brakes, Brakes, BRAKES!!!

jeph_tsi

Took the conquest to Putnam park over the weekend, Putnam park is a 1.76 mile road course. This is the first time with the conquest on a road course and it behaved great, except for the brakes, they sucked! At the end of the straightaway into the first turn I had a brake line blow. I was going around 110, managed to slow down a bit before running off course, not sure how fast I was going but prolly around 80? Luckily its a track and there's nothing to hit so I got a little dent on my intercooler, and a bunch of mud on the undercarriage. I had my go pro rolling too so as soon as I figure it out I'll have to post footage, may have to mute part of it though, lol!

I was able to fix the brake line and continue running, didn't get in as much as I wanted to, but maybe 40 laps. I think I need to find a sway bar, and time for bigger brakes, otherwise the car felt great! Pics to come.

Work on getting ducting to the front brakes first and be sure to flush your fluid yearly. If that doesn't keep the brakes from boiling over, then it's worth the trouble to upgrade to larger brakes.

I went through the hassle of upgrading the fronts to 12.75" rotors and four pot calipers... even with those I need to install ducting to keep them in check. You may as well try the ducting first!

yeah, bled them before, and once during the day. I probably won't do much to them for a while, they're fine for daily driving duties. I'd like to get bigger brakes but really want to keep stock wheels which will make things difficult. What rotors/calipers did you use? Did they fit the stock wheels?

I upgraded to these back in 2011 because I wanted to keep stock rims also. Haven't had any issues. Definite improvement in reduction of brake fade...although I've never put them through the ringer on the track.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOD040S-Conquest-Starion-Performance-Brake-Rotor-Front-Rear-Drill-Curve-Slot-/161273150942?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258ca0fdde&vxp=mtr

I already have drilled/slotted on all four and had hawk hps pads on the front. I think its just time for bigger brakes, I've already done suspension, and much more power and all this makes it harder on the stock brake system. I'm gonna start searching for good rotors and calipers that can fit in my stock wheel from a car with more aftermarket and performance options. I still need to find a swaybar that fits too, but that didn't slow me down as much as the brakes, the car did surprisingly well even without the front swaybar.

Wait... you have NO front swaybar??? Not even the stock???

mookee sells one and ST springs sells one too.

Pretty sure there were some write ups on using bigger brakes. In fact there was a big

hoo to do about a steel bracket and an aluminum bracket from different vendors but I

think used the same aftermarket caliper.

Have a few friend that drag and all have said Brakes, Brakes, Brakes... Dont forget to upgrade your brakes

You have to stop that thing at the end of the track...

Edited by 87redcat

yep, no swaybar, my car is swapped with a 1jz and the oil pan is a lot bigger, no way for the stock swaybar to fit... I've been looking for a swaybar from something else that can fit but no luck so far although I'm close to something working and this track day was just the motivation that I needed. I've seen a few write ups on brakes, but none of them are just what I want. I don't want to re-drill rotors and want to make something using all oe parts from other cars (except caliper brackets of course). I really wish the pbr mustang brakes would fit with the stock wheels...

Yeah whatever you do, make sure you do some sort of ducting. Say no to cross drilled rotors, they will crack, slotted is the way to go. Get a good set of pads, I used to run Hawk Blacks on the front and porterfield r4's on the rear (with the mustang cobra setup) and honestly it was amazing. If you went with a smaller rotor, you could still run the PBR calipers...

I've got Joe's car here and just did a BBK on it. He picked the stuff up off ebay, similar to the ones creaky posted, but the brackets are a bit different. You're welcome to stop by the house and take a look at them. Just pm me for the address.

yeah, bled them before, and once during the day. I probably won't do much to them for a while, they're fine for daily driving duties. I'd like to get bigger brakes but really want to keep stock wheels which will make things difficult. What rotors/calipers did you use? Did they fit the stock wheels?

They fit the stock 8" rears, but to run 7" fronts would require spacers. I ended up converting the front end of my car to flatty suspension parts to make the rear wheels fit the fenders, but that does have some negative effects to scrub steer.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=119370

Saw the ebay kit, looks like about what I'm after but want to use oe parts from other cars as this is a daily driver and I put a lot of miles on it. Its good to be able to hit up autozone in a pinch. Definitely gonna work on some kind of ducting Convette, I think that may benefit me the best, this is primarily my dd and really wont see too much track time. I'll get the videos up asap, you'll get a good laugh! I need to figure out my gopro, I'm pretty computer dumb lol! My computer has vista and apparently gopro's don't like vista!

^^Vista sucks in so many ways. If your comp has a card reader, use that instead of trying to get the PC to recognize the camera through the USB cable. They are notorious for not being detected that way. If you use your GoPro regularly, grab an external card reader if you need to, they work better than the cam but internal is best.

Once you have the video files on the comp you're good to go. On PC's I have had good luck with the AVS video software suite, most of the apps are free but for $30 you get everything they make, for life. Useful tools for video and audio that let you do whatever you want to.

AVS Suite site

On a Mac you can use the basic iMovie to get it done.

If you're not going to do any editing and want to post the vid online, I suggest Vimeo.com over YouTube because they provide true HD and way better upload speeds. They also don't censor anything really.