Help me make a checklist! Engine swap coming soon

Coming soon to a engine bay near you.

I'm buying a short block, going to swap my head over. I need to make a check list of everything so I don't forget.

New injectors + oring

new fuel filter

new throttle body rebuild kit

new coolant temp sensor

short block

headgasket kit

using my old head and headstuds which don't have many miles on them.

Replace brittle cracked,/broke tail vacuum lines

Rebuild throttle body

Remove egr crap (link on how to)

Coolant and oil change.

Scrub engine bay clean

same clutch/flywheel

order new flywheel bolts

After it's running: (in no particular order)

gm maf install

hard pipes

bigger turbo

rotors/pads

suspension

paint job

I have never pulled one of these before and never did a TBI car so I'm a little nervous. Don't want to pull it out and find out I can't figure out where a stupid vacuum line or bolt or plug goes so I want to make a check list and make sure i got it down right in my mind and on paper before I begin.

Where are good places to lift the engine from? I don't remember seeing any lift points on the motor. Do you have to get under the car to remove anything? I've only pulled fwd/awd cars.

When the motor is out should I do anything else in the bay? Anything with the power steering?

I would go with ARP studs anyway best 100 dollars I ever spent. Take pictures of all the vaccum lines and the engine bay. Label everything you can. Atleast replace the exahaust valve seals those get hard and brittle. Dont get the headgasket kit, get the Felpro Permatorque headgasket which is a diff one then what comes in the kit. Also the felpro exhaust gasket is poo, get one from DAD. You are also not gonna want to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds if you do, you will need to order new studs and bolts. Also get metal collar clips for hoses and replace as many spring clips as you can. Maybe do a balance shaft delete. Also you are going to want to flush the coolant not just change it. Do an ABS delete while you have room to work. Get rid of the charcoal canister under the intake.

I'd reuse the Mitsu head bolts too.

Unless this is a new short block, I'd replace every engine coolant hose shown on FSM page 7-22.

Remove & throughly flush out the engine oil cooler and it's oil supply and return lines with diesel fuel or kerosene. Ya might want to also replace the "rubber" jumper lines with new cuz they are known to leak. You'll need to replace the oil lines'4 special washer seals - Mitsu PN MB033054.

Ya might want to remove the PS system HP hose assembly and have the hose replaced, while still using the hose fittings, if it's still the original factory one. This is because it's darn near impossible to remove it with the engine in the engine hose if it starts weeping ATF.

Unless the engine mounts have been recently replaced with new ones I'd replace 'em. I'd also check the tranny rear mount for cracking in the rubber too.

Check and if needed clean out the turbo coolant lines banjo bolts.

You might also want to completely disassemble and clean out the dizzy. It probably still has the crusty factory grease inside of it.

Check the FI injector clips for a tight fit to the injector and if the metal male & female terminals are clean.

Also label everything you disconnect from the engine so you know what goes where when you are installing 'em after you drop in the new short block.

Check the "rubber" vacuum tubing going to the brake booster from the intake manifold runner for cracks holes or degradation. It's notorious for dry rotting from engine heat.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Any links on how to remove the canister, egr, and abs?

Why do you want to remove:

EGR - the engine will idle like crap when you first start it and shes cold if you remove it.

ABS - if it's working leave it in.

For removing this stuff, down load the FSM and start reading it. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I would go with ARP studs anyway best 100 dollars I ever spent.

If you're talking about this motor, that's the worst 100 dollars you ever spent cause they are not needed if you have OEM bolts. You can use those over and over and over again.

ARP makes bolt for engine with bolts that stretch and are to be used only once and for those motor with small diameter fasteners that were on non turbo motors people put turbos on that need decent bolts. We already HAVE very good reuseagle head and main cap bolts.

Ya might want to remove the PS system HP hose assembly and have the hose replaced,

Yes and they are inexpensive at parts stores, they are down to $20-25. The reason is that they are flared tubes and people overtighten the fitting at the pump then tighten again to stop them leaking and the ends crack, the tube blows out and so does all the fluid. Every time that's removed unless it seats back exactly the same way it will have to be mashed enough so it won't leak and its just a piece of tin tubing with the end folded over. They NEED a reinforcement bracket from the pump to just above at the line to stop vibrations from causing them so much stress.