A turbo guideline ( Opinions needed )

Ironside

I am a low budget build type guy.

I was collecting these td05-td06 turbo's in the past.

Without upgrading anything to an all oem starquest, well besides a fuel pump, exhuast(2.5 downpipe eliminate cats) and hardpipes, which every starquest deserves!!

I have bolted all these on the same car : 14b,14g,16g,18g,19c, all in a td05 housing

td06 housing: ive bolted on a 17c and 20g

I like the bolt on 14g,14b,16g for a near stock (oem) starquest the best!!!

18g and above in the td05 housing the idle is noticabley different but you can still drive the car.

and spool time is great with awesome boost level changes from the oem 12a. But the fpr, mass air, and such should be upgraded.

The td06 17c syclone/typhoon stock turbo is one bad assss bolt on for these engines the boost comes on a little slow, around 3200 rpms,......but hang on when it does. I love the noticeable differance.

When I went to the 20g compressor wheel in the td06 ex. side syclone turbo I thought the boost came on a little far too late and too hard when it did.

But these are all my results from a car listed above, low budget build. throw something on it and see what it does.

I have almost sold all these turbo's and lost intrest in the trial and error. But it was fun.

This is my comment on real life stuff not an opinion. So use it as you will

Lionbull is that the same turbo that was on the Eagle Talon?

which talon is that?

I never had a talon.

Oh i get it.

no the early talons had a 14b

second gens had a t25.

Edited by lionbull

First off, like Scott said, know what your talking about.

16g 17c 18g 19c 20g refers to the compressor wheel ONLY.

td05, td05h, td06, td06sl, td06h is the turbine.

A good turbo comes from a proper comp&turbine match to the engine.

If your looking for a descent jump in hp with minimal to no "lag". Go straight for a 16g td05h. Anything else is a waste of cash. This will easily go 275whp+ with minimal supporting mods and 12's in the 1/4mi on good tires.

And for a person looking to just replace a worn out 12A, a 14B as found in 1st Gen DSM's will do more than fine. It spools hella fast and is an upgrade.

The stock A/R is equivelent to .48ar yes.

But a td05 wheel is a baby with no business on any 2.6 looking for power in the 300hp up range.

Edited by Funky Phil

you know some thing guys theres MORE cars on this site that are almost 100% stock or do not run then all the hop'd up cars combined

and Phil you also know a 12a at 20 lbs is barely pushing 300 cfm,, while a 20g at 20 lbs is moveing well over 650-700

now to try and compair the two at the same boost is like aples to grapes ,,and the exh turbine has not one thing to do with volume of air being moved , the rpms that boost will be reached may change and how fast/slow you get there

but boost/air volume on the 20g compressor wheel is still the same , once you get into exh gas being moved it's a diff story ,the small wheel still makes the same amount of boost that an 06 turbine will ,the diff is the rpm and how quick the boost is built , geting into the manifold back pressure is an entirely diff thing that is where the external waste gate is such a big help , this is not my first rodeo eather

the OP asked for opnions and i gave mine , you can give yours but don't try to talk down to me about turbo's and exh wheels

Facts would be better when somebody is deciding their turbo choice. Its discouraging saying you are going to blow a gasket when that isnt the case. Rather then shooting somebody down we should try to inform them of options for their goals. Turbo tech has come a long way since these cars were made. If the OP wants more power lets get him the info so he can make an informed decision. Edited by RonnieJ

come on are you guys reading what i type or adding in what you want to read ,, no where did i tell him he was going to blow his head gasket out,, i said it can be done with a 20g if some thing did happen like the waste gate hose spliting and comeing off

lately some of the guys have been geting the idea that a 20g is a baby turbo , it's far from being a baby

the down side of a 20g is the waste gate is way too small and that don't matter what exh turbine wheel you are runing

I'm on the internal gate with the 20G. Yes it has been enlarge to flow more due to the bigger wheel. With it enlarged and a properly divorced downpipe there are no issues

Boost creep is only an issue if you are trying to run a large turbo at low boost. We don't recommend trying to run a 500hp turbo at 7psi

never gona see a 20g limited down to 7 psi on an internal flaper :)

when the 20g first came out it got a bad name because no one did any porting , a lot of them were sold but a lot of guys didn't have suporting mods back then and had no idea how to stop boost creep so they sold or shelved them , lots of things have changed sence then

No shelby, your the one saying to pull vacuum hoses and sees if a head gasket bites the dirt.

I merely said itll likely do that with any turbo.

I told him to look at a 16g td05h and anything larger should have a larger/better flowing turbine wheel considered. This will ensure the engine is allowed to efficiently produce good hp vs boost.

If you try to stuff 5lb's or crap into a 1lb cap. shopping bag, it will eventually rip.

No shelby, your the one saying to pull vacuum hoses and sees if a head gasket bites the dirt.

I merely said itll likely do that with any turbo.

I told him to look at a 16g td05h and anything larger should have a larger/better flowing turbine wheel considered. This will ensure the engine is allowed to efficiently produce good hp vs boost.

If you try to stuff 5lb's or crap into a 1lb cap. shopping bag, it will eventually rip.

