Underhood SWITCHED Power - Best place to tap into?

ghengber

I ran a whole new cooling fan system. Last hurdle is to find the best place to find a SWITCHED power wire I can tap into. I was running it off the positive side of the coil, but there must be a better location. Thoughts?

Install a relay, use the positive side of the coil to switch the relay on, use a direct line to the battery + to run your fan. The black wire/white stripe that feeds the positive side of the coil flows through the ignition switch, using it directly to power anything else just burns up the ignition switch. Basic electrics 101.

Just to clarify, are you saying to just run the FAN RELAY wire that needs SWITCHED Power to the positive side of the coil (which is how I have it now)?

(or are you saying to install another relay off the positive coil wire to power the FAN RELAYS?

Obviously, I'm not an electrical genius and I appreciate your assistance.

Why not get your power from the OEM fan relay setup? Positive is switched to key on and grounds are switched to turn fans on.

If using ignition or fuel pump wires only use them to trigger a relay. They are already taxed enough with what they run. If you add fans to that load you can melt wires or the ECI fuse link.