Took car out for first drive :( dissapointed

snowbird

Car has 72k on it, she runs good, leaks nothing and idles perfect. I think my turbo is just trashed. To free rev the car up it takes a considerable amount of time for it to rev up to about 4500, besides that, when driving in 1st gear she really runs out of steam at 3500rpms, and then kinda just feels like the clutch is slipping all the way to 5500, (clutch isnt slipping, just feels like it cause theres no increase in power), and then it totally dies off, 2nd gear is the same, loses power up around 4000 and dies off, 3rd gear is the only gear so far that seems to pull and Im sure that its just the amount of load on the engine trying to pull it so it feels smoother. I doubt Im blowing out spark gapped at .044 on the stock set up. In my past history of turbo engines, I need to put this away for the winter and go over the whole car with a new turbo and turbo back exhaust.

These things that plug into your injectors, they rot and if they are loose or the retainer wires are gone that won't work either. The engine runs on only one injector until the rpms get up to about the place you say it falls off unless there's some boost. The wiring down several inches is rotten too. The injectors may be dirty. The distributor is all gummed up. The vacuum advance is likely dead. This could have nothing to do with the exhaust and nothing to do with the turbo.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/261758_1406605463338_1778479606_672834_2104896_n.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely check out the fuel system. The low miles are nice, but it doesn't change how old the car is. Indiana is definitely right about the injector clips and you should listen to him. My wires were rotted and the clips were bad when I got my car with 80k on it. Do you plan on getting a wideband afr? I can say that I didn't like my car for a couple of years and it turned out my afr ratios were rich and it does make a ton of difference in performance if you have too much fuel. Edited by movin on

I'm going over the whole fuel system right now, new filters, 255lph walbro, Bosch boost regulated FPR, and new injectors plus the clips. I have an AEM wideband from my old talon that I plan on installing, I had back surgery 2 weeks ago so I really can't do too much

Were you able to do anything to the car lately? I had surgery on my L5/S1 vertabrae last year, so I have a good idea what you are going through.

Nathan

Hey, so you know its a lot of pain to deal with then, lol, I had a 8mm herniation between L4 and L5 due to getting hit by a garbage truck at 60mph while I was at a dead stop. Good thing I wasnt killed, but my 99 BMW was toast. Howd you do your back in?

As far as the conquest, not really, I installed the injector clips, the 1G MAS, plugs, wires, deleted a few things, but the car doesnt run any better. It will run go sometimes and sometimes not. My whole issue with doing the rest of the fuel system is the fact that I need to start by dropping the tank and cleaning it all out before I install the pump, filters, and injectors but with all the pain Im in thats not gonna happen anytime soon.

Ive been more focussed on the slipping tranny on my Outback right now as the snows about to fly, the quest is just another side toy, but Im eager to get it running how it should before I have to put it away for the winter.

on both conquests that I've had same thing.. Drop gas tank, clean out surface rust ,(calif cars still have to be cleaned)......change filters, tank hard pick up lines ,get rid of cone filter in hose just before pump and one in engine bay and back flush two screens in top hat .Run injector cleaner a couple of tanks (fuel system is one big loop)cleaned gas tank with toilet boil cleaner that has muradic acid in it. If tank is not to bad put 2 bottles in swish it all around and up side down too,leave for one to 2 days flush out with water 10 times until clean.You can use pool acid but it's strong and it will take off galvinsing in tank if left to long . Back flush injectors too.Use 9 volt battery to open injector ,3/8 tubing filled with injector cleaner and air pressure hooked to 3/8 hose touch 9 volt battery to injector terminals for a second to flush out injectors look on u -tube about set up !!!!!!!!! i bought new injectors haven't even had to use them yet.(going on 2 years) Edited by markhansenconquest

Mark, good battle plan there, but you left out one thing, did it work? Lol, just wanted to hear you say there was a big difference and they fan great after wards. So you don't run any filter under the hood? Or did you just take it out to flush the line? I terraced to hear these answers cause I'm dying to get my car running how it should.

Hey, so you know its a lot of pain to deal with then, lol, I had a 8mm herniation between L4 and L5 due to getting hit by a garbage truck at 60mph while I was at a dead stop. Good thing I wasnt killed, but my 99 BMW was toast. Howd you do your back in?

As far as the conquest, not really, I installed the injector clips, the 1G MAS, plugs, wires, deleted a few things, but the car doesnt run any better. It will run go sometimes and sometimes not. My whole issue with doing the rest of the fuel system is the fact that I need to start by dropping the tank and cleaning it all out before I install the pump, filters, and injectors but with all the pain Im in thats not gonna happen anytime soon.

Ive been more focussed on the slipping tranny on my Outback right now as the snows about to fly, the quest is just another side toy, but Im eager to get it running how it should before I have to put it away for the winter.

I hurt my back when I was a wrestling coach and wrestling with the heavyweight. He was 285 lbs and I was about 176 lbs. I just got twisted the wrong way trying to teach him a move I would use to keep him from getting up and away from me. The insurance company was the funnest part. Even though I had the wrestler as a witness, they said it must have happened somewhere else.