Throttle cable stuck!!!!

Lance_S

Woohooo. Happened about a week ago. First time ever. Surprised the crap out of me. Then it happened a few more times so I pulled one from a parts car and installed it. The old one did have a small kink in it.

I put the new (used) one in and greased it just for good measure.

Sure enough, that one is sticking as well.

Anyone have this happen to them? common on quests? wierd that happens on both cables. I will have to take a better look at the opening through the firewall and see if it's getting hung up some.

Lance

Normal ground strap goes bad, the only remaining engine ground is the throttle cable. Only takes a bit of current to start corrosion which quickly leads to a sticky throttle cable. Fix the ground.

have you been using cruise control?

that caused a sticking cable issue with me once... (well, more of a sticking pedal). One of the cables got cocked weird on the pedal and even after shutting off cruise it would hang until i lifted with my toe.

No, I don't have cruise and I doubt it's corrosion. I used the same cable for the last 20k miles , there wasn't any corrosion

On the old one. The one I just relplaced it with didn't have corrosion on it either and it stuck right out of the gate. Its a physical snag. I will tear it apart tomorrow.

it happened to me before, have your car parked and push the gas al the way down and then take your foot off and feel with your hand if there’s and play with the peddle if so, the fix is there’s a clamp/ bracket that holds the A/C hose away from the throttle body and it bots below it to, look and see if the bolt is in there tight. When I got mine I had no bolt there and my throttle stuck half way till I hit a bump to pop it back up. Hope this helps

I also had the ground strap problem abought 5 or 6 years ago mine wouldn't corrode the cable would get hot from the current running through it and would melt the plastic liner of the cable and it would stick

lance,,,, you sure its the cable and not the pedal or tb butterfly..... perhaps a wire or vac line get in the way time to time??

I will check it again today buddy thank you. There was a kink in the old cable so I thought it was that. But you might be right maybe it's on the throttlebody. I didn't manually throw the throttlebody many times and there didn't seem to be any problems. And when I replaced the cable I checked the foot pedal as well and it seem to work fine but I will have to go through it again. I was cruising through town yesterday and a cop was parked in the middle of town. 200 feet before I passed him my throttle stuck. The car started jerking because I was slamming throttle to try to keep it to work. I can't believe he didn't pull me over.