Recommended oil *brands*?

Fanta

Dang, no zinc in Delos 400. I use that stuff religiously in my diesel truck. On my StarQuest, I use Castrol 20-50. The cars I don't care for get the unknown name stuff or Chevron oil that I buy in bulk.

What's the big deal about zinc content anyways?

Ive always though of it like the lead in gas. The lead in gas formed a coating on valves / seats and cushioned the metal to metal. Zinc (really Phosphrus being the component that creates the protective coating) the zinc being more the transport / stabalizer.

Just get an ester oil and call it a day. They physicly alter the oil to be magnetic and stick to the metal parts of the motor.

O and if you are thinking of using a race oil.... know that it is not stable as it's meant to be run then changed, not to stay in the motor for long periods of time.

Edited by jszucs

On my StarQuest, I use Castrol 20-50.

;) One thing I can't understand is this: Members recommending Shell Rotella Motor oil. That crap has got to be the cheapest, most lousy motor oil you could buy. Farm and Fleet sells it,Tractor Supply Company sells it. High end Speed Shops don't........ So, in the end the decision is yours ;)

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Kendall Grade 70 is good also.....But the cost for a quart is astronomical. E-Bay, four quarts of Kendall GT-1 Grade 70.......$27.99 :o

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

rotella is also run in semi engines that have way more strain and load on them than you could ever put on your engine. These engines also run into the millions of miles.. thats got to say something about the oil.. im talking millions of miles of pure hell, extreme heat, extreme conditions.. day in and day out.

Kendall Grade 70 is good also.....But the cost for a quart is astronomical. E-Bay, four quarts of Kendall GT-1 Grade 70.......$27.99 :o

Bill

That's only 7 bucks a quart. That's not that bad, that's around normal synthetic prices..... Dude never own a Harley if you think 7 a quart is bad. The oil I run in my harley 50 weight 4 stroke is almost 14 a quart and my bike takes 4 1/2

Edited by jszucs

That's only 7 bucks a quart. That's not that bad, that's around normal synthetic prices..... Dude never own a Harley if you think 7 a quart is bad. The oil I run in my harley 50 weight 4 stroke is almost 14 a quart and my bike takes 4 1/2

I owned a Harley that I built from the ground up back in 1977 and used Kendall Grade 70 ;)

Bill

;) One thing I can't understand is this: Members recommending Shell Rotella Motor oil. That crap has got to be the cheapest, most lousy motor oil you could buy. Farm and Fleet sells it,Tractor Supply Company sells it. High end Speed Shops don't........ So, in the end the decision is yours ;)

Bill

Not saying you're wrong, but also my normal google-fu has come up with a lot of forums also recommending the Rotella as well.

I was surprised to find a lot of bad rap for Royal Purple too in my searching.

Rotella is more expensive than Delos 400 and it's sold everywhere for diesel application including Walmart. Can't possibly be that bad.

I consider switching my 15-40 to a different brand now seeing as how it seems that zinc maybe beneficial. I've put at least 100k miles on diesel truck just using Delos 400 15-40w.

Something I forgot to mention earlier. I was talking to a customer the other day who had formerly worked in the oil business, and he basically said to run screaming from any oil that wasn't put out by a major oil company as the major companies have first access to the better base stocks and such. I have no idea how accurate or up to date his information was, but it makes sense to me that that would be the case. Just throwing that out there.