Help wanted ....

Hello everyone. My name is Jerry and i live in Holland.

Last year a friend of mine sold me a Starion project. They took 2 cars apart to make  good one but the engineer

died of Covid so they had lots of crates with parts and a rolling chassis and nobody to put it together.

So i accepted the challenge and now i have a nice 1984 Mitsubishi Starion that is up and running.

There is only 1 problem that i can not solve.

My pop up headlights come up when i turn on the headlights but when i turn the lights of the fuse burns out and the lights dont go down.

does somebody recognize this problem and has a solution?

what have i tried so far: i unplugged the headlight motors, still the fuse burns. I changed the whole unit with relays beside the battery 

(because a have a spare). Still the fuse burns. When a put power to the headlight motors the work just fine.

I hope someone has a cure for me 

I've had this issue specifically with an 84, many years ago.   It was the headlight popup switch on the right side of the cluster.  The switch is slightly different on an 84 than later years.    It would literally smoke at times when it wouldn't pop the fuse.   Swapping it with a donor switch amended the issue at the time, so I never tried to pull it a part and clean it.   

It came from the switch that just opens the pop up lights on my car (the upper right switch)....but it could be the same problem with the switch that turns on the headlights (upper left).   I really think it is the switch.  

• 4 weeks later...

ok guys,

i have checked everything. Here is what i learned so far:

my headlight switch (upper left) activate the pop ups when the light is turned on. When you turn off the headlight the pop ups are supposed to go down automaticly.

The switch works fine.

I took out the switch and disconnected the wire that feeds the downwards motion. Now the fuse stays ok and when i manually lower the popups they work good. the lights go on and they pop up.

When i switch them off the lights go out but the headlights stay up.

Now when i put ground on the wire for the downward motion, nothing happens. When i put 12v on the wire, the fuse burns, like it used to. The lights stay up.

So any suggestions to help me move further are very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Hello everyone,

i found an old post from 2008 on this site. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76158

Someone else had the same problem.

I followed the instruction step by step. I found out that the "flash to pass" relais is not mounted on the firewall near the brake booster but behind the dash, left of the glove compartment. Off course thats with my car, European 1984 Starion Turbo EX.

So what happened is that i put together the dash after painting the car a few months ago. The cable i marked that they go into a relais.

When i put together the dash i plugged in a relais on which is written "antenna control relais".

Must be it right? Next to the radio and the plug fits perfect!

Wrong!!!

The flash to pass relais is mounted behind the dash so i did not see it at first. Now i recognized that i plugged in the wrong relais. I changed the relais and everything works beautifully!

Thanks for the help. 

The car sold today and the new owner is a real fan so it will be around for many more years.

Greetzz from Holland!!!

• Like 1