what to use tto remove chip guard stickers on rear quarters with out damaging paint

Standard eraser wheels that go in a drill or whatever SUCK for the chip guards. I have a Snap On air tool specially made to use huge eraser wheels, and even with all the power and torque of the specialty tool, it will take a long time. I've removed a ton of chip guard and the stuff on SQ's is especially hard to remove.

Scotty Gibb told me about some stuff sold on autotrimdesigns.net that is called "GROG". It is a vinyl graphic remover, and is also classified as a paint stripper, but it is very weak as a paint stripper. I have removed 3M chip guard from the front of about 20 or 30 RV's at the RV shop I work at, and removed chip guard from at least 20 cars (some SQ's, some not) only 2 of those times did it actually try taking the paint too, and that was on RV's. It is the best stuff I've used to remove SQ chip guards, bar none. You can spend hours with an eraser wheel, heat gun, Goo Gone, etc... Or you can spend a half hour with some GROG.

Here is what I've learned from messing with Chip Guard stuff, and other vinyl...

Some stuff is tougher than others and harder to remove. Other kinds aren't that tough, but can't simply be peeled off because it will break up into little pieces. Like was said above, eraser wheels work on some, and is probably pretty safe most of the time, but if you heat up the paint under the chip guard too much, you can take that off too. That's easier to do when you're dealing with a super tough chip guard (like the SQ's). If you are using a chemical stripper like GROG, don't leave it on too long. The two times I had paint lift was when I left the GROG on for a longer time than normal on a hot day, and I'm thinking that's why it did it. Apply the GROG, then wait about 10 minutes, then use a plastic scraper (metal scrapers will scratch the paint underneath) to take off all you can. It will likely take off all or most of the vinyl of the chip guard on the first application, and probably leave a bunch of adhesive. From there, you can do more applications of the GROG, or you may find you can take the adhesive off with some Goo Gone or laquer thinner, and a plastic scraper.

The trick with removing chip guard is to only use the harshest thing you need to in order to remove it. I've had a couple chip guards on RV's that were able to be taken off fairly easily with Goo Gone. Sure, the GROG would have probably taken it off quicker, but I knew there was no possible way Goo Gone would damage the paint in any way, so I used that even tho it took a little more time. Laquer thinner is a little harsher than Goo Gone, but is pretty safe for most fully cured paint. However, it could damage areas of fresh paint, or even older paint if the paint is laquer based, or of low quality. 99.9% of OEM paint finishes will stand up to laquer thinner, as long as they're not fresh off the assembly line. Heat guns work great and usually won't damage paint but can be very time consuming.

Like I said, tho, the GROG is what I've found to work best on SQ chip guards. It is the ONLY way I've been able to remove SQ chip guards with no damage. The other things I tried damaged the paint in one way or another, and required some paint work. Luckily, those were on cars that I was painting anyway.

This is just what has worked for me. Unfortunately, I have had to strip off more chip guard than I have wanted to. I usually do it about once every week or two on an RV where I work. If anyone thinks removing a 6" X12" chip guard off a SQ sucks, they should try it out on an 8 foot by 6 foot section LOL. Even with the best removal processes, sometimes it takes 10-15 hours. for me to get it all off. Of course, I don't consider myself an expert on this at all, I've just had to mess with it a lot more than the average guy. I hope some of this info helps ya out.

Oh, and if you want to replace your chip guards, I am about to start offering them along with the rest of my vinyl prodocts soon. Another member just got a hold of me this week wanting replacement chip guards, so I am working on getting a file made up to the exact size and shape of the OEM ones. I should have them available in the next 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

thanks side -swipe,frenchi934,dmnd star and,burton for your information!!! . Im out of work and im working on my baby!!!!!! to keep me my self occupied . i have taken head off to replace bad head gasket ,so while im in there i rebuield p/s pump,steering gear, replacing exhaust studs with 3/8-16 socket head cap screws with the heads ground off because those 8mm screws strip out at the rear of head ( beefing it up) I just want to be doing other things in between to get my baby done. I have had this one two years and not had a lot of time to make her look good. this is my 2nd one (black on black87) my first one was my dads 87 (gold on burgandy) got it in 2005 had it 2 years lady shot out in front of me!!! and totoled it . I was sick for 2 weeks .( IT was my dads baby and now it was mine finally than it go taken away!!!) when i get better with pc i will post all my pictures .thanks again,for all answers and listening to my sob story.

• 4 weeks later...
Standard eraser wheels that go in a drill or whatever SUCK for the chip guards. I have a Snap On air tool specially made to use huge eraser wheels, and even with all the power and torque of the specialty tool, it will take a long time. I've removed a ton of chip guard and the stuff on SQ's is especially hard to remove.

Scotty Gibb told me about some stuff sold on autotrimdesigns.net that is called "GROG". It is a vinyl graphic remover, and is also classified as a paint stripper, but it is very weak as a paint stripper. I have removed 3M chip guard from the front of about 20 or 30 RV's at the RV shop I work at, and removed chip guard from at least 20 cars (some SQ's, some not) only 2 of those times did it actually try taking the paint too, and that was on RV's. It is the best stuff I've used to remove SQ chip guards, bar none. You can spend hours with an eraser wheel, heat gun, Goo Gone, etc... Or you can spend a half hour with some GROG.

