need a lesson in timing

jrhgolf23

Im finishing up my headgasket change and i need to do some timing. but my only problem is i have no idea how..

ive been reading that thread started a few days ago about the timing and valves and what not, but didnt really find what i was looking for.

Basically, how do i do the timing? i know it has to be at TDC and what not, but idk what to do with the cam..

sorry for the vague and big question. but i just need some help with it and i dont really have anyone that can help me with it.

I do have Lance_S's help, but i dont remember if he told me he knows how to or not.

thanks yall

wowww, idk why i posted this in the parts for sale forum.. :unsure: lol. didnt realize i was in here. someone move this please!

Edited by jrhgolf23

Hey bro,

Yeah, I know how and can help but it's good for you to learn. You want the first cylinder at TDC which stands for top dead center. You can find it buy pulling the spark plug so you have access to the spark plug hole. Take piece of tissue paper and gently put it in the hole. Roll the motor over with the wrench I gave you until you see the tissue paper spit out, then you know your cylinder is on the way up. when you see the tissue paper blow out take a small screw driver and gently put it in the spark plug hole. Now continue to to slowly roll the motor over by hand with the socket. Go slow and never turn it in a counterclockwise direction. Always go clockwise. Now continue watching the screwdriver handle. You will see it start to move when the top of the piston makes contact with it. Continue to gently turn to the motor over until the screwdriver has reached it's peak. If you go past it you can start the process all over again. When piston number one is at the top of it's stroke you have reached TDC.

Then read up on installing the distributor. It's easy to install, there is a dimple on the gear which needs to be lined up with another mark. Then it's installed. Go to Professor Quests site, he does a nice write up on installing the distributor with lots of pics!

Once you get the disto in correctly the motor will start. I have a timing light which we will then set it at 10 degrees at idle. Remember the disto vacuum line has to come off the disto and the other end gets plugged to set timing.

Call with questions.

with stabbiing the distributor, that lttle mark he is talking about you want to kind of turn it so that the notch will be straight up . but first, take your distributor and find where it says number one, mark it pull the cap, stab the distributor, bolt it down. then make sure your rotor is turned to that little mark you made on your base and then tighten the cap back on and you should be good from there

I would use this link in the SOS manuals to set up your timing. http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=944&sid=5f6a69e355ab20b10c8012418e7ceb05

It has pictures in it that exactly show you how the various engine timing components must be aligned when reassembling the engine top end.

Did you remove the cam drive gear from the timing chain during removal of the head? Are you absolutely positive that the cam drive gear has not moved/jumped a link or 2 on the timing chain since you unbolted it from the cam?

Does your engine still have the balance shafts installed?

The reason I'm asking these questions is it sounds to me like you just removed the head without ensuring that the engine was at #1 piston top dead center and you did not match mark anything. This has been done many times before by new SQC'ers over the years and results in having to go back and get the things I mentioned above ALL lined up properly again.

Sometimes it's not just a matter of stabbing home the distributor correctly. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN