helping hand

fijiblueman

hey guys i havent been on in awhile been busy at work and dealing with the kids. I am posting asking for help or ideas where to look to defeat my current problem. She is going in for an interior make over soon and i need to get her running right.

First off she is stock with the exception of some hard pipes and a 3 inch exhaust. She sat for part of the summer as i was contemplating the interior and body/paint and when i brought her outta the shop she drove fine and then this happened:

I am getting no spark from the coil part of the time Sometimes she starts sometimes she wont she cuts out on long trips, she sometimes dies at a stop sign. I replaced the coil and currently am doing this:

when she will not start there is no spark coming from the coil so i take a piece of wire and place one end on the negative side of the coil and to other to the negative side of the battery (with the key on of course) and bam she starts and runs fine for a lil bit.

ive checked the wires and everything seem good. Curious if anybody has any ideas it is boost season and i miss her.

thanks in advance

Paul

Sounds like for sure one of two problems

1 bad coil

2 faulty wiring or damaged wiring or bad ground

Test the coils resistance on the primary and secondary windings.

primary test hook your multimeter in ohms between positive and negative about .4 to 2 ohms max is okay , hook leads to positive and coil output and look for 6,000 to about 15,000 is a rule of thumb. I think the book gives slightly different numbers. But a bad coil will show up , because a winding is open or shorted.

you ground the coil and it starts? sounds like the pick up in the distributor is bad...test that too. Its in here...

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_26_-_electrical.pdf

copy and paste from service manual...

Ignition coil

Primary resistance 1.12- 1.38 ohm

Secondary resistance 9.4- 12.7 k ohm

Or just find a sucker in Oregon to sell it to. LOL

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Sounds like for sure one of two problems

1 bad coil

2 faulty wiring or damaged wiring or bad ground

Test the coils resistance on the primary and secondary windings.

primary test hook your multimeter in ohms between positive and negative about .4 to 2 ohms max is okay , hook leads to positive and coil output and look for 6,000 to about 15,000 is a rule of thumb. I think the book gives slightly different numbers. But a bad coil will show up , because a winding is open or shorted.

you ground the coil and it starts? sounds like the pick up in the distributor is bad...test that too. Its in here...

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_26_-_electrical.pdf

copy and paste from service manual...

Ignition coil

Primary resistance 1.12- 1.38 ohm

Secondary resistance 9.4- 12.7 k ohm

Or just find a sucker in Oregon to sell it to. LOL

I would've said knock box, no Johnny?

the dist sends pulse to igniter and igniter trigers coil to spark , those 3 things and wireing is about all there is to ign , and a good power signal feed from ign swt

make sure inj clips are clean esp the pri side , it'l act just like no spark if bad connection

can't see how grounding the coil neg would do any thing but short the coil and cause a no spark

a momentary touch to ground will cause a spark but weaker then if the igniter did it

Well as you know the coil always has positive B+ at the coil and the "dwell" or saturation happens from the signal side being grounded and then ungrounded so that is probably what is happening. I am just going by what he said.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Pull the battery out and dig deep for the big main harness plug under the fuse links , over the years it gets all kinds of dirt and crap thrown at it , unplug it and clean it up and see what happens.