Phil kindly don't be puting words that i say in the wrong context and keep harping on it ,, it was brought up that you couldn't hurt the car with a little 20g , this was said to the OP, i was POINTING OUT THAT THAT IS NOT TRUE it can and will , do not have all my normal hard drvs in this pc right now or i'd show you what it can do , and do so fast even your super human reaction time isn't fast enought to stop it , ask Luke Tainner he was with me on a test ride when the hose blew off the waste gate , we were runing 18lbs of boost one sec and the 35 lb gauge was peged the next second , ain't no watching meters or any thing else you are gona do in time to prevent damage

and ALL mits houseing have the same size exh passages in the swirl chamber( for lack of a better word at this sec ) but i think you know what i mean . the size of the exh turbine wheel does not change that and never will ,makes no diff if the compressor wheel is a 12a , 16g 18 g or what ever nor does the exh wheel size , the larger the hot side wheel the easier it is for the turbine to push the compressor wheel , by adding more leverage , that in turn reduces the manifold back pressure

and i know you weren't arround at the time but i was the first guy on this site to ever ask what these guys were runing for back pressure , most had no idea what i was talking about , i've been working with and on turbo's sence the mid 70's and have rebuilt more then i can count , no i did not mix and match and build so called hybrids but i did learn a little about how to make one work

i learned what gets past the exh turbine is as important as what goes thru it , you call them external waste gates ,do you think they were first made last yr :) they have been out for many many years on many diff euro cars , in fact euro cars were runing multiport fuel inj 10 or more years before american cars even heard of TBI inj

no i do not have a 500 hp quest , but there is a 435 hp 89 quest in my yard runing a poor little 20g that i helped put togather .

but as a general rule i do not spend my time telling these guys how to go make huge HP ,,before that they need to learn how to keep the car runing and get it in shape so it can go make these dream numbers , lets be honest out of the 10k plus members only a hand full are realy intersted in trying to distroy their car on the road to some magic hp number , and i try to focus my time in aiding them keep their car runing or get it runing as it should so it can safly make decent power

i'l admit i have been slacking in that area the last couple years cause of personal health isues and for that i am sorry

i failded to help some one in need but why can't some one else take up the slack and help these guys with alt problems or no start problems after all you can make 450 hp so it'd be easy for you to do

take Indiana a memeber that has contributed as much or more to this site then i have , he was run off ( andhe is not the only one ) because every sugestion or post he made trying to help turned into a pissing contest with some one with a dyno sheet or nit picking a word he said ,

thats a great pay back for 1000's of hours spent trying to help those that needed help , those that DO NOT NEED help can ignore or not read any post that they do not agree on

I sure didn't mean to start a pissing match. I appreciate the help in every way. I'm not trying to build the fastest car in the world either. Just looking to slowly increase the performance of my car.

Yeah, I dont know where shelby is going. Basically saying he is right because he's old.

I agree with Ronnie. Know what your end goal is. Stair stepping is very costly.

For the average owner looking to put more oomph in his setup, a 16g td05h will fit the bill perfectly.

Yeah, I dont know where shelby is going. Basically saying he is right because he's old.

I agree with Ronnie. Know what your end goal is. Stair stepping is very costly.

For the average owner looking to put more oomph in his setup, a 16g td05h will fit the bill perfectly.

< For the average owner looking to put more oomph in his setup, a 16g td05h will fit the bill perfectly >

OMG you agree with me but you just had to take that little jab at me , i'm geting tired of it,,the next "one"

will get you a warning

I sure didn't mean to start a pissing match. I appreciate the help in every way. I'm not trying to build the fastest car in the world either. Just looking to slowly increase the performance of my car.

Dude, you can start a topic about marhsmallows and it becomes a pissing contest in this forum!

I said from the beginning that he should jump to a 16g td05h.

Your the one that thought this would prove something.

Ronnie try this if you do not beleave me,, pull the waste gate hose off and go boosting and see what will happen,

The only thing I initially tried to shine light on was the importance of the turbine wheel in achieving power goals. YOU are the one that wants to bold type.

Im sure you ignored it, but my first post was about comp wheels and turbine wheels. The second, I also recommended the 16g.

Your first post.....

for 1 thing a 20g is not a little turbo , even the small 05 turbine wheel will blow the head gasket right out from under the head , air flow estimates generaly used on them are made @15 lbs,, what they flow at 25+ is a big diff

I was ready to start laying out dyno sheets with supporting mods and specific turbo's used. Then you went into your everyone has a stock car or one that doesnt run rant.

phil my type changes each time i post ON IT'S OWN , some times i catch it's bold other times i let it go , half the time it has a line thru the words , it's a bug in the site soft ware don't go blameing me

and as for how your car runs great glad your happy , but not many of these guys would actualy drive it

any way thats as far as i'm going to go with this,, you keep it up oif you want to ,Dude i got nothing to have to prove to you

not one little thing , and dyno slips mean nothing to me , you can keep them by the TP in case you run out

This is why it's discouraging for newer members. Obviously phill has SQ experience as do you. I have turbo and fabrication experience yet you want to argue. We both are trying to get the facts out. Your comment is steering people away form a 20G because you say it will blow a head gasket. That's not the case.

Lets stop the I know more more than you and help the community progress. Hell everybody shot all my grand ideas of real performance parts but did I stop? I can honestly say I've offered the best power options made for this platform yet. I didn't know the car but know the production and quality portions. If I would have listened to your biased opinion I would have already sold my car for something else

Warning of a warning...come on now. Lets progress not stay in the dark ages

Edited by RonnieJ

and as for how your car runs great glad your happy , but not many of these guys would actualy drive it

Because they would be too scared :)

Gonna agree with Ronnie again. Its like N Korea here. Im suprised people dont get shanked for mentioning a MAFT in this place.

There are other people near the same fence as me that just dont say anything because they might get "warned". The reason you dont know they are there, is because they dont want you to.

Be happy, Im done with this thread.