89Steve's MPI Build

After many months of preparation I've finally starting getting into my MPI project. My goals are as follows:

* 300-350 Reliable WHP

* Comfortable DD/Weekend car

* No ABS, No AC

* All around fun street car that can hold its own at the track and around a turn

I have a lot of work done to the car and it's been running for about 4 years now in close to stock form. I love this car, but it's time for TBI to go. This is going to be a pretty slow build cause I'm finishing up my senior year as an ME student and am an officer in FSAE. The build will progress as quickly as time allows and I want to use this forum to document progress (keeps me motivated :-) )

The first step is going to be painting the engine bay. I'll never be satisfied with this project if the engine bay continues to look terrible. I'm thinking about painting it black, it's a white car. Any thoughts?

Also I have a few questions off the bat here as far as what can be eliminated and what can't. The plan is to use MS2/3 and a coil-pack/EDIS setup for ignition.

1. Can anything be eliminated from the relay tree below or does this not have anything to do with EFI?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/steve7672/c367be0f.jpg

2. Does anyone know the use/purpose of this relay?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/steve7672/ab4554a8.jpg

3. As far as the factory EFI harness goes, I'm ok to cut that right off correct? It seems that I won't have to reuse any of this

I will keep this thread updated as my (probably slow) progress comes along!

Edited by 89Steve

Some engine de-greaser and a little elbow grease can make the engine bay look much better, especially on a white car. I know, Phinko shamed me into cleaning mine after a meet once, it went surprisingly well. I wouldn't paint it black, but that's me. The first picture of relays pretty much all have to do with A/C so it sounds as if all of those can go. Get an FSM, online at http://www.starquestgarage.com. The second picture I can't recall at the moment what that relay does, I just remember that I wanted it after I found out what it did and cleaned all of that up to keep it working well. Check out my vendor forum over at 26liter and you can see many MS options with ignition stuff, I do have COP that I run on my MPI available. Nothing smoother I've found. ABS can go for sure but also realize the rear calipers are likely in need of maintenance that gets blamed on the ABS system, if they haven't been rebuilt put that on your list.

Scott

that second picture is your passing relay. A lot of important functions pass through this relay. Don't remove it. ie: pop ups, head lights, fog lights, theft alarm system, just to name a few.

Also don;t just go and cut the main harness. You need to figure out what your not going to be using. And what needs to stay by examining the service manual link posted above. Alot of things run through alot of the wiring harness. Again. Just don't start butchering the harness. After My MPI install I kept all of the stock harness. I have yet found time to eliminate what I didn't need.

as for the abs and the a/c delete. does your a/c not work? are you sure you don't want it if it does? I installed my MPI and kept both my a/c and abs. Even though the clutch magnet on my compressor is bad. I'll eventually get around to fixing it.

Edited by 87quest_stv

Some engine de-greaser and a little elbow grease can make the engine bay look much better, especially on a white car. I know, Phinko shamed me into cleaning mine after a meet once, it went surprisingly well. I wouldn't paint it black, but that's me. The first picture of relays pretty much all have to do with A/C so it sounds as if all of those can go. Get an FSM, online at http://www.starquestgarage.com. The second picture I can't recall at the moment what that relay does, I just remember that I wanted it after I found out what it did and cleaned all of that up to keep it working well. Check out my vendor forum over at 26liter and you can see many MS options with ignition stuff, I do have COP that I run on my MPI available. Nothing smoother I've found. ABS can go for sure but also realize the rear calipers are likely in need of maintenance that gets blamed on the ABS system, if they haven't been rebuilt put that on your list.

Scott

It looks like they are all AC relays so I'm going to do away with that tree. Looks terrible for something I won't be using. I like that COP setup you have there. What is the controller used for? Is that an ignition computer?

Also rear calipers were rebuilt a couple years back so they should be good. I remember speaking with you a couple times Scott. You helped my roommate Ethan out a lot when he was trying to troubleshoot his car. I don't know if he told you but he actually got it running pretty well.

that second picture is your passing relay. A lot of important functions pass through this relay. Don't remove it. ie: pop ups, head lights, fog lights, theft alarm system, just to name a few.

Also don;t just go and cut the main harness. You need to figure out what your not going to be using. And what needs to stay by examining the service manual link posted above. Alot of things run through alot of the wiring harness. Again. Just don't start butchering the harness. After My MPI install I kept all of the stock harness. I have yet found time to eliminate what I didn't need.

as for the abs and the a/c delete. does your a/c not work? are you sure you don't want it if it does? I installed my MPI and kept both my a/c and abs. Even though the clutch magnet on my compressor is bad. I'll eventually get around to fixing it.

AC isn't necessary to me. It's never worked and I don't really mind it except maybe 5 days out of the year. Then I just ride my bike. I can out-brake the ABS in this car and the system is really heavy. I have no problem doing away with it. Thanks for the info on the passing relay, looks like that will stay