getting rid of rust?

1quikquest

One of my cars has a little bit of rust on the rear driverside fender, by the back of the rear wheel well.  if i have this taken care of how likely is it to come back?  what should i do to get rid of it? can i get a replacement fender? any body got any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

O'Reillys sells this stuff that you brush on after sanding- Supposedly it wont come back

Its like 5 bux They have two kinds

If your rusted through its new panel time depending on where it is because a used panel is cheaper than a bodyshop  

I don't know much about getting rid of rust but I did find something to (supposedly) prevent it. I did a little research recently and found an electronic rust inhibitor. It constantly sends a very small charge from the battery to all of the metal in the car which prevents oxidation (rust). I ordered one from J. C. Whitley ($99) last week and installed it a few days ago (took about a 1/2 hour).

I have a small patch of rust on my rear fenders too and before I installed this rust preventer it seemed to be getting worse and worse each day (especially with all of the road salt they dump on the streets here in PA!). It's a little early to say whether or not it's working, but so far so good...

the drawback to those elctrode things are they dont protect the whole car. only a certain radius from there the elctrodes are attached to the car. the furtur away from the electrodes the weaker the signal. if you have a small pack of rust. getting opne of these things and placing the electrodes by that patch would be good. but if your car is rusted all over you would need a bunch of them.Now dont get me wrong these dont macke rusted spots get better, they only prevent from future rust. the best thing to do would have a professional redo the body. if its rusted through make sure they replace that panel. then have is sanded real good. primered real good with a rust preventative primer,. and painted real good. the layers of primer and paint are important. just some fyi

Steve

my dad had one of those rust inhibitor things on his f-150, it was a dealer option or came stock or something, but 87 quest is right .. it only really works around where the electrodes are, after about 5 years the truck was starting to rust around the back fenders and he always kept is washed and the salt cleaned off so it didnt really help at all.  as for fixing rust you need to get rid of all rust that is there and if its through then you need to weld in a new panel and coat it with rust inhibitor and primer and if you can get to the backside too because thats where it normally starts, then put some good paint and clearcoat on it and chances are itll last for quite a while, but if you dont get rid of it all and seal it all up the the rust will be back after a couple years.

-Jason

hey quick question, wisconsin has some nasty winters, well my cars rusting at the bottom of the car by the wheel wells, its rusted throught and it looks nasty as hell, i was planning on getting done at a body shop and just weld out the spots this summer, or would i just be better off replacing the whole panels, because its on both sides, and where can i find all four panels if so.  rust is the reason why im considering getting rid of the car and i dont know what to do. i do want to keep the car. yikes!?

• 4 weeks later...