFORICEROCKET Shipped 07/30/03

Well, only us 3 got in on the last one. I don't plan on doing any more GP's on this, but can get the parts when someone needs them. Just let me know.

Thanks

Smiley marks paid, $65

1.  :)Me, Tim C. 05/22/03

2.  ;)Banky 05/22/03 Shipped 06/02/03Received week of 06/09/03

3.  :Ddrgns88Quest 05/22/03 Shipped 05/30/03Received Product: 06/05/03

4.  ;D :oKimo Yogi (2 sets)Received 06/09/03 Shipped 06/10/03

5. randy (2 sets)

6.  8)Dave-ROR Received 06/09/03 shipped 06/10/03

I may have extra sets, and can order more if needed. Anyone can get in on these still. Received Product: 06/17/03

Yes, this is for the '83 & earlier mechanical valvetrain. We are mating them to the hydraulic roller cam set-up. The valves with the squared off grooves, instead of the rounded ones like all the hydraulic are.

I went ahead & placed the order today to come up with a total of 5 sets.

The parts are in stock at a Mitsu truck parts warehouse. That warehouse supplies this place I am getting them from. It will take 4 days or so to get there, & then another 4 days to get to me.

Thanks,

Tim C.

hey Tim,

i sent my payment today,  let me know when you recieve it...

you will get it in a red envelope, i know it's gay but i ran out of white envelopes.

thanx, drgns88quest

You can get the valves from Marnal no problem, I'm sure you know that.  They are widely available in aftermarket circles.  The biggest reason to jump on this GP is for the keepers and retainers.  I played hell to find those sum-bijjez, and I notice it wasn't easy for the guys in the other GP either.  I ended up pulling them from an old Lebaron that had the stuff I needed.   You might even consider trying to order them for a Lebaron if you can figure out exactly which year it was.  I think it was '83 or '84.  Â Actually it's not even the keepers that are hard to find, it's just the retainers.  The keepers/locks I kept getting from NAPA (no matter what year 2.6 I asked for) were the '83 style locks.  And retainers were indeed unavailable from every single source I tried, including the dealer where I have a pretty good connection.  

As far as whether there's anything special about them.  They are at least twice as beefy.  They set deep down into a square groove in the valve, and the valves are longer above the groove so you can use the short adjuster screws in your mechanical rockers...  I've pretty much decided that when mitsu went to the hydraulic adjusters and associated shorter valves, (shorter applies to length above the groove only) the easiest fix was to use the same valves in all 2.6s and go with a longer adjuster screw in the rocker, which wasn't optimal, but worked fine.  I doubt whether there's ever been a big issue with locks popping out of valves, but if there were, this would certainly be an excellent fix.  If you compare the older lock to the newer round/half moon shaped lock it is painfully obvious which one is less likely to wiggle its way out of the valve if anything goes wrong.  And that is not something you want floating in your oil.  

I'm trying to help your GP efforts rather than hurt them Tim, sorry if any of this sounds like that's not the case.  Those retainers/spring caps are very hard to find.  The valves and locks however can be had for a total of about $38shipped, brand new.  Back when I was after these parts I spent 4 days searching.  My project, for which I thought I had all my ducks in a row, was delayed substantially.  Had I been given the oppurtunity to have all the right stuff come to my door with no hassle, I'd have gladly payed $65.  

That fine chip. Thanks for the info. I have seen the hydraulic keepers come out. Only in pics on this site. They can get down under the cam, and get smashed into the head, cracking it, and allowing coolant to come out. That area is only about 1/8" thick.

• 3 weeks later...

Tim, please don't get rid of the two complete sets I ordered, money will be sent to you on Friday, 6 June from Podunk Junction, GA.  Just received the header from Chad, what a beauty. If had not just purchased 5.73 acres, a pond, and a house for the wife I would be putting my project Quest together and ordering the Monsta roller cam from ya....

Jim J AKA KimoYogi

• 2 weeks later...
Well all, we are wiping out the supplier on these. This it for them, except for a future lea time of 8 weeks on all future orders through them. So, I will continue to source them elsewhere, but the ticket on these parts is getting harder to come up with. I am actually waiting 6 weeks just to get this last order.

So are you out Tim?  I've been delaying the inevitable need to order them as I looked for an '83 in the yards.

Well, here's a taste of murphy's law for you. I was feeling lucky so went out to the pick N pull and found an '83.   All these other times I've come across '83s where the hood is gone everything else is there, but this tiem the hood was there but someone had taken the engine!  Actually out of a near record of 4 Quests in one yard, 3 had their engines gone and the 4th was left behind becuase it was toast.  Apperently there are many StarQuests hiding out around San Jose, just not many enthusiasts.

Anyway, I did get 8 keepers (4 sets) from West broad, no luck with the retainers though,  When I was ordering stuff last month online  I went ahead and requested them.  I didn't realize I needed to put 16 down.  So i still need the retainers and 8 keepers.

Steve A.

Yes, I can still get them, but they are now coming from Japan, and it takes 8 weeks! Just the retainers. The locks/keepers, are in stock here in the states.