Rebuild CV axles?

Lance_S

John what do they charge? CVSource just got back to me and they said $105 each is to remanufacture the entire axle shaft, replacing any worn parts as needed. Sounds like a pretty good deal. They have 26 years of experience.

It was 150 each the last time I asked.

I had gone to O'Reileys auto parts to buy new axles. They were the only people to even list them. AutoZone and Advance didnt list them. The axles were special order but when I received them they were wrong. The bolt pattern and spindle was correct. The issue was the bolt holes that mount to the hub. They were off by .025mm or something like that. I tried the axles on either side and same issue. I ended up getting a CV boot and grease kit then rebuilt them myself for 1/4 the cost of the replacement axle.

• 1 month later...

Did you ask them to define rebuilding?

All the dealerships and shops I've worked at "rebuild" them via installing new boots and grease, no joint parts

Most shops grind the bearing grooves in the race and in the housing. Nearly every rebuilt c/v axle that you buy is "rebuilt" this way.

http://www.cvunlimited.com/remananaxle.htm

• 1 year later...

FYI..the inner Birfield joint can be taken apart...just need to pop it off with some force....a snap ring holds it on...just like the one that is on the end of the splines that go into the pumpkin.

This is a toyota one...but is the same design.

Edited by Laodicea