headlight conversion

MoMagnum

I just called and priced those kits.  You ready for this?  $1000 for the kit!  I dunno about you guys but I am going to talk to my friend about using his dad's fiberglass shop.  LOL  That's friggin crazy prices.  Guess those Porsche guys ARE all rich, just as I suspected.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Paul87Quest
$1000!  :o Those guys have been using the crack pipe too long! Well...it at least was a pic where you could see what it would look like. ;)

I fabricated a set and they are on my car right now, I've had em for about 4 months. They look very similar to the RE Amemeyia kits for the FD3S RX-7. Very agressive looking and totally transforms the front end. My stock pop-ups developed problems that I just didn't have the patience to resolve, I completely eliminated the problem and made new lights/wiring.

Basically, it's an all alluminum "box" made of a base, 2 sides that match the contour of the headlight lids, a back piece, and a lexan lid which is masked and painted in the areas that the light does not show through. The lid is connected via 4 tiny allen bolts, which screw into 4 small alluminum tabs which are drilled and tapped.. The sides are bolted to the base and back, which are also both drilled and tapped so it all fits togeather nicely.

They look HOT, I don't have a digicam or any pics of them right now, but I'll try to get them. I'm still playing with ideas for different lights, but right now I've got (4) 130watt projectors in there ;)...

Lemme tell you it was quite an ordeal testing, fitting, etc. I had access to a machine shop and a lot of freedom to do whatever I wanted at the time. I can disassemble one and draw up a schematic if somebody wants to try and duplicate them. When I get the pictures, I'll combine them with the schematic and put a page up if people are interested.

Later

Oh yes, a diagram and pictures are now REQUIRED if you want to stay on this board Fuze. :)

If not, I'll have to hunt you down and run you off the road in true road race fasion!  ;D

The machine shop I was in is inside a "compound" where my father works, at a Gvot. contracted pharmaceutical firm. He works in the robotics dept, so the machine shop for that dept has stocks of lexan, delrin, alluminum, titanium, etc.. I cut the lexan lids from a sheet, using the old metal covers as templates, but it was tricky and took some finessing. They are somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 " thick. I built the boxes, drilled the lids and bolted them at the top and bottom, then used a heat gun to relax the lexan into the bent angle. Being very careful, because if I used too much heat the lexan would distort and throw the light all over the place, but the bend is pretty much above the light's beam projection area.

I plan on doing the fog lights also, putting some High intensity lights in there and making a new module to fit in there. Really updates the car. For those that like the pop-ups, I suggest the H4 "diamondback" conversion, available at Summit racing. These are replacement lights/lenses which accept the popular H4 bulb, which HID kits are also available in, and they ahve a chrome angular back with a diffuser in front of the bulbs, which the other styles don't have. Much nicer than the Hella style.

here is one of the miata kits someone mentioned earlier

http://www.midtennmiata.com/images/hellalgtasm-lr.jpg

these lights are hella's, one prjector and one regular lens driving on each side.  the lights would be a good candidate to design around, they are the same as used in the Saleen S7 and plenty of other exotic cars.  i will be attempting to design my own system, if all goes well, i may be able yo produce them in small quantities.  we'll see...

Nostalgia aside, my vote would be to get rid of the pop-ups because they

weigh 9 lbs each, another thing to go wrong (how often have you seen a SQ

with one light up and one down!), and they are a aerodynamic disaster.

I have been looking for a suitable replacement unit to base the mod on.

As the car has angular lines, I do not want a round light.

The best candidates I have found are the last year Dodge Daytona (93 I think)

and/or some 80's Civics that had a rectangular flat lens with about the same angle

as the front fascia panel (between the headlights) on a SQ.

Does anyone know of a headlight unit that better matches the angle of the

front fascia on our cars?

I was thinking about putting the clear lens under the pop up headlights from a 90 Eclipse and putting a pair of projector lenses behind them and just using the pop up lights as air intakes for the turbo's.  That would be cool but I think the headlight conversion that just takes the place of the pop ups would be easier.

myself and a buddy of mine are in the process of making a fixed headlight conversion on our quests.  we will most likely use a rectangular light, because the car is somewhat boxy in shape.  will post pics upon completion.

myself and a buddy of mine are in the process of making a fixed headlight conversion on our quests.  we will most likely use a rectangular light, because the car is somewhat boxy in shape.  will post pics upon completion.

Please let us know the out come, if it looks good than I want to buy 1 set.

Thanks,

Gerry

the lights are 90mm in diameter.  one regular and one projector per side.  the lights alone go for about $60 apiece.  but these are great lights.  i have them on my miata and the light output is great.

OK I FINALLY HOSTED THE PIC MYSELF TO SHOW EVERYONE SOME SICK IDEAS FOR THEIR QUEST..me i am doing the rear feder design myself (within the next 3 weeks) and i am doing the supra tail lights also...PREPAIR TO DROOOOL!

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/205000-205999/205543_178_full.jpg