Retirement present to me, from me. Apparently I love me.

chiplee

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. congrats!! you got some patience brother!! enjoy it and be safe

Yes! Congrats.!!!

Merry Christmas to you!

Thanks gents. It's been 48 hours now and the car is just perfection on wheels. I'm probably easy to impress having never owned a new car but I mean everything about it is just so precise and rewarding. Can't wait to get through break in and really feel what it's all about. It's a surprisingly emotional connection. Cruising at 110mph feels a little like flying on these barren desert roads near me, which is good since I hung it up in the Hornet this year, lol.

Thanks gents. It's been 48 hours now and the car is just perfection on wheels. I'm probably easy to impress having never owned a new car but I mean everything about it is just so precise and rewarding. Can't wait to get through break in and really feel what it's all about. It's a surprisingly emotional connection. Cruising at 110mph feels a little like flying on these barren desert roads near me, which is good since I hung it up in the Hornet this year, lol.

I doubt it's because you're easy to impress, BMW puts things together incredibly well. Congrats on receiving your early Christmas present man. Glad you're enjoying it

I doubt it's because you're easy to impress, BMW puts things together incredibly well. Congrats on receiving your early Christmas present man. Glad you're enjoying it

Ha, well thanks. Yeah it's technically the third brand new BMW I've owned, but the other two were my wife's. It is impressive even compared to those other cars though so you're probably right.

Nice man, that doesn't suck.. at all. Jealous for sure.

Thanks. It's been impressive watching your monster take on some serious cars with manufacturer R&D budgets. This thing was just the perfect car at the perfect time for me. I love that they went to a twin turbo straight 6 over the old V8. I love the torque, love the styling, needed 4 doors, etc, etc. I had fallen in love with a lot of the features in my wife's 2015 X5 so having them for myself every day is a real treat. Feels like a bargain.

Edited by chiplee

Just read a car and driver article on the new M's. Car has 67 "M" emblems! Crazy.

Haha, yeah that's because they stamped or molded all of the M specific suspension parts with an ///M. I'd be surprised if they actually found them all.

You see a lot of them in the suspension deep dive they did with M3 engineers here... http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005164

As far as visible M's I think it has fewer than my wife's M-sport trimmed X5, which frustrates some M fanatics and pleases others. M has been bastardized with marketing since you can get an M-sport edition of anything they sell now, and it just "looks ///M'ish" without any of the M go fast engineering. The other three trim lines for the X5 were just ugly, so that's why we got it.

congrats chip!

new leather must smell nice

Thanks. It does. My full interior is Merino leather. Wife's car is Dakota leather with a Merino leather dash. Both smell amazing but I think I like her's better for some reason. Her car is SOOO much more comfortable, so she'll be lucking out and getting to trade pretty often, which she's stoked about since she loves the M3. I pretty much regret the purchase anytime I'm not in the car. Then when I start it and back out of the garage that all goes away and I remind myself that this is all a big boy game and I wouldn't have been content until I knew what it was like to play it, lol.

Thanks. It does. My full interior is Merino leather. Wife's car is Dakota leather with a Merino leather dash. Both smell amazing but I think I like her's better for some reason. Her car is SOOO much more comfortable, so she'll be lucking out and getting to trade pretty often, which she's stoked about since she loves the M3. I pretty much regret the purchase anytime I'm not in the car. Then when I start it and back out of the garage that all goes away and I remind myself that this is all a big boy game and I wouldn't have been content until I knew what it was like to play it, lol.

I want to ask how you feel about the conquest since you have the BMW but I know you are probably still too excited to give an accurate response?

I will ask again when you report the excitement of the new cars beginning to wane.

I want to ask how you feel about the conquest since you have the BMW but I know you are probably still too excited to give an accurate response?

I will ask again when you report the excitement of the new cars beginning to wane.

No I already said in another thread that it's not as exciting as the conquest. I will hold off on committing to that stance until the M3 is broken in, but back when I was running a 292 on meth with mechanical rockers my Conquest was brutally fast. I haven't felt that yet out of the M3 even though the numbers are technically better. It may be that I just haven't felt it hook but for now I'm not "blown away" by the BMW. That said, the M3's broad range of capability is impressive. It can be quiet, docile, accommodating, luxurious and honestly stupid fast with amazing cornering and braking performance. The quest will never touch the tech savvy of the 2015 M3 either, but in terms of raw holy $crap scary acceleration, the quest is winning so far.

come on Chip that statement makes me laugh.

im sure nothing compares to the RAW scary holy Crap acceleration of the fighter Jet. :D :lol:

Haha, that depends on what kind of acceleration you're talking about? A cat shot from 0-170mph in 3 seconds? Sure, nothing beats that.