Stand alone ECU FEELER!!

383chevelle

Hey guys just wanted to see if there would be any interest in a stand alone ecu group buy. The ecu would be a Performance Electronics PE3 unit with both wire harness's. Here is a link to the manual for the ecu, it gives a good description about all the features and how to set up the ecu. Also if you would like to download the tuning program it is free and you can play with some of the features.

http://www.pe-ltd.co...ries Manual.pdf

I know a lot of folks are die hard mega squirt users but after running both systems I really think the PE3 offers a lot of options for someone that may not have the knowledge or desire to learn the knowledge to make big changes in the MS ecus. Lots of the options that are setup in the ms configuration program are drop down menus in the PE3 tuning software. Also setting up water meth or boost control or any number of controlled outputs is as easy as clicking the correct option in the software. For instance any digital output can be set to pwm control with a custom table based off any two parameters you want just by clicking the pwm box for that output. There is only a few things that require hardware additions, like a pullup resistor depending on what coils you run is one this we ran into on the fsae car. With that said I am by no means a expert with mega squirt stuff or the PE stuff but I really like the PE3 and PE tuning software a lot. Also the support these guys offer is outstanding they really like helping customers out.

If we can get 10 people interested we are looking at around $1000.00 for the ecu and harness. Said they depending on what options we want it might be a little higher. Also they said if someone would be willing to drop a car off with them they would make a plug and play harness and tune that car on their dyno so that we have a base can tune to start from.

I know that there are a lot of different configurations that people are running in these cars so I also need to know what the majority of you would be looking for when it comes to the plug and play setup. Would you like something to run stock tbi with no ignition control, or stock with ignition control( stock meaning a maf based load), or a non maf setup for tbi with ignition control, or full out MPI.

Well let me know what you think and what concerns, questions, or comments you have.

Edited by 383chevelle

This ecu looks great.

It looks like it has the capability of Megasquirt, but the simplicity of the majors, like tec3, greddy, or aem.

The hardest part will be having a plug and play ecu with "factory reliability" for $1000. I mean most of these guys didn't pay that for their cars. (I'm sure plenty paid more though.)

But, with the flexibility this will offer with the potential reliability this will offer (depending what the manufacturer is willing to put into it) it shouldn't be a hard sell once it's established.

I see the company is in Ohio. So they are not too far away from me, but I don't have a grand to put on an ecu, but I have a car that is between ecus. But it is having electrical issues aside from that.

IMO, if there was a "stock" option, with no maf but knock sensing and maybe boost control, it should be an easy sell.

Also, the MPI guys should be able to benefit from this as well. You know, the modded magna with EDIS. Seems like it could be fairly cookie cutter.

I like the idea. If you can make it happen, that speaks louder than the idea though.

//edit:

I just downloaded the software to see what it's like.

It's kind of clunky, like old megatune, just with no gauges. Just little numbers. This will be hard for the diyer.

The ecu though, 26x25 tables, very flexible configurations. I think I'd like to try one, but not at the moment.

Looks like they use standard gm sensors for air temp, coolant, and map. It can be setup with a crank or cam sensor. So the mookeh 36-1 is a safe bet. Not a bad looking setup.

Also, you can setup a diagnostic light, fancy. Nice for the "stock" liking guys with their check engine lights.

Edited by button

The simplicity is what I really like about. Plus it is easy to make tuning changes in the program. While it doesnt have a true guage package like MS it does have a bar at the top that gives all the current readings for each sensor. Plus it has a larger window that can be opened that shows the real time values for each of the sensors. Another thing that is lost is the VE analysis tool but I think it is a fair trade for the flexibility and ease of use that the ecu gives. I was hoping that it would be a little cheaper because I know 1000 is a lot but it is still a good deal i think. Plus the excellent customer service and the fact that they want to work with our group is awesome.

Deciding what configuration would be most helpful for them to develop a plug and play for would be the biggest issue.I feel like the best bet would be the tbi with the maf removed or using a gm maf and ignition control. I think this would provide a very good system that would appeal to the most members.The MPI guys are hands on enough to make the wiring harness from there base harness.

creating a plug n play should not be hard.

you need to decide on the easily accessible

components.

like GM sensors and mighty max dizzy.

type of map sensor

then just have them create the program and make harnesses.

you need a set standard.

Edited by importwarrior

Brian Lewis is the contact for PE that I have talked to about this. He sent me an email today reminding me that we can use the stock sensors in this setup. As long as we have the calibration data, in service manual, we can program that into the ecu.

patra I was worried that was going to be the case for the majority of the members here. I know it is quite a bit more then the megasquirt units but there is no need to modify anything if you change to a different set up or say you decide to but a v8 in your car, there would be no modification to the ecu just a rewire and go. I think this ecu is more comparable to the ms3 pro that they just released rather then the older units.

Ok so in addition to the setup please post your desired price point.