Mega Squirt?

infamos

Does Mega Squirt really make a difference in HP?

I just bought a 1989 MPI Conquest in Palermo Gray and will be picking it up in a couple of weeks.

It was either this one or another. The other was a Florida car, 1987 Atlantic Blue MPI, clean interior, Mega Squirt, large intercooler, clean aftermarket wheels and the paint was good. The 1989 is a Washington car, has an 83 Hood, non-shp wheels, a professional rebuilt racing motor from Top End performance, good interior except for the front seat bolsters, huge intercooler, rust free and the paint is good. The blue one was waaaayyyy too high in price ($7800). The 1989 was just right for a modded SQ ($4500).

The only differences are the Mega Squirt, year of car, color and wheels.

I was just wondering if I made the right choice.

Edited by infamos

mega squirt is just engine management (the computer that runs the fuel/ timing on the engine). It enables the user to tune the car by adjusting the timing and fuel delivery (usually in our case to accomodate more boost).

That being said mega squirt wont gain you any HP. Its the person who sets it up and tunes it.

mega squirt (or other more expensive forms of engine management) is essential for running multiport fuel injection(MPI) because the stock computer wont run it.

so i guess the point is. MPI makes the power difference by delivering more fuel to accomodate more boost.... mega squirt just runs the multiport injection

Edited by Frenchi934

most likely, if your car is MPI its running megasquirt and has already been tuned. (Unless someone spent big money on another engine management system)

if it runs well than you got a good deal

7800 is wayyy more than id pay for a conquest. ill have my ls1 swap done for less than that.

most likely, if your car is MPI its running megasquirt and has already been tuned. (Unless someone spent big money on another engine management system)

if it runs well than you got a good deal

7800 is wayyy more than id pay for a conquest. ill have my ls1 swap done for less than that.

I agree. Actually he was originally asking 8900 for the 87. I was told that the Quest I bought runs good and it will make it to Colorado.

I actually test drove the WA car about a month ago... Nice ride. Engine bay is clean and the 20g pulls pretty good. I got the impression that the seller hadn't taken the car to the dyno or done much tuning on it so I think you could squeeze out some pretty good numbers with a little tuning.... but it runs and drives just fine as it is now.

don't quote me on this but your "Top End Performance racing motor', is prob just a stock rebuild with some glitter or some s*** sprinkled on top.

Here is the package details:

Stage-3 Engine: $4300

Full-Tilt street and drag race engine. For T3/T4 and NOS. Your choice of compression ratio and bore size. JE pistons, Total-Seals, race prepped rods, Race prepped crank, New head casting, Race Ported and polished, Steel Shim Head Gasket, Racing Camshaft and dual valve spring upgrades, ARP head studs and rod bolts, Lightened flywheel, Balance shaft eliminator. Balanced and blueprinted. All new timing components and high volume oil pump. Assembled valve cover to oil pan.

Here is the package details:

Stage-3 Engine: $4300

Full-Tilt street and drag race engine. For T3/T4 and NOS. Your choice of compression ratio and bore size. JE pistons, Total-Seals, race prepped rods, Race prepped crank, New head casting, Race Ported and polished, Steel Shim Head Gasket, Racing Camshaft and dual valve spring upgrades, ARP head studs and rod bolts, Lightened flywheel, Balance shaft eliminator. Balanced and blueprinted. All new timing components and high volume oil pump. Assembled valve cover to oil pan.

oh look High Volume oil pump!

trust me dood, someone got suckered hard on that.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

This time I thought I would try getting an SQ already modified. Hopefully this will save me time and money since I'm fairly new to the turbo world. I have a couple stock SQs and I thought how much money it would cost me to get to this point.

I know of a person who bought a stage 4 Tep motor with a knife edged crank and H-beam rods and when get got the motor the oil pan was dented in shipping and when he pulled the pan off of it to fix it he found a poorly rebuilt stock motor. He proceeded to call Tep and they accused him of swapping out of the parts for stock parts and because he removed the oil pan there was nothing they could do.

Did you pick it up yet? If not, it'd be cool to meet up and bs

I haven't picked it up yet. I fly out on April 2 and arrive in the morning. I would love to meet up but I will have 1200 miles ahead of me, so I won't have time to visit. Possibly you can make it to the Nevada meet in 2013. I plan on making it. Thanks...

I know of a person who bought a stage 4 Tep motor with a knife edged crank and H-beam rods and when get got the motor the oil pan was dented in shipping and when he pulled the pan off of it to fix it he found a poorly rebuilt stock motor. He proceeded to call Tep and they accused him of swapping out of the parts for stock parts and because he removed the oil pan there was nothing they could do.

Thanks for the info. The motor is no longer under warranty. When I drive it back I will have my speed shop take a look and it, do a compression test, dyno it to the maximum hp and detail the motor. This is at least a good starting point.