Joined the Starquest brotherhood recently and am beginning my restoration. Let me propose my next plan so that I can be flamed appropriately if this is unwise. I have some oil leaks that need to be fixed (only seems to leak under load, not dripping much in my parking spot)

1. Clean the underside of the engine to track a leak that appears to be from the rear of the engine.

2. Drain the oil

3. Repair or replace leaky component as necessary

4. Replace turbo oil return (which looks soaked in oil)

5. Rebuild and replace oil cooler lines (also leaky) per Dad's DIY on the subject

6. Drop oil pan and clean out sludge, also look for anything out of place

7. Refill with oil and add oil flush solvent to break up deposits in parts i cant reach

8. Another oil change to complete the flush

I did a search for "oil flush" and found nothing. I assume someone will jump in here and tell me why no one is doing one :P

So yeah, a newbie question from a newbie dude. Thanks in advance.

Heya dude, it sounds like a pretty good plan. I would suggest a few things though. While you are replacing / cleaning your oil cooler lines also clean out your oil cooler very well. As far as the oil flush the only argument I can see people having is that you may dislodge contaminants someplace in the oil system and cause damage to your engine. Other than that I don't see any kind of issue with it other than what you might use to do the flush itself.

Keep in mind the argument I brought up about the flush was purely me playing devils advocate and I'm not even sure that is a "thing" or not.

Keep at it and good luck man

Allen

Thank you for your quick reply Allen! I will add the oil cooler itself to the cleaning list.

I hear your concern in regards to setting deposits loose in the engine, in theory the solvent should break those all down to ensure they dont block any small passages, but that may yet be a valid concern. My other minor concern was if the oil flush might have a negative effect on any seals or sensors. I assume the solvent is designed for these applications but I am not expert enough to say that there is nothing special about Starquests that might react negatively to the solvent.

Any other input is appreciated.

Thanks for the advice. Flushing before dropping the pan makes sense. Man I'm glad to have this site!

Do I need a new oil pan gasket before i get started on this?

Rotella... Gave it a light googling and couldn't really find out anything meaningful. Care to elaborate?