LS1 Swap

Scotty Dont

Well last night I got some things done. I decided to install the stock cam because I was unsure on what cam to use <_< too many to choose from :wacko: The timing chain, oil pump, timing cover, windage tray, and pickup tube are on. Today I will be able to install the rear main seal and cover as well as the oil pan, valley pan and knock sensor. The heads will have to wait until I get my head studs/chromoly pushrods /underdrive pulley from summit. :) :) :) :) :)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/396798_336649599692530_100000424796961_1186563_915983052_n.jpg

Be careful with the summit brand pulley. There have been many reports about them splitting apart on Corvette Forum.

Be careful with the summit brand pulley. There have been many reports about them splitting apart on Corvette Forum.

Im just buying those parts from summit, not getting the summit brand stuff. I like the ATI pulley but will probably settle for the slp/powerband pulley.

That's going to be a nice f'ing engine when your done.. Makes me want to tear mine down and build it....

Thanks, the mods done so far won't yield much of a power gain. I am at a bit of a stand still right now and have decided to get a different set of heads. Will update when I pick the new ones up.

That's going to be a nice f'ing engine when your done.. Makes me want to tear mine down and build it....

Thanks, the mods done so far won't yield much of a power gain. I am at a bit of a stand still right now and have decided to get a different set of heads. Will update when I pick the new ones up.

Ahh the LS, possibilities are endless. You could drop it in in stock trim and have the funnest Starion ever! Good luck.

This weekend they ran the Extreme 4x4 LS episode, breaks down all of the LS and cheaper truck variants, with pricing, etc. Must see episode for anybody thinking about a V8 swap.. Sorry but the video won't embed here correctly.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/s9o1me/powerblock-xtreme-4x4-the-ls-series-engines-for-off-road-season-3-ep-136

Edited by Fuze
  • Like 1

I picked up a set of 243 heads with what I believe are PAC springs, and a TFS 228/230 .588/.588 cam. With an ported ls6 intake I should be almost 400hp at the wheels.

Waiting on arp head bolts and valley pan gasket and the long block will be done.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the cam and heads on, I will be installing the new roller bearings on the rockers and measuring the push rod length next. Sorry for the slow updates. but this time of year is quite busy -_-

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/431741_351249408232549_100000424796961_1215952_1325691440_n.jpgs

I approve of this thread :):) :):) good luck with the build, I'm excited to see how it turns out, after the build is complete you should post a how to thread so if anyone else is interested in doing a similar build they have a write up to read first so they know what to expect :)

That is the intent of this thread ;) as for rebuilding the engine there are a few books that I used that have all the how to stuff with great pics and specs

how are you going to run the exhaust? side tubes? single out the back?

I haven't decided yet, I do have a 3" already on the car I might modify to use which would be single rear exit but I want to do separate duals that dump before the rear sub frame for a real nice sound.

here is a clip of the cam I have

[media='']

[/media]

Rich and i Dint find any scrap headers, but he has flanges and said to tell you he has some 2010 Camaro cast manifolds you can try to see if they fit. Can find them all day for 100 bucks. sometimes the C6 guys sell the LS7 manifolds for 150 bucks too and they are tubular shortys.

LS7 style have large oval flat exits, for the tight narrow spaces

http://mongoosems.com/shop/images/IMG_3466.JPG

then 2010 camaro LS3 cast style are dumped more in the back.

http://itguy11.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/080210_1804_2010camaros62.jpg?w=600

you probally dont even worry about this until your mounted, but thinking ahead.

Edited by yokomo

• 3 weeks later...

I see you picked up the 243 heads and ported ls6 intake... did you also get the ls6 mas/ oil pump to go on that stuff too?

not that any of it is needed, i just see that you're really putting some good research/ good healthy oem buildup on this thing. Its really going to haul the mail haha. 400 hp n/a should feel better than 450 hp boosted

Edited by Frenchi934
  • Like 1

I haven't gotten an ls6 intake yet or a maf but I did install a melling high volume oil pump. I think I am going to rock the stock ls1 intake for a bit as I don't want this build to get too crazy yet.

nice. my 01 came with the ls6 intake/maf and oil pump (and all i knew it had on it was the intake when i bought it) lol.

I looked at the melling oil pumps. Welcome to aftermarket support huh? I high performance oil pump for cheaper than you can get a stock conquest pump for...

updates? This thread gets me motivated to work on my pile of crap (lol)

No, I've been pretty lazy. <_<

I did get a trans, ecu, wiring harness, motor mounts etc. I'll post pics later refer to sentence above!

Edited by Scotty Dont