StarQuester Needs Our Help

NikoFab

Ok gang,

I have a fellow starquester (profile DReady) here near Houston that needs our help guys. He's been jacked around now by not one...not two...but three mechanics to the tune of $20k and still has nothing to show for it.

He's ordered D2s, and front air dam, and other parts from me...apparently I'm the only person who's come through for him in any way on his project. He's wanting to do a 4G63 conversion...already has the motor ready to go. He's had the car painted up beautifully.

I'm not one into broadcasting too much of a personal email conversation, but he could really use our help, so I will insert this quote from the email I got from him today:

Nick,

Well, 6 months later and lots of money invested and my mechanic has yet to touch my car, other than taking the engine out.

The engine bay is painted and the dashboard components are stacked in the car like a scrap heap. I've got the 4G63, D2 coil overs, air dam and other stuff and am looking for a person or shop to put everything together. Really frustrated with this project, 20K in and very little to show for it. A shade tree mechanic is the last thing I am looking for now.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Doug

Now I've owned 4G63 Eclipses and I've owned Starquests, but I'm no mechanic by any means. So I'm asking you guys to join me in helping Douglas in any way we can.

His SQC profile page is here: http://www.starquest...?showuser=26357

Cheers and thanks in advance gang,

Nick

Edited by NikoFab

First off it sounds like he needs to take legal action against whoever was dealing with the car up to this point. Secondly if he isn't up for tackling it himself he will definitely want to try finding a reputable place with proven results in something like this. I'm not sure how much more help most of us other than locals can be unless he is willing to do the work himself.

I hate seeing stuff like this, I truly hope he gets everything figured out and gets some of his money back.

Allen

My advice is to get a lawyer.

Problem is even if it gets done, being ripped off like this leaves a bad taste in peoples mind. The car ends up being a reminder of the theft and the passion for building it disappears. Then it usually gets sold, parted, abandoned ect.

Edited by ucw458

First off it sounds like he needs to take legal action against whoever was dealing with the car up to this point. Secondly if he isn't up for tackling it himself he will definitely want to try finding a reputable place with proven results in something like this. I'm not sure how much more help most of us other than locals can be unless he is willing to do the work himself.

I hate seeing stuff like this, I truly hope he gets everything figured out and gets some of his money back.

Allen

Douglas and I have been in communication for about the last nine months. I introduced him to SQC about six months ago I guess.

This has really been a trying experience for him. Due to his job, he's not able to do the work himself, so he has trusted this project now to three different mechanics...who've all screwed him over.

One of the mechanic shops even told him that they would order the D2s for him to help save time. They called me, ordered them at group rate discount, then turned around and billed him that rate plus $500.00 more. Boy I'd love to get my hands on that S.O.B.

Edited by NikoFab

I really wanted a 4g63 swap once, but ended up doing a 1jz car. The problem with the swap is it seems just too easy on paper when in reality there is a lot more to it, I'm guessing this is what got these crooks in over their heads, you really need to understand these cars and mitsubishi engines to properly do this swap. I think all of the responses so far are very solid, hopefully he is reading this. What he really needs to do is get educated on the swap, the more he knows the harder it will be to get ripped off again. projectzerog.com is an awesome site for anyone interested in a 4g6x swap, get familiar with it. I really hope this horrible experience doesn't ruin sq's for him, projects like these are what we need to appreciate the value of our cars and to positively represent this community. I hope someone will step in and help sort this out, wish I could help but I'm a bit far away (cincinnati, oh).

i'l be honest with you the odds of finding a shop willing to do an engine swap like that is near

impossible , if they did do it you'd pay way too much , 100's of hours

that is why things like this is a do it your self project

this off the mits 2.0 will not bolt up to your stock tranny , that will require an adaptor kit

using a 2.4 truck block would solve that , but you need to do a little mod'ing to the 2.0 head to bolt

it on the 2.4 , also if you plan on doing high boosting you'll need to add piston squinters to the

you can do the swap with eather engine but having a shop do it would made it a huge expense easily $4k to $6 k for a shop to do it , do it your self for like $2k or less

as suggested do the research your self , all the info you need is out there

He needs to talk to one of those guys from DSM shoot out videos running 4G63 s in Starions. Basically, he needs a DSM person.

I agree with Shelby, something like this is darn near impossible to get a mechanic to do the work. A project like this is more of a time waster for them for the average Joe.

Send the car and all the parts to Burshar Racing in Ohio. And don't forget to send the check book, too. They do amazing things.