I'm looking for information about ecu's "closed loop" conditions.

Hello guys, I am looking for information about what exactly tells the ecu to go into its closed loop condition. I've done some searching but only came up with people discussing which thermostat to install. The reason I'm looking into this is because I recently built a v-mount setup for my car but at this point I believe its too efficient and isn't allowing the car to warm up enough to tell the ecu "ok dude, your all set" lol.

I currently have a 180 degree thermostat installed and I'm guessing the first thing I could probably do is install a hotter one. Before I do that however I'd like to know the temp that the ecu looks for to go into its "closed loop".

Any info or thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Allen

Well since I'm running the stock temp sensor currently I don't know what my actual temp is. I can only give you a position on the stock gauge. As far as the CTS working what does that have to do with?

I will definitely need to get an accurate temp guage though.

Well I know that, but the condition of my CTS isn't a factor here. I'm just wondering about the actual conditions that the ecu looks for. Hard data I guess lol. Edited by speedyquest

Just out of curiosity, and I know this isn't exactly the information your seeking, is your CTS original or aftermarket? I had a heck of a time with my original one which was toast and found the aftermarket ones were junk. Put in a new OEM one and it made a world of difference.

I don't mean to sound un-thankful for you guys responding to this post but... did you guys read what I wrote? I'm not attempting to repair or diagnose anything. I am simply looking for information about when the ecu goes into a closed loop. My CTS is a non-issue.

And to sate your curiosity it is not an oem stock CTS. I believe its one I purchased from Dad or rockauto taking care to ensure it was the correct one.

Edited by speedyquest

The ECU goes into closed loop based on the CTS info alone. The FSM gives 4 temp references for testing the CTS. 32F, 68F, 104F and 176F Since 176F is the highest test point I'm willing to bet that around that temp the ECU goes into closed loop. Around 300-400 ohms or less.

Having covered that, my setup has a stock temp 195F stat in it. If you look at my ECU when it's warming up you will see the temp spikes to 195 then the stat opens and the temp settles down to 176F and stays there. Idling, city traffic, freeway use, doesn't matter. It always stays around 176F. So if you are using a lower temp stat then your running temp could be colder than the ECU needs to see before it goes into closed loop. That would make it never go into closed loop.

Thank you ucw, and that is what I believe is happening. I won't know what temperature my system is getting to until I put in a different temp gauge (which I'll do soon), but I'm guessing my overly efficient radiator setup + low temp thermostat are causing this situation.

Another thing to consider is that I havent even installed my aluminum radiator yet... that will exacerbate this too.

Edited by speedyquest

I run a 180degree tstat and i have both my radiator fans wired to come on at sametime and when fans fire up and its fairly cool temps outside my car sometimes will cycle between closed/open loop...just my 2 cents...

Gig out

The o2 sensor must also be warmed up and working properly. The ecu test port repeats one blink if the the sensor signal is not operating normally. and goes to a steady on when it is. If the engine is running too rich the sensor can't warm up enough. Do you have a heated 3 wire o2 sensor?

And if your foot is in the gas too far or air flow exceeds a certain point the ecu abandons closed loop.

Edited by StarquestRescue

Well now that you mention the ecu error, I have a toggle that turns on an LED built right into my dash, and I've always had the error light flash oxygen sensor even when at "operating temp". I put that in quotes because of this situation where I don't think its reaching that temperature.

Its interesting too because I planned on abandoning the stock oxygen sensor and instead using the output from my AEM EUGO wideband for the ecu. I should probably check to see that its heated... but I guess I'm curious now, how does the ecu know the oxygen sensor is working correctly?

Edited by speedyquest

Pretty much what StarquestRescue said. The ecu knows the o2 sensor is working and turns off code 1 when the o2 sensor is up to temp. and is sending approximately 1V to the ecu. According to FSM it says to test for aprox. 1V from the o2 sensor while revving or "racing" the engine and while coolant temp. is between 185*F-205*F. Sounds like your ecu never receives that signal from the o2 sensor being bad.

-Dave

Edited by dpstarion88