CES 2015 BMW Audi Laser Headlights

Fanta

Very aware of the laser tech, was exposed to it starting back in 1982 when pops brought home a small industrial laser from the job. I am of course talking about focused laser light, not diffused light. Any light can be focused into a higher intensity but not any light has the energy of a laser, and typically diffusing laser light is the opposite of the desired application. Excluding toys like the pointers, lasers with any real power are very bad for retinas. In the laser labs I've been in, the engineers wore black glass goggles that you can look at the sun with. They'd fire up the laser and I'd watch it bounce off of all the mirrors bolted to the table, tweak the mirrors and send the beam here and there. Yep, a very cool place for a young kid to hang out and learn.

In this application it seems more gimmick than practicality. LED tech is still progressing and far cheaper than the use of laser light for illumination. Looking at the video it seems that the laser's application here is as a sensing/scanning array, but not much detail there. Then again, it's a trade show presentation.

Grandparents worked for allied laser. So I got introduced to them at a young age too.

Ok, first to use the words "neodymium yag" correctly in a sentence wins. And, go.

I have neodymium yag crystal here in my garage. Along with other laser materials plus prisms and mirrors and lab equipment. Grandparents hoarded what they could when allied shut down.

http://www.scientificmaterials.com/img/products/nd-yag.jpg

http://industrial-lasers.net/pictures/2.jpg

Ok, first to use the words "neodymium yag" correctly in a sentence wins. And, go.

LOL I'm no expert I just know a few useless things. Pops engineered motor controllers for pharma robots, the laser lab was just in the next room. All those guys were just big kids with expensive toys.