modifying the stock intercooler

2fast2six

the owner before be had used the stock intercooler and custom modded it. he cut the stock piping flanges off at each side on the top of the intercooler and re tig welded on new 2.5" pipe flanges to fit the intake hard pipe kit. i wanted to build another one like this and was worried that where the intercooler "pinches" together along the finned sides to the solid sides if their was some sort of gasket there that will be ruined while tig welding on new flanges. anyone have any insight on this or are familiar with how the intercooler is sealed on the edges?? of if i can start cut and tigin' away!

the owner before be had used the stock intercooler and custom modded it. he cut the stock piping flanges off at each side on the top of the intercooler and re tig welded on new 2.5" pipe flanges to fit the intake hard pipe kit. i wanted to build another one like this and was worried that where the intercooler "pinches" together along the finned sides to the solid sides if their was some sort of gasket there that will be ruined while tig welding on new flanges. anyone have any insight on this or are familiar with how the intercooler is sealed on the edges?? of if i can start cut and tigin' away!

I have seen a few of the modded 2.25 inch one welded across the pinch and never heard of an issue. I Had one on my car for and it never leaked.

It was always my understanding that IC's were just aluminum. I don't believe there's any kind of gaskets in there. I could be completely wrong ... but I don't think so.