Barn Find 1988 Quest TSI 18,500miles

Cant even imagine the issues this car would have from sitting,,, mine sits for a winter and needs love

Mine sat for 10 years and it cost me about $4k to get it up and running. Probably about $1200 of that didnt need to be done, but I went ahead and had it done anyway.

The biggest issue was that the brakes were locked, pretty much all the seals and that were good.

Also, if the person that "barned" this was smart, they topped it off with oil. However, based on those pictures I dont believe that car has been sitting in that barn for more then 2 maybe 3 years.

talked to this guy for a hour or so on the phone hes selling it for a engineer for chrysler thats 60 some years old and owned it since new

Did it sound like english was his first language? In my quest to get my 16 year old a car I spoke with many people that were selling cars for X person. Many were curb-stoning and all the others were scamming and not a single one had english as their first language.

You guys are some critical haters. :) Though I laugh at the asking price and think the dude in on crack when it comes to that, beyond that you cant tell crap about the shape of the car from the pictures. It is dirty and could be absolutely flawless beyond that, as it appears to be from what I saw. 2nd, I highly question how long the car has been sitting based on some physical evidence from the pictures and I doubt it has been sitting there for more than a couple years, if that.

So as far as reconditioning it goes, you simply can't assume anything. The biggest single expense I had after having my car garaged for 10 years was replacing the tires because they developed flat spots. Next would be the brakes being that they bound up. But beyond those I paid a lot of money to have things looked at that ended up being perfectly fine (fuel system included). The only thing I had to replace in the fuel system were the filters, all other things were fine after a little cleaning. Not that I wouldnt have those same things checked again for a car, but after inspecting it and checking the fuel system it would be on a determined need instead of a blanket list as it was before.

You would hope for the price he's asking he at least had it looked over. But considering he wasnt even smart enough to wash it first, you never know. I guess having pictures of it dirty in a barn was suppose to up the value some how.

Edited by Skippy

yeah, but this is not chasing classic cars with Wayne Carini, he would not even look at it. Besides a few niche buyers who are always going to be in the 5-10 grand range or less for most. This guy is pissing in the wind. It would take a lot of money, I know since I restored a 92 NX2000 with 32 thousand original miles that would never be recouped. I mean look at it like this would you rather have this or something for 5 grand that has lots of stuff replaced and is a daily driver but has a 100,000+ miles on it? I would go with the daily driver. Lets say you buy this car, fix it up and have 20 grand in it. The most anyone on the interwebz has ever paid for a presitine Conquest is 16 grand and that is some rich dum arsh who tried dumping it for 10-12 grand on autotrader a few years ago and never got it. These cars are cool old somewhat classic Jap cars but are not rare nor fast enough from the factory to warrant STI or Supra money. While I think the guy has a nice car and it would be a nice project. 14 grand buys a lot of nicer, faster and better cars in todays economy than some star struck moron willing to give that for an old Conquest. In 1990 I almost bought a 2 year old Conquest for 5 grand and it had 50 thousand miles on it and was show room new. This car is a 5 - 7 grand car IMO that would need another 5 grand in it for it to sell at 10-12 which it might could do. Not enough profit in it to make it worth it. Too many other better options out there for the price. Edited by WRBSTI1

Did it sound like english was his first language? In my quest to get my 16 year old a car I spoke with many people that were selling cars for X person. Many were curb-stoning and all the others were scamming and not a single one had english as their first language.

You guys are some critical haters. :) Though I laugh at the asking price and think the dude in on crack when it comes to that, beyond that you cant tell crap about the shape of the car from the pictures. It is dirty and could be absolutely flawless beyond that, as it appears to be from what I saw. 2nd, I highly question how long the car has been sitting based on some physical evidence from the pictures and I doubt it has been sitting there for more than a couple years, if that.

So as far as reconditioning it goes, you simply can't assume anything. The biggest single expense I had after having my car garaged for 10 years was replacing the tires because they developed flat spots. Next would be the brakes being that they bound up. But beyond those I paid a lot of money to have things looked at that ended up being perfectly fine (fuel system included). The only thing I had to replace in the fuel system were the filters, all other things were fine after a little cleaning. Not that I wouldnt have those same things checked again for a car, but after inspecting it and checking the fuel system it would be on a determined need instead of a blanket list as it was before.

