turbo gremlin project

Doctor_Drift

After building 4 successful cars running megasquirt and sporting turbo's a guy i know hit me up to swap a jeep 4.0 into his 72 gremlin and im going to run ms1 and turbo it. been trying to pick a turbo for the project and im thinking of a garrett t3/t4 with a to4e 60 trim compressor and a stg 3 turbine wheel with a .63 a/r housing. You may think this is to small for a 4L engine but keep in mind the head flows like spit and i have a 5500 rev limit. These engines are done making power after 4k so i want something fast to spool. Target boost is 12-14 psi. Any thoughts are welcome. Edited by Doctor_Drift

The 4L jeep is lighter than the 3.8 we are taking out something about the block is different. Anyways The open weak sauce rear end will be getting replaced with a 8.8 explorer unit with track lock and the long side shortened. Gonna retain the floor mounted 3 speed because i was told they will not die (challenge accepted) He had a gremmy with a 401 and the same 3 speed and he could not break it and he raped the car till he sold it. He Recently bought some nice ar wheels they look old scool and fit the car well. Running 225-55-15 ft and 245-60-15 rear bfg's. I am in the process of modding his gas tank for efi and a return line. I will have pics soon but im going to do a mass post after its running under its own power. This way you guys will get some burnout and doughnut pics/video. I am going to make a turbo manifold like i did on my quest with sch 40 weld els. 3'' exhaust is going to be interesting though lol. Edited by Doctor_Drift

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing it back from the dead.

So Shelby, I normally beg to differ as I think the 4.0 is an awesome performance engine and an excellent muscle motor alternative to the average Joe v8. However, I respect your knowledge and want to ask why you say that. I someday dream of building a bad 4.6 stroker in an AMC and would like to know.

Doctor drift. There's a guy on here running a supercharged 4.0 with megasquirt. So it's more than reasonable.

My logic however says if you can build a 4.6 stroker with over the counter or junk yard parts running stock ecu and make 260hp easily for around 700-1200... Is the turbo setup cost effective for similar power? So since you already have to go standalone anyway, why not for a couple dollars more go all out and stroke it to 4.6 and turbo? Not criticizing, very intrigued by this and asking.

Edited by Malykaii

if you stick with t3, i would go with atleast a .80 a/r hotside, let it flow a little more, if you stick with the 63, get a 44mm wastegate atleast, to help flow the excess pressure.

i had pondered the thought of a turbo 4.0, should make good torque

just remember, careful with the turbo, since most 4.0 dont carry much oil pressure to begin with