boost problem no boost or little 4PSI thats it ~~RESOLVED!!~~

importwarrior

well for starters

modified 86 FIP TBi pro with ignition.

problem is when driving normal there is no real boost.

even floored it only makes 4 Psi maybe 5 under heavy load.

things that have been done...

new exhaust manifold gasket, studs, nuts, washers.

manifold has been surfaced.

new turbo TD06 20G, waste gate, turbine housing all new.

checked all intercooler couplers and clamps tight.

new manifold to turbo gasket.

new turbine to down pipe gasket.

vacuum when idling and under cruise is normal compared to my cars readings.

air fuel ratios seem proper.

what happened?:

while driving the car before all the above was done it all of a sudden lost most like a coupler popped off.

thought it was the turbo and after that found the exhaust manifold gasket needed repair.

put in all new listed above and same exact symptoms. like a coupler popped of or has massive vac leak?

tested intercooler from end to end and it is holding boat pressure no problems.

don't know what else to check. maybe a clogged cat? no sign of leaks on intake or T body. it looks clean as new.

can bad hydraulic lifters cause this problem?

any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks!

Another thing to check if your still internal wastegate is that your flapper is sealing properly. I'm having an issue with mine right now as well something similar to what your describing except that sometimes it seats well and seals, other times it sits oddly and will leak not allowing for fast boost building and once in awhile a lack of any real boost. In my case I need a new hotside I think.

turbo spins great and is brand new. i know that does not mean it could have a problem

but the new turbo has the same problem as the old one did. no boost past 4-5 psi..

clogged cat is welded on. the exhaust is 2 1/2 inch from the turbo back to 3 inch muffler.

no way to see cat unless i cut it out..... I can remove the entire exhaust and go for a test spin. will try it out.

waste gate flapper was getting stuck open but cleaned up the flapper area and now it opens and closes properly.

thank you for all the help suggestions.

exhaust is fairly new, total rebuild by machine shop,less the 8000 miles unless scott is logging a lot. there is an ebc that is wired in. just needs to be hooked up to wastegate. hose leak or wastegate is all i got. i assume that is my ex you are asking about. i'm still in love with her so be gentle.

The car is amazing. many mods for sure.

taking my time doing things proper.

nothing but TLC here. just running out of options on this issue.

seems like a hole in the intercooler or vac hose came off somewhere.

I'm sure it is something i am missing.

No, not yet. I am going to take it to a local turbo shop for a boot leak test next week. And a leak down test if necessary. Just a thought, any chance the clutch could be slipping?

clutch is new but stock,very good chance it is slipping. i have an act clutch and pressure plate i was going to install.

Tested the clutch

4 th gear pull from 24 to 30 MPH step on gas and

Car rpm's climb with speed.

Stoped put car in 3rd tries to start as if in first gear.

Car would stall if I didn't press the clutch in.

Tested the waste gate and it opens and closes no issues.

Checked compression and it is high 135 plus across.

All cylinders.

Still need to test exhaust pressure.

Need to drop exhaust with downpipe only to see

If it makes a difference

No, not yet. I am going to take it to a local turbo shop for a boot leak test next week. And a leak down test if necessary. Just a thought, any chance the clutch could be slipping?

Just a suggestion on saving yourself some money that is probably just as good as doing a boot leak down test (what I'm assuming is the intake accordian intake boot between the intake filter cannister & the Turbo inlet).

Remove the 'boot" and look at it entirely while flexing each of the ripples's peaks & valleys using a magnifying glass. See any cracks, splits etc.especially in the valleys? Then look at the inside of the hose ends to see if they are frayed, delaminated, cracked etc. None - OK. Then reinstall the intake boot and start the engine. Have someone monitoring the tac RPM while you flex the boot as you're spraying starter 'fluid" on each boot wrinkle and joint. If RPM's increase as you spray then you found your leak. If no RPM increase then remove all of the hoses going to & from the intercooler and do the same thing.

Still no evidence of leakage? The remove the OVCP and check it is 'rubber" connectors the same way as above.

I've found that the weak link in the Starquest's inlet tubing is the rubber hose connection between the OVCP and the TB inlet. Over the years I've found that 2 of them in the Old Broads life, developed cracks in 'em. Never could figure out why they went FUBAR in just that particular location.

Then remove and visually check your intercooler for evidence of it's cooling tubing (between the fins) having hples, dings or cracks caused by road debris. For suspect areas, ya might want to check it using the starter fluid while monitoring engine Tac RPM's. also.

Just some thoughts from a Dirty Old Man who's gone through what you are going through.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS SAFETY ISSUE - make sure that you have a fan indirectly blowing across the engine house while your spraying the starter fluid cuz it may put you asleep - like RIGHT NOW CUZ IT'S ETHER!!

the car started doing this and we replaced everything and found a few new things as we went along.

made lots of repairs and fixes. replaced the turbo with a whole new turbo including turbine housing and wategate.

pressure tested the wastegate and it appears to be opening properly. at least functioning and moving smooth.

original boost controller was set to 10PSi. put a brand new hallman boost controller on it because we thought

it might be the problem did not make a difference.

thursday the 8th will be when we check exhaust and cat.