maf sensor

rsg69

• 1 month later...

The 1g maf is "plug & Play" but you have to be aware of the fact that your otherwise OEM STOCK Starquest engine will run richer cuz the Starquest OEM EFI computer processses it's input signals differently than the 90-94 Eclipse/Talon/Laser TURBO ONLY EFI computer consequently throwing the fuel maps off. This has been documented innumerable times over the years in the archives here on SQC.

I would suggest that you get your Lady everything that she can be using the OEM Stock Factory MAF using http://www.starquest...showtopic=66449 After she is running great OEM Stock, only then would I would consider going to the 1 G MAF.

Why throw more crap in the game by installing a 1 g maf?

For What It's Worth.

KEN

PS I don't understand WTH is going on with all of this underlining. Tried to get rid of it, but for some reason I can't in edit.

• 4 weeks later...

IS there a specific test to verify the MAF is working or not? I tested the ambient temp sensor by using a hair drier and multimeter and that checked good. According to the manual it states if that test passes, the MAF is good.

My 88 now runs since I fixed the timing, and I installed the OEM MAF the PO had even though he installed a talon turbo maf. I verified he didn't change the wiring order at the plug. When the vehicle runs, it runs at a high idle, tach isn't working right now so I dont know the RPM, but i would guestimate 1500 ie or more and very rich. I can keep the car running by bouncing the throttle quickly and sometimes WOT to keep it running. As soon as I stop, the engine dies.

I am going to pull codes if I can and start testing TPS, ISC, and related components. Other experience suggestions would be appreciated.

PS I don't understand WTH is going on with all of this underlining. Tried to get rid of it, but for some reason I can't in edit.

Fixed it for ya

fyi in edit highlight the underlined section then press the underline button. That will get rid of it.

The only way to test the MAF is thru the ambient air temp sensor.

I thought thats what I had read - the MAF could only be tested by the ambient temp sensor. both the OEM and the Talon one tested good via resistance change with a hair drier. Is it possible something else untestable could be wrong with the MAF?

Next is the harness angle. will get my meter out and see if there are any codes in the system. The engine runs and runs real rich, but wont idle at all. I am also looking at the TPS/ISC reset and possible stuck injectors.

Edited by SCillini

Verified the MAF is working the old fashioned way - by unplugging it. Car dumped enough fuel to have it dripping out of the vacuum ports. I let it evaporate and the car is back to its original problem. TPS/ISC reset is next on the list. . . .