88 TSi misses and sputters at boost

devillos

OK....those betting on the injectors being bad.....we lost!! I sent the injectors off to WitchHunter and just got them back. I could hardly stand it while putting it together because I KNEW that was gonna be the problem. It wasn't Same exact symptoms as before.

Now I am lost and have no idea. I don;t have the $$ just to parts swap. Repplaced or fixed parts are now: Fuel pump, Fuel Filter, Plugs, Wires, injectors serviced, distributor cap.

I love the car and want to keep it but this is getting crazy. Can anyone help?

Edited by devillos

Back to what I said, the grease in the distributer can be bad and there will still be "movement", but its too slow. With good grease the motion will be snappy. When you break vaccum during the "suck test", you should be able to hear the innards clang back into place.

Back to what I said, the grease in the distributer can be bad and there will still be "movement", but its too slow. With good grease the motion will be snappy. When you break vaccum during the "suck test", you should be able to hear the innards clang back into place.

^^^^+1

Also replace injector clips, cheap insurance.

Getting ready to tear apart the Dist and clean it out really good. I am also gonig to replace the injector clips, just to eliminate that from a possibility. Thanks for the tips guys, if you think of something else, let me know. It feels like I am chasing a ghost. Edited by devillos

No Problem Starwolf.....I lostthe bet too. I figured WTH, couldn't be a bad thing to make sure the injectors work like they should.

I think I may be on to something. On a whim, I decided to change out the new fuel filter for another new fuel filter and now it will run but there is bad sputtering at around 4K rpm. But if you let it come up slowly, the sputtering doesn't happen. I am still going to rebuild the Distributor and see what happens.

Also, on the test drive it died on me. I put a fuse in line where the wires comes off the battery down to the connection box. That fuse blew not allowing it to charge. I jumped it and put a bridge across the fuse since I was only 1/2 mile from the house. By the time I got home, the coatong on the wire had begun to melt.

What makes this thing over charge or whatever it's doing. Never did that before.

That is the main fuselink. It connects the battery and alternator and its job is to prevent a fire if the alternator shorts out somehow. If your battery is really low, the alternator will charge at full power, so all that 60+ amps could flow through that fuse. How big of a fuse did you use? I'd suggest going back to a fuselink wire, it can be found at the auto parts store in bulk.

If you have an aftermarket alternator with more amps, you need to upgrade the fuselink to match.

Initially I had a 30 AMP fuse in line. I didn't realize as much as 60A flows through there. I replaced the fuse with fusible link wire. Hopefully that wll do the trick.

As far as the sputter issue, I cleaned the disributor really good, put in some nice lite, waterproof grease, put it back together, and made sure the pulugs were gapped at .034......... it still does the same thing. One thing I dod notice was that when it is sputtering, there is grey/black smoke coming out of the back. When I put a boost guage on it, it boosts to 10 lbs and starts the sputtering.

ARRRGGG!!!!!!!!

Edited by devillos

any change done to the dist timeing MUST be when useing a timeing light NEVER go by feel or by how the engine runs ,

what sfeels better may burn up your pistons under boost

also when ever you are working on an idle problem unplug the sec inj clip,, if the engine still runs the clips are on the right inj , placeing the pri clip on the sec inj will make the engine run but it'l be super rich,, and when you hit boost the engine will lean oput so much it may sputter and not perform properly due to not haveing enought fuel

small tip inj goes to drivers side of the inj houseing large one to valve cover side

an bad coolant temp sensor can cause all sorts of runing problems as the ECU will default to a super rich fuell mix at all times

testing each part of the fuel control system can be done in short order but always do a complete test on the device , and skiping this or that part can lead to frustrateing results don't asume any sensor is in proper working order and replace no part that does not fail a test

? hose above the coolant sensor ? wrong sensor that is the dash temp gauge sensor , it has nothing to do with the ecu and engine temps ,,the CTS is on the intake right near the bolt that holds the dip stick mount , no hoses above it

hey take your injector lead off the green inj. Is it the factory plug? even if so take some needle nose or small pick or such and make them small spade terminals where they will have to fit the inj really really tight.

I just got my 87 engine dropped in my 89 and it would run till the boost gauge reached 0 or so and then it would fall on its face. Well I had the inj leads backwards I switched them and it wouldn't even start. Telling me the leads were bad. I tested it though but I got a different story. I just bent the spade terminals and voila! Its done fine for 3 weeks now. Although I'm still gonna switch out the leads for some new ones.

So just because your leads have power doesn't mean that its getting to your injector!!!!