Gastank sending unit???

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this on the the stock fuel pump pressure hose. Is the a Damner of some kind damper device?

Do you guys know of a thread/s on this site that explain these pieces?

Do I need to add these types of devices to my current set up?

Looks better yes....

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/Scoobysruvenge1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150801_194633_611_zpsazuooe9e.jpg

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1031

8 pages of posts. Now that's a way to boost you post count.

the pic above is a damper for the fuel pump if I remember corectly. If you have not already, remove the small cone filter located at the inlet side of the pump. It will not work with any aftermarket pump. It can get stuck and ruin the pump.

see the post above...

Thanks Redcat, the article above explained alot. Still curious I dug deeper into the fuel damper.

What I found out is as follows:

1. Fuel dampers basically smooth the out the pulsating created by the opening and closing of the injector/s. This damper in practice creates a smoother less glitchy

throttle response.

2. Many manufactures use these devices OEM. This got me a little more convinced that maybe there was something to this fuel damper thing.

So I figured if there was something to it there must be an aftermarket for it. So I looked and I could not find much just a bunch of OEM dampers and very few specs.

In addition... Can one of these devices restrict fuel if not properly sized and if it truley smooths delivery why is there no aftermarket?

Racers will take any advantage they can to get an advantage and it seems to me there would be someone selling these in any color you want with different sizes.

Are there any members running there pump without one? I'm sure there are.

throttle response.

2. Many manufactures use these devices OEM. This got me a little more convinced that maybe there was something to this fuel damper thing.

So I figured if there was something to it there must be an aftermarket for it. So I looked and I could not find much just a bunch of OEM dampers and very few specs.

In addition... Can one of these devices restrict fuel if not properly sized and if it truley smooths delivery why is there no aftermarket?

Racers will take any advantage they can to get an advantage and it seems to me there would be someone selling these in any color you want with different sizes.

Are there any members running there pump without one? I'm sure there are.

Looking on car_ part.com I found a listing out of MA for a TSI gastank dented. I called to see if it had a sending unit. They sent me a pic (not very one) but the seller assured me it was in good working order and for $60 shipped I took a shot.

I was pleasantly surpized when I opened the box. The only thing that does not look perfectly new is the top of the sending unit. However a little Scotchbrite and I'm sure it would shine right up.

Newbie's luck!

With the gas tank ready, swnnding unit aquired, pump, filter and plumbing assembled...

I just need the tank strainer which I can get at my local Mitsubishi dealership. The other parts I need are:

The sending unit gasket.

Fuel pump gasket.

I have the old fuel pump rubber gasket, it's not bad at all but I would like to have a new one.

I have no sending unit gasket at all. I can make one if OEM is not available.

Do any of the members here know were to get these gaskets?

Weather permitting I will remove the fuel injectors and blow out the fuel lines.

I have read about the injector clips as a common source of trouble so a replacement set of clips are on my list of parts needed.

I was curious if you guys have purchased and installed one of the many rebuild kits I see on line?

Or should I just have the injectors tested, cleaned and the rubber o rings replaced?

Check around and you will find a throttle body rebuild kit that contains the o rings for the injectors. usually around 30 bucks.

also check out Lower Shores Performance. do a search for that name on this site. He has some throttle body shaft seals and some o rings for the fuel line that enters the top hat on top of the throttle body.

cleaning out the metal fuel lines is a great idea. Dont forget to replace the 2 rubber lines up front and the return line. I had mine replace at a local shop. they reused the original ends of the hoses and crimped them in the new hose. cost me about 5 buck a piece.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and advice. I have not looked over the throttle body or the hoses yet.

Weather permitting I will get a Good look at everything under the hood tomorrow.

I still a have radiator to get dipped and cleaned and have the cooling system to go through.

Beyond that have to put all the stuff the previous owner had removed and put in the hatch. Air beather, vaccum lines and so on.

Then hopefully I can get the car running in good stock form with the exception of the 16g for starters and upgrade the car as I go.

Yes get the car running good before you start modding the crap out of it. That way with one mod at a time you can tell if something is wrong