Manual transmission hard to shift into gears

I had a new competition stage 4 clutch put in my car awhile back. It's getting harder to shift into gear now. Hard to get into first than the rest. Then downshifting is a huge problem. Very hard to downshift into second! No grinding into gears except sometimes when I am trying to downshift into third and it won't go in.

This is a used transmission because the last transmission in it grinded into third. It has always been a little harder into gears than the first transmission. But then, that new clutch was never installed on the old transmission.

What is the problem with it? Slave cylinder going bad? Leak? I don't see any fluid....but it has leaked before and I tightened the clamp.

Thanks for any help.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news... but you should start with the simple stuff first. I had the same problenm and changed both the slave and master cylinders without change. ordered a new clutch and after removing the old one and inspecting it, I found 1 spring broke on it broken. sad part was that clutch was only in for a year and a half.

There are several threads on this site that review this issue, best to search for a bit. The stock hydraulic clutch release system can be improved upon, even with new master, slave and well bled lines.

Clutch is dragging on flywheel !!!!!..Spring is broken on pressure plate..Pressure plate moves out crooked so pressure plate drags on flywheel???...Things arnt flat on flywheel and pressure plate.???..stage 4 is hard on clutch pressure plate ..Lots of heat on parts will make things worp...Synchros don't go bad in all gears at the same time....If there are blue spots on flywheel those are high spots must be ground flat ....... Edited by markhansenconquest

thanks for clearing that up and educating us a bit Mark! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Stock shifter or aftermarket short throw by chance? The bushing on the MK1 short throw is notorious for wearing out, which then make the shifter not push the change shifter far enough to fully engage. It's more noticeable switching from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears.