Loud Fuel Pump After Long Trip?

turbojew

Anyone else have this issue? I drove about 70 miles and when I arrived I was letting the car idle and cool for a minute or 2 and I could hear the fuel pump buzzing away. It was replaced at a shop by PO along with all filters. Is this normal or should i check it out? Its happened since Ive owned the car but i never remember to post about it. ALSO The tank was empty and I know pumps use the fuel to cool them, This could of been the culprit to.

It could be a non OEM pump and they put that cone thing back in and its blocking most of the flow. Those cone filters only work with OEM and a couple aftermarket but not all of them. Squeeze the inlet hose to the pump, you shouldn't feel anything inside of it. Some will try and reuse that cone filter and point it out into the hose and that restricts flow.

I have receipts for all the new filters (including strainer). PO was Original owner and had car dealer serviced first 50k and didnt cheap out on anything. Legit have the work order stating all of his steps. And If I had restricted Fuel pump flow I would DEFINKITELY notice it my car drives 100%

Id really suggest checking with your own eyes just for simple safety sake. It will at least narrow things down for you, can you imagine if that's what it end up being but because you assumed early on it wasn't you just chase your tail.

Allen

You can't change the pump through that hole, you can only look at it and if you have small hands you might be able to reach in and squeeze the inlet hose and make sure that cone is pointed the right direction. If you feel it in the hose then its pointed in the wrong direction because it goes inside the pump inlet tube and it only fits pumps with a large tube inlet and not all pumps can make use of it. The OEM pump came with this cone filter already stuck in the inlet tube. You couldn't ever get separate pump parts only this entire assembly as shown. People have changed the pump through that hole but you have to cut it open twice the size to do it then make a larger cover plate. There's a plastic cover over the pump too that at this point may be gone. I really doubt they found this pump assembly I thought they were all gone long ago.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM002874.JPG

Edited by Indiana

The replacement pump is most likely a 'Master' brand pump. Probably a Master e8000. This is what advance auto, autozone, pep boys, etc stock as the replacement pump for our cars. They are known for this. They are not very well made. Make sure that cone filter isn't in in the inlet, as mentioned above.

These pumps overheat after awhile of driving...more noticably if it is warmer outside and if your fuel level is low. In my experience, you won't feel any seat of the pants performance loss with the master pump starting to overheat...but you are running a fine line of leaning her out in boost. I had to put three pumps in my last conquest to get one that wouldn't do what you described. I should have bit the bullet and went with a different brand, but I kept exchanging them under warranty.

Kevin