1982 Starion Build

ZacMan

It's from a GSR-V narrowbody starion. They were only released in Japan, and had the 2.0L motor with a 12V head (known as the DASH head, for Dual Action Super Head) with variable valve geometry. They had four exhaust valves, and eight intake valves, of two different sizes. The larger intake valves were only enabled above a certain RPM point, so they didn't destroy the low down torque. As far as I know, this was the first variable valve geometry setup used in a production performance automobile, and certainly predates VTEC.

There were also approximately 50 widebody starions produced in Japan that used this engine, with the chassis code A184A. Super rare and collectable though.

This dash is from a GSR-V, as the engines produced peak power (around 200HP) higher in the rev range.

I've also got one of the heads, but they're a bit of a prick to do a decent MPI setup on, as the eight intake ports are completely separate. This means you either mount the injector far away from the port, and split the runner after the injector (introduces heaps of transients and make getting crisp throttle response pretty tricky). Or you build a manifold with 8 runners, and supply all the fuel through the smaller valves, or use 8 injectors, staging the second set to turn on when the valves are actuated.

I've also seen one of the heads modified to replace the switchable valve actuation system with standard rockers, so the extra 4 valves are used all the time. Made pretty good power, 300HP at the wheels on around 18psi of boost.

Are they fitted to the later model astrons, that have the MPI intake manifold with the much longer runners?

If so, they're not hard to find over here, but shipping would surely make it pretty spendy.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi friends, I have a 2.0 Turbo ECI is the year 85 and I have problems with the electrical system. I think there is an error in the ignition key and / or the connections of the coil, because the engine starts, but the starter motor continues to rotate. I need the electrical diagram, does anyone have the wiring diagram for that engine? Thank you all.post-26689-0-54553100-1407104641_thumb.jpg Edited by perferan

• 5 weeks later...

G'day Colin. I can't sorry, we had to move out of our house for earthquake repairs (big earthquake here a few years back, our house is finally getting fixed, yay!) so the Starion and all associated parts had to be put into storage :-(. You should be able to find plenty of pics on the google-a-tron though?

They're a cool head, and a cool idea. Pain in the tail to do a decent MPI setup on though, as the two intake ports for each cylinder are completely separate.... Makes supplying the fuel always a compromise.