Actual Mechanic (not virtual) - Want to build an awesome car and make some money?

dspan

Hi Everyone,

I would like your advice. In short, I would like to find a kick-tail performance shop near me or hire one of your starquest gurus to help make my dream car. I am located just North of Boston and I am willing to bring the car wherever.

I am a new proud owner of a 1989 Conquest SHP. The car is in great shape, and the engine was just rebuilt about 300 miles ago but it was before I owned it so I can not speak to the quality of the rebuild. This is my second conquest and for this car, I want it to be my dream car hahaha. Only problem is that I am a hack and don't have the time, skills or equipment to do it the right way. I know enough to be danergous and have taken apart just about every piece of automotive technology. It is the putting it back together step that sometimes gets ugly.

Anyway, here is the punchlist. I am hoping this will be a good opportunity for someone who loves working on these cars to have some fun and put some good money in their pocket.

Jay's Punchlist:

-Replace existing suspension with D2 coilovers all around. I already bought the D2 package and they are sitting in my house in the unopened box. The welding part of the install terrifies me. haha

-Turn the 100% stock setup into something that can lay down ~350HP while maintaining the mitsu turbo 4. In other words, dropping in a GM small-block is not something I want. I realize there any many different ways to get there, but I am leaving this intentially open for debate so my own foolish ideas will not cloud thr best path.

-Upgraded drivetrain in order to handle the new power

Today is May 1st, and I would like to get started on this immediately. I am a laid back easy going guy and many of my auto builds have taken years to complete. This one however, I want done immediately and as fast as possible because I seriously can't wait to drive my dream car any longer haha.

dspan@yahoo.com

Thanks for your time,

Jay

Thank you for the rapid reply. I PM'd 4cylfury, but couldn't find the usernames "Texans" or "Phinko" but I will keep trying to find them.

Check with the Texans, Phinko or 4cylfury.

Edited by dspan

Best way to search on here... Go to Google and type in "site:starquestclub.com (your question/member)

For 4cyl You'd type "site:starquestclub.com 4cylfury" and all you need is somewhere he posted to get to his profile ;)

- Charles

I kno scott. Thats a shot at phillip lol

Phil knows what he's doing. I ask him for advise all the time

If I was in better shape id build you a car. Ive done it for four people around me. Everyone knew me and my car and knew I had the knowledge and parts to fix any SQ

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jay! I hope you are doing well.... I am glad to read you are very passionate about bringing the Conquest to the next level. I would love to see what you have done to it so far, but as you may know, I already moved out of MA.....just missing the crazy winter you guys had! lol!

You have no idea how many times I have regreted selling my car....I really miss it!, but it gives me great satisfaction to know that I couldn't have found a better guy to take ownership and care for the car, the same or better than I did with my limited resources.

You are now looking for someone knowledgeable in these cars near MA.....I did the same thing a couple of years ago while I was still in MA, but you will soon realize that there are no gurus near by.....which is dissapointing. It was for me!. Based on my former research, the nearest shop that do great stuff for these machines, is in Maryland or Virginia. I don't remember his name, but he does alot of 2JZ swaps. Something that I was never interested on.

Best of luck my friend, and I hope you do great things with "my black beauty"....maybe, Ill buy it back from you if you ever get bored! lol!

BTW, do you still have the amphicar and the land cruiser?

Edited by dmdvzla