Hatch hinge gaskets

vbrad511

I've got the dreaded hatch-out-of-alignment issue. I band-aided it a few years ago, but now it's back. What I'm seeing is the gaskets between the hinge and the glass have gotten dry and don't grip like they should, so the hatch glass slides down. There isn't enough adjustment in the body mount of the hinge to make up for it. Where can I source new gaskets?

hmm, I remember its all molded one piece, but its been a while. The problem is usually related to those bushing pieces being smooshed or distorted.

It'd be great if say somebody who made poly bushings would make these also. hint hint hint hint. I'd buy four sets yestarday.

hmm, I remember its all molded one piece, but its been a while. The problem is usually related to those bushing pieces being smooshed or distorted.

It'd be great if say somebody who made poly bushings would make these also. hint hint hint hint. I'd buy four sets yestarday.

Believe they are, think they are lol a torque tube mount, goes through the glass

Good news....I found a source for them and ordered 5 sets. I'll be putting one set on my car, and saving a set, but the rest I'll pass on to folks if they want them.

If you want to order them yourself go here....

http://home.comcast.net/~DriftAbility/images/Komeuppance/87i.pdf

It's a PDF and will give you the part number. You scroll down to page 923 (it's a long scroll), and the fishe shows all the related parts. I also ordered new screws for mine.

From there I went to

Oemmitsubishiparts.com and pasted my part numbers and searched. They came right up, added to the cart, adjusted quantities, checked out....now wait.

Hope it helps.

Good news....I found a source for them and ordered 5 sets. I'll be putting one set on my car, and saving a set, but the rest I'll pass on to folks if they want them.

I'll take a set if available. How much & what all did you get (screws, gasket, (other?))?

Edited by mstieg

Good info and cool find.

FYI, I used a bicycle inner tube as gasket material and cut my own a few years ago. Has held up fine.

When working on the hinges, either disconnect the support struts or only do one side at a time.

Or have another person there with you to keep the hatch in the right place as the struts will shove it rearward even if latched closed.

I ordered 5 sets of the packings, and a few extra screws. I'll be keeping two sets , so if somebody wants a set or two I'll save you a little cash....that is, once they get here.

shipping is ridiculous everywhere you find that part number lol

...and to be safe, maybe before anybody else orders these for themselves let's wait and make sure the confirmation email they should send out tells me they can actually get hands-on on these, and that the order will process. I'll keep you all posted as soon as I know either way. I'm pretty confident that it'll all work out, but there's that off chance they'll come back, tell me they're out of production, and refund my money.

Good info and cool find.

FYI, I used a bicycle inner tube as gasket material and cut my own a few years ago. Has held up fine.

When working on the hinges, either disconnect the support struts or only do one side at a time.

Or have another person there with you to keep the hatch in the right place as the struts will shove it rearward even if latched closed.

This is exactly what I would have done.