You would hope for the price he's asking he at least had it looked over. But considering he wasnt even smart enough to wash it first, you never know. I guess having pictures of it dirty in a barn was suppose to up the value some how.

yea he spoke english he actually was a really kewl guy and knew a bunch about cars just not sq's and like i said hes selling it for another man soo he didnt set the price the owner did

yeah, but this is not chasing classic cars with Wayne Carini, he would not even look at it. Besides a few niche buyers who are always going to be in the 5-10 grand range or less for most. This guy is pissing in the wind. It would take a lot of money, I know since I restored a 92 NX2000 with 32 thousand original miles that would never be recouped. I mean look at it like this would you rather have this or something for 5 grand that has lots of stuff replaced and is a daily driver but has a 100,000+ miles on it? I would go with the daily driver. Lets say you buy this car, fix it up and have 20 grand in it. The most anyone on the interwebz has ever paid for a presitine Conquest is 16 grand and that is some rich dum arsh who tried dumping it for 10-12 grand on autotrader a few years ago and never got it. These cars are cool old somewhat classic Jap cars but are not rare nor fast enough from the factory to warrant STI or Supra money. While I think the guy has a nice car and it would be a nice project. 14 grand buys a lot of nicer, faster and better cars in todays economy than some star struck moron willing to give that for an old Conquest. In 1990 I almost bought a 2 year old Conquest for 5 grand and it had 50 thousand miles on it and was show room new. This car is a 5 - 7 grand car IMO that would need another 5 grand in it for it to sell at 10-12 which it might could do. Not enough profit in it to make it worth it. Too many other better options out there for the price.

A girl I was dating in college had an NX2000...I loved that car. About as hard to find as SQ's!

A girl I was dating in college had an NX2000...I loved that car. About as hard to find as SQ's!

Finding a SQ is actually easier than finding a NX2k for at least one in good condition. Chrylser and Mitsubishi imported 10s of thousands of Conquests over the years of its run. Nissan brought the NX2k here for 2 or 3 years for about 2-3 thousand models per year (1600 and 2000). So that makes less than 4 or 5 thousand total NXs in the USA during its run and of that probably less than 2 thousand are in existance on the road today.

I'd LOVE to have this Fiji, that's what I'm striving for with the one I have now..but with my luck, I'd go into debt to own it only to have 2 Quests that run like poop! :)

Like my father-in-law says..."I'd buy 2 of those, one to crap on and the other to cover it up with!" :)

-N8

You should never go in debt for a hobby or hobbyist car. IMHO, that is very poor money management. If you arent laying down cash for things you are doing for this car I think you should reevaluate your priorities.

Cars like these you can spend $25k getting to run great with lots of power and a showroom sparkle only to then wreck it the next day and have the insurance total it and cut you a $2000 check (if you are lucky).

You should never go in debt for a hobby or hobbyist car. IMHO, that is very poor money management. If you arent laying down cash for things you are doing for this car I think you should reevaluate your priorities.

Cars like these you can spend $25k getting to run great with lots of power and a showroom sparkle only to then wreck it the next day and have the insurance total it and cut you a $2000 check (if you are lucky).

Welcome to the car hobby. Almost never do you get return for modifications/upgrades.

Thats true of any car, house or anything you spend your own money on.

insurance are crooks.

the insurance quoter may be an old school mopar guy, but if youve got a fully restored challenger you can bet your behind they wont cut you a check for 60grand.

more like the low end KBB value.

Once upon a time... I had a 68' SS Camaro that I rebuilt/restored for my wife (I think she was then, all a blurr now; cept for the car) Absolutely beautiful, factory blk interior, shoulder belts had never been down. Bunch of other great details, LadeeDa, LadeeDa. Had it in the paper for sale, tons of calls, people coming out to see it. All "No Shows" that Sunday. Went out in the morning to get in my 77' Z28 & head oof to work. Passed by the SS... looked a bit strange... looked/focused, hanging from my slightly raised hood was my bright shinny chain & padlock... w/ the front clip missing! WHOA! Someone did come to take more than a look @ it that night! I had it insured as a classic restored hot rod vehicle, not mentioning the custom trans & totally rebuilt engine fully dressed out. The insurance adjuster came out ( G_ _ _O) wanted to total the vehicle for $780? The interior alone was worth $2500. Took me 6 months of "arbitration" (fine print in policy) to get this money. Argued it wasn't a classic look SS w/ the traction bars & Superior five spoke chrome wheels. Gotta love those insurance companies... didn't mind my extra charge for insuring it, until it came time for a claim. (the only claim I had w/ it) Sold it! (Like many of my old hot rod?/classic?... wish I had them now! Unlike the wife, I think it was?) :o Edited by kidjc

• 2 weeks later...
They guy keeps calling me back, I keep tellin him he is about 13500 shy of what I want to spend on a project. He wants me to make an appointment to see it. Yesterday he told me it had sidepipes! and had Carroll shelby parts installed on it by the dealer? and had every other shelby part that could be put on a conquest including a Shelby dash plaque!?!?! I think he has this confused with a DAYTONA?? He was firn in his statement that it had these Shelby upgrades.....HMMMMMMMM Edited by mtaylor530