Exhaust Manifold Troubles

hachi_destroyer

So I started hearing a funny noise coming from the passenger's side of the engine compartment and went under the hood to check it out. Turns out one of the exhaust manifold studs was not a stud... it was a bolt. The bolt had stripped the threads in the head and left a gap between the head and the manifold which is what I'm guessing was causing the noise. The bolt was pretty much undamaged but I ran it through a re-threader anyways and tried to tap the hole where there is supposed to be a stud. The bolt won't thread back into the hole anymore; it goes in finger tight and then when I stick a socket on and tighten it, it pops out again. Now I need help. My Starion is my daily driver and I need this fixed pronto.

Question 1: Why the f*** wasn't there a stud in there?

Question 2: Why didn't I realize that this was the only hole with a bolt in it earlier?

Question 3: How do I fix this? Continue doing it the wrong way and find longer bolt? Replace bolt with stud? Buy whole new head and do it right the first time around (not really an option right now)?

Question 4: Why the f*** wasn't there a stud in there?

Please help!

Picture of problem area:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/hairyboid4/Sweento/RalliartTurboC.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Harrison

1: There normally is a stud there, that stud fell out and someone just tried to use a bolt instead.

2: Because you didn't look?

3: The proper way to fix this (in my opinion) is to get a helicoil kit and install one in there. Found this on ebay: http://compare.ebay.com/like/390619221683?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

In the past I had multiple holes that were stripped out and i ended up helicoilling every one.

4: Not the end of the world...

What's with that over sized nut on cylinder 2?

3: The proper way to fix this (in my opinion) is to get a helicoil kit and install one in there. Found this on ebay: http://compare.ebay....mTypes&var=sbar

In the past I had multiple holes that were stripped out and i ended up helicoilling every one.

What's with that over sized nut on cylinder 2?

I actually almost bought one of those, I'm guessing it hasn't failed on you?

I don't know what's with that picture above, I just grabbed one off of the google, it's not from my car.

Thanks!

Needs to come off,,,, get it resurfaced,,,, Heli coil... new stud... and gasket...

True, to come off... check all your studs, try getting an exhaust stud/(kit) for a 2000' Ford F-150 V-8, (8mm same size, but a bit longer, will thread deeper) heli coil it, again true, you'll need to take off a few threads on the F-150 thread length on the exhaust mani side, a tad too long. (there's a post in B.S. section unless it was moved, posted by me, as I have a similar issue recently) GL ;)

I actually almost bought one of those, I'm guessing it hasn't failed on you?

I don't know what's with that picture above, I just grabbed one off of the google, it's not from my car.

Thanks!

That was back on my 87, many years ago. Before doing a helicoil along with cutting the webbing and resurfacing i was always fighting with leaks on the exhaust manifold along with studs/nuts coming out, after doing all that i was good with no issues. Wish i would have done it sooner.