4Runner forums are slow tonight, can anyone here help

chiplee

So I've been trying to fix a vibration under acceleration in my 4Runner for months and finally got around to shooting some gopro footage of my CVs to track it down. The shaking started with the original OEM CV's at about 110k miles. I assumed the original CV's just needed rebuilt so I replaced them with rebuilt ones. The CV in the video is an autozone rebuilt unit, so I'm leaning toward replacing it with a new OEM CV that can actually handle the droop my lift causes. Trouble is the diff mounting bolts were loose as heck when these CVs went in so I'm afraid it's actually diff bearings or something. Any thoughts?

http://vimeo.com/116500328

Edited by chiplee

3gen right? (sorry 5 gen)

modified suspension, and aftermarket rims?

Have you checked al the applicable TSB's? (complaints)http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/4Runner/2009/recalls/

Were the bearings leaking oil?

Is it an Auto 5 speed?

Edited by Metric-man

Inboard joint looks like the either the axle (inboard splines section) is worn out or the diff bearings. Grab that part and tug on it. the differential side gears should not let it move all around like that.

C/V axles are very often blamed for vibration when its an overlooked tire or balance issue. Especially if the play is in the joints (the cup shape part that the tripod and race ride in) The next most most likely culprit is wheel or diff bearings.

In the video it almost looks like the inboard axle was not fully seated into the diff.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

the 4runner complaints look a lot like the Tacoma complaints I've seen.

I had a problem with my Tacoma every 10,000 miles I would need to resurface my rotors

and change the pads because the front end would shake.

the problem lessened when I matched my similar weighted/balanced tires on the same differential and in rotation.(maintenance)

After 30,000 I needed to r&r the front stabilizers and struts.

I took it to the dealership and had the PCM recalibrated , it seemed to adjust the shift points by changing the fuel tables. It basically smoothed out the ride quality and decreased fuel consumption.

3gen right? (sorry 5 gen)

modified suspension, and aftermarket rims?

Have you checked al the applicable TSB's? (complaints)http://www.carcompla...r/2009/recalls/

Were the bearings leaking oil?

Is it an Auto 5 speed?

Inboard joint looks like the either the axle (inboard splines section) is worn out or the diff bearings. Grab that part and tug on it. the differential side gears should not let it move all around like that.

C/V axles are very often blamed for vibration when its an overlooked tire or balance issue. Especially if the play is in the joints (the cup shape part that the tripod and race ride in) The next most most likely culprit is wheel or diff bearings.

In the video it almost looks like the inboard axle was not fully seated into the diff.

It's a 4th gen. '04 V8, so full time 4x4. This diff was built by a shop that replaces the notoriously week diff bearings with a brass bushing to prevent this issue, but with the diff being loose when we got in there to replace the CV's I'm leaning toward that bushing being the culprit. We'll see. Thanks for the replies.