Here is what I've learned from messing with Chip Guard stuff, and other vinyl...

Some stuff is tougher than others and harder to remove. Other kinds aren't that tough, but can't simply be peeled off because it will break up into little pieces. Like was said above, eraser wheels work on some, and is probably pretty safe most of the time, but if you heat up the paint under the chip guard too much, you can take that off too. That's easier to do when you're dealing with a super tough chip guard (like the SQ's). If you are using a chemical stripper like GROG, don't leave it on too long. The two times I had paint lift was when I left the GROG on for a longer time than normal on a hot day, and I'm thinking that's why it did it. Apply the GROG, then wait about 10 minutes, then use a plastic scraper (metal scrapers will scratch the paint underneath) to take off all you can. It will likely take off all or most of the vinyl of the chip guard on the first application, and probably leave a bunch of adhesive. From there, you can do more applications of the GROG, or you may find you can take the adhesive off with some Goo Gone or laquer thinner, and a plastic scraper.

The trick with removing chip guard is to only use the harshest thing you need to in order to remove it. I've had a couple chip guards on RV's that were able to be taken off fairly easily with Goo Gone. Sure, the GROG would have probably taken it off quicker, but I knew there was no possible way Goo Gone would damage the paint in any way, so I used that even tho it took a little more time. Laquer thinner is a little harsher than Goo Gone, but is pretty safe for most fully cured paint. However, it could damage areas of fresh paint, or even older paint if the paint is laquer based, or of low quality. 99.9% of OEM paint finishes will stand up to laquer thinner, as long as they're not fresh off the assembly line. Heat guns work great and usually won't damage paint but can be very time consuming.

Like I said, tho, the GROG is what I've found to work best on SQ chip guards. It is the ONLY way I've been able to remove SQ chip guards with no damage. The other things I tried damaged the paint in one way or another, and required some paint work. Luckily, those were on cars that I was painting anyway.

This is just what has worked for me. Unfortunately, I have had to strip off more chip guard than I have wanted to. I usually do it about once every week or two on an RV where I work. If anyone thinks removing a 6" X12" chip guard off a SQ sucks, they should try it out on an 8 foot by 6 foot section LOL. Even with the best removal processes, sometimes it takes 10-15 hours. for me to get it all off. Of course, I don't consider myself an expert on this at all, I've just had to mess with it a lot more than the average guy. I hope some of this info helps ya out.

Oh, and if you want to replace your chip guards, I am about to start offering them along with the rest of my vinyl prodocts soon. Another member just got a hold of me this week wanting replacement chip guards, so I am working on getting a file made up to the exact size and shape of the OEM ones. I should have them available in the next 2-3 weeks.

Great post!

I've got more tips.....

Last week we had a RV with failing chip guard, but this stuff wanted to come off pretty easy just peeling it off without any chemicals or heat. Unfortunately, it wanted to pull the paint off with it too. Using the GROG and other chemicals made the paint want to come off even easier. One of the paint colors was going to be nearly impossible to match, so while I didn't care about pulling off the other 2 colors of paint, I wanted to make sure the hard to match color came out unscathed. I called the RV manufacturer to see if they either knew the paint code, or had a trick for getting the chip guard they use off.

They told me that they use a wallpaper steamer to start with, then use Xzylene to get the adhesive off that doesn't come off. It worked great. The steamer cut the chip guard removal in half and I was left with just a few spots of adhesive that the Xzylene took care of easily with a plastic scraper.

The Xzylene wasn't cheap, and I'm gussing the wallpaper steamer isn't cheap either, but luckily, one of the shop owners had one at home and brought it in.

I've got more tips.....

Last week we had a RV with failing chip guard, but this stuff wanted to come off pretty easy just peeling it off without any chemicals or heat. Unfortunately, it wanted to pull the paint off with it too. Using the GROG and other chemicals made the paint want to come off even easier. One of the paint colors was going to be nearly impossible to match, so while I didn't care about pulling off the other 2 colors of paint, I wanted to make sure the hard to match color came out unscathed. I called the RV manufacturer to see if they either knew the paint code, or had a trick for getting the chip guard they use off.

They told me that they use a wallpaper steamer to start with, then use Xzylene to get the adhesive off that doesn't come off. It worked great. The steamer cut the chip guard removal in half and I was left with just a few spots of adhesive that the Xzylene took care of easily with a plastic scraper.

The Xzylene wasn't cheap, and I'm gussing the wallpaper steamer isn't cheap either, but luckily, one of the shop owners had one at home and brought it in.

I love 'OUTSIDE THE BOX REMEDIES" I been doin' this crap for 24years and not ashamed to admit I am still learn something new on a regular basis.I always look forward to ur bodywork/detailing posts.Keep it comin cause my brain aint full yet--lol

p.s to bad u are so far away my new work truck would be some help with ur paint matching issues--lol

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87