another new starion

justin240

so i was looking around for a decent daily driver and came across a 87 starion for $700 natuarally, i went to look at it, clutch was almost gone but other than that it seemed fine so i pay the guy and drive it home, its a great looking car and i really like it but shes fighting me every step of the way

clutch change was so easy i did if from the floor with jackstands by myself in a day, afterwards the pedal needed readjusting, got in and drove it and it pulled hard no slipping, pull into the driveway and found that it had sprayed oil out the dipstick, so changed the pcv and no more oil spray but now its starting to overheat

shes becoming a project and i already have my 240sx track car so i dont need another project, are they constantly like this or will i stop having problems after a while? everyone i have asked about them says they are nightmares and like to catch on fire among other problems

is there a good place to source interior parts for these cars? almost all of the plactic interior pieces are broken and everything shakes and rattles to pieces cause there are no mounting tabs that are still in place

the ebrake doesnt work, at all, its extremely hard to pull up and it doesnt affect the brakes at all, is this common?

last thing, i have a picture atached of the engine bay, there is alot of stuff unplugged and alot of open vacuum ports, there is also 2 injectors in the intake pipe right next to the intake minifold, did these have secondary injectors like that? post-25329-0-50972300-1351643512_thumb.jpg

Edited by justin240

those are definitely additional injectors added to intercooler pipe. is there any additional electronics installed on the car to control them (usually a boost solenoid is added then a controller is used to adjsut how much fuel to add depending on the boost pressure)? Are there fuel lines to be attached to those extra injectors that we are not seeing?

I also noticed that you have a filter on the PCV - that is a no no - you need that pcv hooked to the intake like the factory.

Yes, these cars have issues but IMO not more issues than other cars of the same era and quite frankly, i like working on these motors more than others. If you have a little bit of mechanical ability, patience and use the search function you will be all set.

Yes, the general consensus on here is that the cars need a bit more attention and maintenance than some of the standard sporty cars people are into.

Those injectors in the OVCP (over valve cover pipe, I think) are not at all stock. I can't imagine that they help much, or even if they do, that they are safe.

Oh, and welcome, by the way! People here will definitely help you with questions. As NotStock points out, it's good to be patient and try to use the search function, but I have found people here to be helpful. Now, I'll stop spamming this thread! :D

ok there are no lines or electricals for the injectors in the pipe, im thinking that somone might have just put them there to plug the holes but im not sure thats why i asked about them, why does the pcv have to be hooked into the intake manifold on these? as soon as i disconected it and plugged the other side i had significantly less issue with oil spraying out of the dipstick, with it hooked up like stock everytime i opened the hood after hitting full boost the dipstick would be as far out as it could go with the hood in the way and oil sprayed all over the intake manifold, now it just pops out like a quarter inch

the stock gauge sucks and is NOT accurate!!!! Check craigslist for a mechanical boost gauge and hook it up for the real pressure measurement.

please take detailed pictures of what hoses are hooked to what. We need to clearly see what we are working with first. Look at the FAQ section for a full vacuum line diagram(elimination and oem). You will also thank me for this link ;)

www.starquestgarage.com

That intercooler pipe is familiar looking but its old school. Its an axillary injector setup, offered by Top End Performance. It utilized a boost sensor and a controller that would relay a signal to the injectors to add fuel under a specified boost level.

Edited by NotStock88

Welcome! And yes our cars take some attention, I DD mine and its not the best choice because I have to borrow family cars sometimes while I work on it.

the stock gauge sucks and is NOT accurate!!!! Check craigslist for a mechanical boost gauge and hook it up for the real pressure measurement.

please take detailed pictures of what hoses are hooked to what. We need to clearly see what we are working with first. Look at the FAQ section for a full vacuum line diagram(elimination and oem). You will also thank me for this link ;)

www.starquestgarage.com

That intercooler pipe is familiar looking but its old school. Its an axillary injector setup, offered by Top End Performance. It utilized a boost sensor and a controller that would relay a signal to the injectors to add fuel under a specified boost level.

Sounds like a good way to get some good HP out of TBI, why isnt this used by anyone on here?

Welcome, these cars aren't nightmares if you have patience and they don't blow up or catch fire if they are taken care of. Definately get that pcv valve hooked back up and go ahead and just take those 2 injectors out of the intercooler pipe and plug the holes. That was a half crap setup offered back in the day for people who didn't want to properly muliport swap their cars. Look in the parts for sale section for interior pieces, this is the most comprehensive place to find parts for the car.

Welcome to the site!!

I see you're from Hobo-town USA... lol... jk. I'm up in the Portland area.

No, these cars aren't a nightmare and don't catch fire. People who say that have not learned how to fix neglect by previous owners, or they're not skilled enough... eventually they blame their shortcomings on the cars, giving them a bad reputation. Any car will have a high potential of catching fire if there's a fuel leak... LOL... perhaps with these cars it's a Super Potential. The biggest problem with the cars is the low entry fee, attracting cheap and lazy people who don't know how to work on cars, who then ruin them and pass the car along in even worse shape and bad mouth them.

So with that said, fix all the issues and neglected maintenance with your car and it will be a very reliable machine.

-Robert

still cant post anywhere alse so i will just put up my question here, i started the starion today, let it warm up and went for a little drive, launched at a stoplight, ran all the way through first and then went into second, let off in second and went to 3rd to cruise, next light turns red so i push in the clutch to stop and the car dies, i try to start it and get nothing, a few seconds later i smell fuel and the car refuses to start and still wont, i was only a few blocks from home so i tow roped it home and its sat on the street for the last 2 hours (thinking maybe it flooded or something) still wont start, turns over just fine but will not fire up, it wont even try to